Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alan Scott: The Ongoing Series... would you buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ringslinger74 View Post
    I'm not saying that I would want him to bust up Mafia stuff or anything. I was thinking more like Super-Villians who have less then cosmic goals. Kinda like Flash's Rogues gallery. Use villians like:
    Grundy
    Vandal Savage
    Hecter Hammond
    Harlequin (maybe a new recurring villian)
    Neron
    Roulette
    Ultra Humanite
    Stuff like that...as well as some Mafia stuff here and there. Mr. Bones and the DEO could be recurring cast members as well as Obsidian and the rest of the JSA. I totally think it could work.

-Erik
    That's the Ticket...

Comment

Is it me or do some of you feel like there was a plot line lost in Rebirth, where Alan started getting all weak?

I was kind of hoping they would make him a regular GL.

I started reading comics around the time of the first Crisis. So I really had no idea who Alan was when he was introduced back at the end of Armageddon.

I know there's some die hard Alan fans but I don't get why he can't be another regular GL (other than his past history) the same way I don't get why most people dig Marvel over DC.

Comment

Originally posted by lanternut View Post
        Is it me or do some of you feel like there was a plot line lost in Rebirth, where Alan started getting all weak?

I was kind of hoping they would make him a regular GL.

I started reading comics around the time of the first Crisis. So I really had no idea who Alan was when he was introduced back at the end of Armageddon.

I know there's some die hard Alan fans but I don't get why he can't be another regular GL (other than his past history) the same way I don't get why most people dig Marvel over DC.
        Cool, another post crisis fan, i seen a Alan Scott card and learned about him, yea marvel suck but the movies ain't to bad.

Comment

Yes, if they took the whole Starheart out and made him a regular GL.

Comment

There was indeed some stuff lost in Rebirth regarding Alan and Jade. Nothing major though. They were going to have a larger part in the mini according to the original plot/scripts that are printed in the Rebirth Hardcover.

I don't think Alan should EVER be just another GL. I like that he's different but the same. I don't want him being beholden to the Gaurdians.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by ringslinger74 View Post
              There was indeed some stuff lost in Rebirth regarding Alan and Jade. Nothing major though. They were going to have a larger part in the mini according to the original plot/scripts that are printed in the Rebirth Hardcover.

I don't think Alan should EVER be just another GL. I like that he's different but the same. I don't want him being beholden to the Gaurdians.

-Erik
              I totally agree, i feel the same about kyle(most people don't) but there is enough GL soldiers, time for some original thinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
                I totally agree, i feel the same about kyle(most people don't) but there is enough GL soldiers, time for some original thinkers.
                I think I get what you're saying, but it's a little bit demeaning to the characters to insinuate being part of the Corps means you're not an original thinker. I mean, yeah, you've got Smurfs telling you what to do from time to time (I'm not a fan of their needless resurrection... Ganthet around should have been enough), but you're pretty much flying solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                  I think I get what you're saying, but it's a little bit demeaning to the characters to insinuate being part of the Corps means you're not an original thinker. I mean, yeah, you've got Smurfs telling you what to do from time to time (I'm not a fan of their needless resurrection... Ganthet around should have been enough), but you're pretty much flying solo.
                  Thats true but as long as Kyles in the corps theres that Hal/Kyle beef among fans and in order to get the best Kyle charater he needs creative stories but GLC makes him a back burner charater, I'm not sayin put him out the corps I'm just sayin if they give him the respect Hal gets and they'll get the best of the charater IMO.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I would at least give it a try. I have enjoyed reading about him in the past. However, to be honest my main GL interest is tied to the whole GLC mythos, and an Alan Scott series that was COMPLETELY separated from all the other GLs would need to be top notch to keep me interested in the long run.

Comment

yea, i think it all comes down to if your a fan of the charater because he is a separate entity from the corps. I'm a Alan Scott fan so i would probably like it but a regular GL fan might not.

Comment

I think a maxi done by Neil Gaiman and Drawn by Tim Sale is the way to go. And really explore the Magic of Alans Lantern. As only Gaiman could and Tim Sales art would give it a kind of grimy magical essense.

I would by this and I think alot of others would. Plus DC would catch the Gaiman fans that have zero interest in Alan.

I am a Gaiman fan, I am a DC Fan, I had not bought a Marvel Book in nearly 10 years.

Marvel announces 1602 By Gaiman..... It went on my list. and I own all of them, I have no idea where to store them in my collection by I got them, Even with just a basic understanding of the Marvel U I really enjoyed that series

So Gaiman / Sale Presents Alan Scott: Green Lantern
                        Subtitle: Whence came the Green Flame?

Someone go present this idea to DC now, the more I think about it the better it sounds!
                        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Yea, A maxi is probably a better idea, in case of bad sales and it would make a good story without making it drawing out (if they give a decent conclusion)

Comment

I voted for it of course. I love Alan Scott, love him as GL, and I love the JSA.

That said, I do think there would be some big problems making an Alan Scott GL series fly. First off, the guy is in his 90s. Leaving aside the whole bit about his power giving him the ability to change how old he looks, can Dc market a guy in his 90s who looks 50 that's married to a 85 or 90 year old woman? Do they kill molly off? Make Alan single again? What about his costume? I love it and all the outdated outfits of the old JSA, but that works in a team book. On his own, DC would be pressured to revamp Alan and "clean him up" for a new generation. They could deage him to his 20s or 30s again, and then take the Starheart out of him completely to make him 100% human once and for all, so that he'd have to rely on his ring and give the stories someillusion of danger to the character.

The way I honestly see it, is that there are two options for the guy if DC was serious about giving him a shot (which I know they aren't).

One is to deage him and make him follow his path in Kingdom Come. Give him that armor or something that reslembles it. A costume that is red, green, yellow, brown and purple just doesn't work in a mainstream ongoing. Kill off Molly and make a whole new cast of characters, and a new direction. It would need some hook for the series to make it stand out form GL and GLC.

The second is to do a Vertigo series much like Sandman Mystery Theater, and set it in Alan's heyday in the 1940s. Turn away from super hero stories and make it a mystical horror title, where alan fights monsters and magic.

The second choice I listed is the most pleasing to ME, but I could see how DC could play with the first option and make it fly.

Comment

yea thats what they should have done when they deaged him in GLCQ. I think thats where they was goin but didn't get there. The vertigo idea is the best, it make the most sense but if he gets deaged(again) than molly has to go and a new cast is needed to differ from GLC

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
                                yea thats what they should have done when they deaged him in GLCQ. I think thats where they was goin but didn't get there. The vertigo idea is the best, it make the most sense but if he gets deaged(again) than molly has to go and a new cast is needed to differ from GLC
                                Actually I think if the deaged him again, Keep Molly on let him suffer through that. Then have her die of old age while he knows that he has at least another 40 years or so. I think a lot of interesting story could come out of 30ish Alan married to 90ish Molly.

There is serious character developement potential in this
                                My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X