Geoff Johns to "reinvent" the mythology for GLC movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
    Fuck off Johns. You were never that good.
    He was on his first JSA run. And first Flash run. And GL up to about #25. He was the shit then.

Comment

Since GJ got his start working in the film industry, wouldn't this be more like a dream job rather than a demotion?

As far as 'reinventing' the concept, maybe it's in the context of how it was portrayed before in film... which was nearly complete shit. The central power battery should NEVER be a GL symbol shaped hunk of rock. If the Corps is to have more focus I hope we get what we need in this film which is more Oa, more with other GL's, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
        ...As far as 'reinventing' the concept, maybe it's in the context of how it was portrayed before in film... which was nearly complete shit. The central power battery should NEVER be a GL symbol shaped hunk of rock. If the Corps is to have more focus I hope we get what we need in this film which is more Oa, more with other GL's, etc.
        That wasn't the battery. Maybe people online were calling it that, but they're wrong and the movie clearly shows another source of power. When Tomar-re first shows Hal around Oa, they fly through the source of the GL power as Hal asks "what's with all the green?" It's like a tower flowing with green energy. They start flying through it at 44 minutes in the theatrical cut and the actual battery itself (a glowing orb with a frame) is seen at 44:32. See here. Tomar even uses the word "battery" as they fly to this source.

The rock is just a staging area or gathering place when all the lanterns assemble. even in that scene you can tell it's not the battery because the light that emanates from all the GLs glowing ("we are the corps") is perpendicular to the greater light emanating from the battery at the poles. I like to think of that rock as an ancient monument carved by the first lanterns and that's why it's wearing down, but that's not said.

[BTW: I've seen this movie a bunch of times.]
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-26-2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

It makes sense that the CPB would be deep underground like it was in the movie. To me it came off like it was the core of the planet actually. But as much sense as it makes for security reasons, the fanboy in me screams that it should have been above ground as a giant inspirational mecca.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            It makes sense that the CPB would be deep underground like it was in the movie. To me it came off like it was the core of the planet actually. But as much sense as it makes for security reasons, the fanboy in me screams that it should have been above ground as a giant inspirational mecca.
            Yeah, they depict it as the planet core for Oa and then there are four "poles" (i.e. N, S, W, E) which seem to offer more or less direct access and shine green light out into space

Of the several problems with the movie (mind you, I actually like it), though, I wouldn't personally list the design of Oa. That stuff came off pretty well including the Guardians' citadel, alien designs, Hal's training, and the general busyness of Oa. That's all my favorite bit in the movie (uniform problems aside). I thought they captured the ideas well while emphasizing the alienness of it all (as opposed to the Silver Age designs--as much as I love them--which seemed to convey that no matter how far you go in the galaxy, it's only slightly different than earth).

It's a shame they cut an intended scene with Morro and the markers for fallen lanterns (IIRC, you can kind of see it in the distance and there's an unfinished deleted scene in the features).
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I agree. The Oa scenes and training sequence are my favorite part of the movie too. Once I let go of the idea that all of the architecture on Oa is yellow, the movie version of Oa rocked quite a bit for me.

Comment

Can this guy just go away please?

https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-co...rdians-galaxy/

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                  The popular comics writer gave a bit of extra hope to his fans, adding, “If people liked my run on Green Lantern, then hopefully they’ll like what I’m doing.”
                  Well.............

Comment

http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/geof...-movie-script/

Comment

The last paragraph in particular sounded pretty alarming.

"But it's really going to be about where we are in the director and everything else, and that's a question, we get a great script, and we get a great director, and they want to make the movie and then [we'll see]."

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                        "But it's really going to be about where we are in the director and everything else, and that's a question, we get a great script, and we get a great director, and they want to make the movie and then [we'll see]."
                        He's literally talking about nothing.

Here's some more:
                        http://collider.com/geoff-johns-inte...mpression=true

Comment

Comment

If his script is anything like his comic run, he will pad the hell out of it with his own baggage and GL fans will be wondering when the actual Green Lantern part comes in.

Comment

https://heroichollywood.com/green-la...cript-scratch/

Geoff junked Goyer's treatment. Flying solo.

Comment

I hope Johns starting over on the script solo doesn't mean the Lethal Weapon in space idea is out the window because I really like that. If he pens another origin story it will have 27 colors of rings right from the get go.

Comment

Working...
                                X