This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    It would be a hoot if Parallax Hal expelled the bug but still wanted to fix things. Explain or write his beliefs in a believable way and stop using the bug as a cop out. You don't have to agree with Magneto or Xavier to understand their reasoning. There could be a perfectly logical reason why Parallax Hal will forever be at odds with Green Lantern Hal.
    Well, I never bought into the idea we needed Parallax because he could be like Magneto - or Sinestro, plenty of anti-heroes and antagonists to choose from. That said, with the original Paralax out there, the interesting part for me against Renegade will be if either version of Hal finds a way to course correct for both of them. In other words can modern Hal turn Parallax from the essential dark side?
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Okay, thematic arguments aside, we've all seen what a Parallax-empowered lantern can do. I mean, Parallax-empowered Sinestro killed all the old guardians with the exception of Ganthet. That was without taking all the collective power of the GLC or eating up their central battery.

But I think from reading everybody's subsequent posts I think I already have my answer. Parallax-Hal is basically (All the power of the GLC + Fear-Host-Avatar-thingy).

I think.

Vendetti or whomever probably won't capitalize on the fact that there is a essentially a Parallax clone there for Sinestro's taking from pre-New52 Parallax-Hal. I mean we already know from the Sinestro comics what he did with this universe's Parallax. He could use the power boost.

Just saying, there's a spare bulb right there, so to speak .... (not that the time continuities in either comic match up)

Comment

Vendetti seemed to purposely depower Parallax Hal. At his peak he recreated the multiverse but in one of his few recent appearances he was unable to reassemble Oa even though he thought that he could. Smart play you don't want Parallax at Super Sayian god mode, because that would mean Renegade Hal was at that level too, and godlike powerful characters are boring. I figure a little below Darkseid level powerful but above Superman level and typical Green Lantern level. I would hate for Sinestro to punk Parallax Hal, like he has punked GL Hal under Johns and how he punked the entity in his own Sinestro book.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
          Vendetti seemed to purposely depower Parallax Hal. At his peak he recreated the multiverse but in one of his few recent appearances he was unable to reassemble Oa even though he thought that he could. Smart play you don't want Parallax at Super Sayian god mode, because that would mean Renegade Hal was at that level too, and godlike powerful characters are boring. I figure a little below Darkseid level powerful but above Superman level and typical Green Lantern level. I would hate for Sinestro to punk Parallax Hal, like he has punked GL Hal under Johns and how he punked the entity in his own Sinestro book.
          Geoff loves Sinestro so much that he had him punk Hal. That's tragic.

Comment

Ok experts, question on this Phantom Ring inclusion ......

From what I'm thinking this ring essentially is ..... a Bizarro white lantern ring?

Before they introduced this into the whole GL mythos they realized WL rings can use ANY power in the 7 spectrum range right?? I mean Kyle recently broke his ring and it shattered into the component 7 rings like Voltron.

So the phantom ring essentially does the same thing trans-spectrum thing like a white ring except no safety feature?? I guess the exiled guardian Rami didn't know white rings existed?

Comment

Yeah, it does seem close to Kyle's WL ring. I was thinking the same thing.

At first (during Brightest Day) the WLs did their own thing (healed people and made permanent constructs). Then, Kyle found out he could use the whole spectrum with it (after training). Now, the Phantom Ring seems to do that for anyone (no training), but randomly (even uncontrollably?).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Yeah, it does seem close to Kyle's WL ring. I was thinking the same thing.

At first (during Brightest Day) the WLs did their own thing (healed people and made permanent constructs). Then, Kyle found out he could use the whole spectrum with it (after training). Now, the Phantom Ring seems to do that for anyone (no training), but randomly (even uncontrollably?).

It's the lack of consistency that's bothering me. Like DC doesn't care if the fans notice all the plot holes or they assume new fans will always replace the disillusioned ones who walk away from the brand.

Green Lantern Lost Army. Near the end John Stewart sees "Renegade" Hal Jordan sealing away the old universe Source Wall with Krona's Gauntlet. Nobody cares or addresses that?? Especially since Hal no longer sports that look so how will that be retconned?

