Sandman on Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandman on Netflix

THR: 'Sandman' TV Series From Neil Gaiman, David Goyer — With Huge Price Tag — a Go at Netflix
    Neil Gaiman's beloved Vertigo comic Sandman is finally coming to the screen.

More than three years after New Line's failed attempt to turn the graphic novel into a feature film, Netflix has signed what sources describe as a massive financial deal with Warner Bros. Television to adapt the best-seller into a live-action TV series. Sources familiar with the deal note that it is the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done.

Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, ABC's The Catch, Grey's Anatomy) is set to write and serve as showrunner on the straight-to-series drama. Gaiman, who created the ongoing monthly comic, will exec produce alongside David Goyer. Gaiman and Goyer were both attached to New Line's most recent attempts to adapt Sandman for the big screen.

Netflix and Warners declined comment as a formal deal has not yet closed. An episode count was not immediately available.

The Netflix take represents the first Sandman TV series after numerous efforts to adapt Gaiman's horror, fantasy and mythology tale about Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, and the Endless, the powerful group of siblings that includes Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).

Attempts to turn Sandman into a feature film franchise started in the 1990s with Warner Bros. — the parent company of Vertigo, the former imprint of DC Comics. The film went through multiple incarnations and writers in the 1990s and early 2000s and eventually toiled away in development purgatory. Gaiman (whose work has been adapted for TV with Starz's American Gods, Amazon's Good Omens) announced in late 2013 that he was teaming with Joseph Gordon-Levitt for a feature film that wound up being set up at Warner Bros.-owned New Line. Gordon-Levitt was set to star and direct before bailing on the film following creative differences with the studio in March 2016. Eric Heisserer, the last screenwriter attached to New Line's Sandman, said in November 2016 that he was no longer attached to the film.

"I … came to the conclusion that the best version of this property exists as an HBO series or limited series, not as a feature film, not even as a trilogy," Heisserer told iO9 in November 2016. "The structure of the feature film really doesn't mesh with this. So I went back and said here's the work that I've done. This isn’t where it should be. It needs to go to TV."

Sources say Warners, which controls the IP, took the Sandman TV pitch to multiple outlets, including corporate sibling HBO. The premium cable network did not make a play for the series given the massive price tag attached (and likely number of other big world shows in the works) and Netflix snapped it up as the streamer continues to make an active play for massive IP that could be turned into subscriber-friendly franchises a la Amazon's Lord of the Rings and HBO's Game of Thrones.

Since parting ways with Marvel, Netflix has aggressively pursued big-name IP — like Magic: The Gathering, The Chronicles of Narnia and the works of Roald Dahl — as the streamer courts new subscribers with exclusive new takes on beloved franchises.

The Sandman deal will provide a financial windfall to Warners, which is in final negotiations for a new film and TV pact with J.J. Abrams that could be worth north of $500 million. Sources note that the studio opted to sell it to a third party in a bid to bring additional revenue to the company rather than placing it at its forthcoming streaming service. The studio will next look to re-sign prolific comedy producer Chuck Lorre as the Big Bang Theory co-creator's current deal expires in 2020.

Heinberg is repped by Hansen Jacobson; Goyer, whose TV credits include Syfy's Krypton and NBC's Constantine (both based on DC characters), is with WME and Bloom Hergott; Gaiman is with CAA.

Yeesh. That's the big one for Gaiman, alright.

Comment

That Christian group protesting Gaiman's Netflix show only to find out that it is on Amazon instead? They're going to be pretty confused...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
        That Christian group protesting Gaiman's Netflix show only to find out that it is on Amazon instead? They're going to be pretty confused...
        That struck me as a largely fake or engineered thing. Fun for people to share on social media and laugh at, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          That struck me as a largely fake or engineered thing. Fun for people to share on social media and laugh at, though.
          I don't know the particulars of this one, but that's often the case---a small, but loud group. Unfortunately, Christians often become identified with these protest groups.

Comment

Well in this particular case it's because the group claims to be a Christian organization: https://www.returntoorder.org/return-to-order/

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              Well in this particular case it's because the group claims to be a Christian organization: https://www.returntoorder.org/return-to-order/
              I get that. I mean that the larger group becomes identified with the vocal minority to the point where I've found people shocked to find I'm a Christian and a horror movie fan. Similar things happen with Muslims or certain political movements.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  I get that. I mean that the larger group becomes identified with the vocal minority to the point where I've found people shocked to find I'm a Christian and a horror movie fan. Similar things happen with Muslims or certain political movements.
                  That wasn't my intention here. I just couldn't be arsed to look up this group's name.

Comment

Any chance the show will begin or end with Metallica's "Enter Sandman"? Of course, I'd be cool with the Chordettes' "Mr. Sandman" also.

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                    That wasn't my intention here. I just couldn't be arsed to look up this group's name.
                    No worries. It was more of an offhand or side comment for my part.

Comment

Not my idea, but a fellow German retailer suggested bringing back Tom Ellis as Lucifer to tie the series to his.

Comment

I am so happy to hear Sandman is being done as a big budget show. I bought Sandman #1 off the rack the week it came out and was hooked for the entire run. Just fantastic news!

Comment

Comment

From Neil Gaiman's recent ama:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comme...books_im_neil/

Comment

Wow. Gaiman seems dead set on adapting the comic run the way we want. I am...not used to this sort of treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X