Do you answer your phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you answer your phone?

When someone calls you on your cell phone, do you generally answer or do you let it go to voicemail? Do you mentally do the "if it was important, they would send a text" math?

I guess I'm that way. At least, now I am. I'll generally let the voicemail be my "call screener."

The cause is, as the years have passed I've found that my friends are like me in that they prefer to text... unless they need something or want me to do something I don't want to do (i.e., give them a ride somewhere, loan money, do some house project, etc., you name it)... THEN they will call me. So I kind of just stopped taking calls.

Secondly, do you like talking on the phone anymore?
    Yes, I pretty much do
    10.00%
    No, I usually don't
    20.00%
    Depends how I feel
    30.00%
    I don't talk on the phone if I can help it
    30.00%
    Hard no
    10.00%

If I recognize the number. If my parents or older sister calls me then it's probably important, but if it's a random number I don't know, then I ignore it (especially if it's from a location where I don't know a single fucking person).

What annoys me is that half the time my contacts are now anonymous numbers, even my family gets scrambled. I don't know how to change the setting on my phone so that it gives the name if they're in my contacts.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

If I recognize the caller I probably will. But there's one relative who will call me unexpectedly, ramble all over the place and talk my ear off, so I call her back when it's convenient for me.

I've never liked talking on the phone, because I'm an introvert. The rise of robocalls has further turned me against the phone. If you know me, you can email me and I'll see it fairly soon.

Comment

Before I had a phone that would tell me who was calling, I always answered it if I was able to. Now that it tells me who is calling, I only answer if it is somebody I know, mainly because nowadays MOST calls are garbage sales calls or surveys. But I can't recall ever thinking "if it was important they would text". Texting is a crappy way to carry on a conversation, IMHO (message boards aren't really great for that purpose, either, come to think of it, yet here I am ). I use texting for short, informational statements, or quick questions, like telling my wife I'm leaving work, or asking her if she wants me to pick up something while I'm at the store.
        Mister Ed
        Horse of a Different Color
        Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-13-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          When someone calls you on your cell phone, do you generally answer or do you let it go to voicemail? Do you mentally do the "if it was important, they would send a text" math?
          Text math wouldn't work for me. We had texting disabled on our family plan for years (because my mother used to get too many texts from her niece). We reinstated it a few months ago, but I suck at it and have only received or sent about 10 texts in the months we've had it back.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
          If I recognize the number. . .
          This. Problem is I still get way more calls on the land line than my cell and I'm rarely by the phone with caller ID. BUT we get 6-10 solicitors a day, so I screen the calls unless I happen to see the number (it also comes up on Fios cable, but I don't use that).

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          ...I've never liked talking on the phone, because I'm an introvert. The rise of robocalls has further turned me against the phone. If you know me, you can email me and I'll see it fairly soon.
          This and this. I hate the phone. I hate answering calls (it disrupts my plans) and I hate making calls even more. I hate my cell most of all and mostly it just sits next to my TV charging (I check it once or twice a day and find missed calls from hours before). I have an outdated flip phone, which is already bigger than I'd like (I'll try to never get a smart phone), but AT&T let me keep it, so I did.

I only have one because I can't physically change a tire or walk far and want it for emergencies, but I honestly still forget it about 1/3 of the time I leave the house.

Comment

I never answer it unless I know who's calling, and even then, I sometimes don't answer it unless I'm at home. I'm on the road a great deal and I don't want to kill myself or someone else from trying to screw around with my phone.

Also, most of the calls that I receive these days are spam robo calls, scam IRS tax nonsense and a recording of some lady speaking in Mandarin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
              and a recording of some lady speaking in Mandarin.
              I'm more amused by this than I have reason to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                . . . and a recording of some lady speaking in Mandarin.
                Yeah, what's up with that? I get that too.

Comment

I more or less do. If the number is logged in my contacts then I usually answer it, unless it's someone I don't feel like talking to. Or if I am busy, working or driving.

Usually if I don't know the number it's someone trying to sell me insurance for a vehicle I haven't had in years, reduce my student loan payments I don't have or some other kind of robo call.

Plus I'm a ham with a ton of personality who loves the sound of my own voice. Who am I to rob loved ones of the chance of hearing me run my gums?

Comment

Shit, I totally forgot to mention that I heard on the radio this dude who answers spam calls and then imitates Donald Duck's voice perfectly, which drives away the spam callers apparently.

Comment

i only answer my phone if i know who's calling

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Do you answer your phone?

If it wasn't for Angry Birds, social media, and various other applications, I'd get rid of my cellphone completely. My phone has the volume switched off 95% of the time. 99% of the time I have it set on do not disturb mode. I check my voicemail and texts regularly, but only check my emails once or twice per week. I have a 60-90 day response time to Facebook messenger things.

I don't drive. I sleep during the day. I'm financially devastated after a divorce, and recently lost my job. I'm only mentioning those life events to show how few (limited) resources I have to actually help someone.

With all that typed, my family and close friends have been provided with alternative means of contacting me. I always respond to any immediate concerns or needs in a timely manner.

Sent from the toilet 🚽
                        Bob Sachs
                        Voice of Guy Gardner
                        Last edited by Bob Sachs; 11-25-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X