Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #19 [Preview]

0.00%
    0.00%
    57.14%
    42.86%
    0.00%
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 04-27-2017, 03:10 AM.

So, I mostly liked this issue.

The exchange between Kyle and Soranik was fun (only Terminator 1 & 2, LOL). I'd be fine with a rekindle of that one (makes more sense than Carol).

I liked the movie reference (Hal's a doer).

I thought [*spoilers*] they were pushing it with Hal saying the corps could call it a night before he even saw the impacts. I know Hal can be cocky, but he's not Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

The exchange between Kyle and Soranik was fun (only Terminator 1 & 2, LOL). I'd be fine with a rekindle of that one (makes more sense than Carol).

I liked the movie reference (Hal's a doer).

I thought [*spoilers*] they were pushing it with Hal saying the corps could call it a night before he even saw the impacts. I know Hal can be cocky, but he's not Guy.
      I like their exchange, but the last time they talked Soranik was almost at his throat for lying to her, I don't see how she could just forget about it, wouldn't she doubt Kyle is using her as a compensation again? It does make more sense than Carol, of course. (Where's Cowgirl...)

Hal has always been pretty prideful, albeit he does it with more certainty than roughness (i.e. Guy). After all, he and Guy were both chosen at the same time, Hal just happened to be closer to the proximity (they haven't retcon that, have they?)

I'm still having trouble getting over the fact that Guy beat up Arkillos. If it was a ring-sling battle then I could see Guy having an edge, but they were brawling with raw muscle and Arkillos didn't break Guy's neck with his first punch? And several after? Are they serious? They could've let the two fight and Guy keeps getting back up, with Arkillos called it quit after acknowledging their similar loyalty and attitude, that would've been smoother. This is the same kind of BS that Sinestro could plan years ahead and Jordan would just rush with nothing but his ring and end a well-woven campaign, but the writer obviously wants the Earthlings to be banally powerful beyond science and logic.

And in this issue, an omen of the yellow fusing with the green. Hate it. GL is the center of the show, I get it, but do they really have to make it as if the universe cannot exist without the green, that green has to win all the time, soundly and dominantly? The seven Corps of equal strength forms a much more balance cast than making one of them far superior. What is a hero without a villain at least as powerful, who wins as frequently, and capable of giving heroes pause mentally?

I hope the Sinestro Corps and GL never merge, which seems to be the case with the current flow. I believe one could do good (and evil) with any color, with different methods from green, which is why I appreciate the potential of Sinestro Corps and Red Lanterns.
      :Gray Lantern the True Neutral:

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Considering we're back to Guy having a drunk abusive Father instead of the New 52's prideful from a long line of Police officers one [which sadly means his sister no longer exists] then I think its safe to say the Kyle/Carol relationship never happened either.

This is what I can't stand about these constant Universal reboots. It makes everything confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
          Considering we're back to Guy having a drunk abusive Father instead of the New 52's prideful from a long line of Police officers one [which sadly means his sister no longer exists] then I think its safe to say the Kyle/Carol relationship never happened either.
          I think I could live with that. That relationship was about as natural as Superman hooking up with Catwoman.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberium View Post
            I'm still having trouble getting over the fact that Guy beat up Arkillos. If it was a ring-sling battle then I could see Guy having an edge, but they were brawling with raw muscle and Arkillos didn't break Guy's neck with his first punch? And several after? Are they serious?
            I have similar problem with that fight. Could Venditti really not have thought of a more interesting or creative way for Guy to come out on top? I get that Guy is Diehard and can take a beating, but that really stretched my suspension of disbelief.

In regards to the latest issue, I wasn't thrilled with the artwork. He seems like a decent artist, but the inconsistency makes me think he was either rushed or can't handle the schedule. The layouts and character acting was also flat to me. I hope he's not a regular on this book. I thought EVS and Sandoval switching off would be enough.
            Kane2814
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Kane2814; 05-01-2017, 03:49 AM.

Comment

I actually prefer Marion's art over Sandoval's, whose work I never particularly cared for, and I could never really get why people praised him. Not that he's a bad artist, but he just has a style I find uninteresting. Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I liked Marion on Bloodlines, too.

The schedule seems to be taking a toll on the art in general, it seems to me. There's oftentimes not a lot of work going on in the backgrounds, which is an indicator that the artists are rushing. Van Sciver turns in some really detailed stuff sometimes, but he cuts corners other times by copying and pasting panels here and there, and he skimps on backgrounds from time to time, too, or he'll make REALLY tiny figures in a big panel and won't even do a background, but leave it to the colorist to fill in with stars or sky. All of those things are corner cutting techniques, not that I entirely blame them, because I'm sure it's not always easy to keep up with the demands of the schedule.

Also, I'm going to guess off the top of my head that Van Sciver hasn't turned in as many issues as Sandoval has, but I'm too lazy at the moment to actually confirm that.
              Star-Lantern
              Weaponer of Qward
              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-01-2017, 05:59 PM.
              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

This is what I can't stand about these constant Universal reboots. It makes everything confusing.
                And where have all these changes in continuity come from? Convergence? I've never liked Guy coming from a huge family of Police officers (or having Kyle and Carol together in a relationship), but it seems odd to me they change details like these ones without explanation.

Comment

I think its safe to say the Kyle/Carol relationship never happened either.
                  So Kyle never became the White Lantern? bc Carol was a big influence on that

Nor the entire Justin Jordan run or most of Vendetti where White Lantern was mayor factor?

Even King acwknoledge Kyle/Carol in Omega Men

Comment

I think it's still in. I haven't seen anything to the contrary (like Kyle referring to Natu as his last date or something).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeronimo Thompson View Post
                      And where have all these changes in continuity come from? Convergence? I've never liked Guy coming from a huge family of Police officers (or having Kyle and Carol together in a relationship), but it seems odd to me they change details like these ones without explanation.
                      It was in the 0 issues they did when they first rolled out the new 52.

Comment

It was in the 0 issues they did when they first rolled out the new 52.
                        Yes, but what I was asking about is when have they erased that Guy's family of Police officers introduced in Green Lantern Corps #0 (if I remember it properly). I understood from your previous message that Guy's past has recently changed.

Comment

I haven't read the issue yet, but couldn't Guy's dad still be a cop and be an alcoholic and abusive to his family when he gets home?

~//V\\~

Comment

As far as I know, Guy Gardner's dad still has history as a police officer, as does Guy himself. I believe the abusive aspect of him was revisited in one of Charles Soule's Red Lantern issues. So, the short of it is Guy's dad is a cop who practiced domestic violence. Some cops are bad people.
                            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeronimo Thompson View Post
                              Yes, but what I was asking about is when have they erased that Guy's family of Police officers introduced in Green Lantern Corps #0 (if I remember it properly). I understood from your previous message that Guy's past has recently changed.
                              We got a glimpse that maybe back to the abusive alcoholic Dock worker Dad in the issue he fought Arkillo.

Comment

Working...
                              X