View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #8095
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Semi-Pro (2008)

"Everybody panic! Oh my God, there's a bear loose in the coliseum! There will be no refunds! Your refund will be escaping this deathtrap with your life! If you have a small child, use it as a shield! They love the tender meat! Cover your sodas! Dewie loves sugar!"

(I wanted the speech Monix gives to Coffee about never learning to play, but IMDB didn't fucking have it)

A struggling basketball team puts it all on the line to earn a spot on the shortlist for getting into the NBA. Shit happens in the meantime.

I thought this was pretty funny (and at times emotional), and my dad found it somewhat amusing (even though he dislikes Will Ferrell). I liked Woody Harrelson's character as a rebounding vet who actually gives a damn about the game, and I found Josh Braaten's Twiggy to be oddly likable. Arnett, Daly, and Richter were hilarious supports (and the teamplay between Arnett and Daly was great).

That one Spurs player (Pat Kilbane) was such a bastard, but so familiar. Well, I didn't recognize him as fast as I should have, but he was a regular on Mad TV, which I was fanatically as a kid.

The ending was great. Highly recommend.