Kyle Rayner in Omega Men. He's in trouble has the WL ring taken away. Where are the other six newly minted White Lanterns to the rescue? Where is GF Carol Ferris? Doesn't care? Not aware? Told to stay away? We dunno.

Sinestro Comics. They pal up Saint Walker with Arkillo. What happens that leads to him being trapped on that volcano planet fighting the "Despair elemental"? Are there other emotional elementals now? Is there an elemental for smugness??

Kyle's WL ring is no more. Again, other 6 WL to the rescue? Who's gonna corral the other 6 rings and have them combine Voltron-style to recreate the white ring?

How hard is it to keep the continuity barely consistent so they can somewhat mollify fans?

Oh, about the Phantom Ring my hypothesis:

The only people who would be really good at using/manipulating the PR is Kyle Rayner and Sinestro. This is because they have a better understanding/insight in manipulating other rings/emotions to the degree they can be effective, with other lantern rings. Not just use them, but excel with them. Well, I guess I can add Guy Gardner to that too as he can excel with either Will or Rage.

There was this Nintendo Wii game that came with this fitness attachment. It was all about balance. You moved in any one direction and it would tend to slide or slip into that space so you had to really be cautious the degree to which you would lean. All to manipulate a marble through a maze. I think the Phantom ring generally works to that degree.

Can you dip 90% of yourself into rage but keep that 10% in reserve so you can pull yourself out and shift into another spectrum? So it's not so much (just) having experience with other rings but to really having a profound understanding/expert training in order to be able to do that effectively.

Which pretty much explains this really bad introduction of the guardian Rami into the GL universe. The guy is fucking psycho to create something like the phantom ring. Maybe he's retarded mad-professed wise because his definition of "innovations" seems synonymous with "features that will result in immediate disaster".

It is interesting that the Phantom ring does not appear to be destructible in the same way we've seen the there rings get wrecked. I bet it has something to do with access to all the emotional spectrums. I bet it takes all the rings from each spectrum to destroy it or something.

Comment

I'd also mention Guy has a solid grasp on the yellow rings as well having used Sinestro's original for quite some time...

~//V\\~

Comment

Question: Why do people refer to all series numbers as starting at series #1 in 1960s, when there was a series before that in 1940s? Why isn't the 1940s series considered series #1?

Comment

I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong since he was around in the '40s for issue #1 but I've always seen the 1940s series referred to as Volume 1 and the 1960s series referred to as Volume 2.

Comment

^I've seen both, but the Golden Age run is properly volume 1 and Overstreet counts it as such.
                        When I have seen the silver age called "vol. 1," it's always been at a comic shop, which rarely have Golden Age books.

Comment

I just read that and almost coughed on my metamucil. Don't take any wooden nickels kid!

And yes, the golden age GL series is volume 1. The silver age title that made it to issue #224 is volume 2. Hal and Kyle's series is volume 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                            I just read that and almost coughed on my metamucil. Don't take any wooden nickels kid!

And yes, the golden age GL series is volume 1. The silver age title that made it to issue #224 is volume 2. Hal and Kyle's series is volume 3.
                            Let there be no doubt of this. With the myriad of reboots, concurrent titles, and minis, GL's continuity is already difficult enough to track without us confusing ourselves further.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Even better is the Flash. Most people think the silver age Flash beginning with #105 means that Flash Comics 1-104 was volume 1, which it was NOT. Flash Conics was only an anthology comic like Action, Sensation, All-American or More Fun Comics. The actual solo Jay Garrick series was All-Flash which ran from #1-32. So the silver age Flash series SHOULD have picked up at #33, not #105.

Comment

If the comic industry wasn't imploding, I think we would eventually see DC try to remember GL to get a higher number like they have with Flash and Wonder Woman. The question is, which title do you count as volume 6? Green LanternS, or Hal Jordan and the GLC? I am tempted to say Green Lanterns, because the name was pretty close. Volume 2 went by GL, GL/GA and GLC and we still count 1-224 as one GL volume. But we cant use both GLs and HJaTGLC because they ran at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X