This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
    ...As for the Green Lantern film being like Lethal Weapon, I feel like it's going to end up more Men In Black. I just don't think the script will be clever enough to give a Lethal Weapon vibe...
    I feel like I've heard the "in the vein of Lethal Weapon" several times before and it never seems to actually capture that flavor. So, now it makes me pause.

Comment

• Geoff's in charge so it'll be heavily about Hal and Sinestro. Wouldn't surprise me if he put Baz and Cruz in it. Guy and Kyle, no way, except maybe in throwaway cameos.

He seems to love Parallax too, so either he or Krona will be in it. And as we saw in the first movie, both would be done all wrong.

Comment

• I don't know how much influence or creative control Johns has. Many feel like he was booted off of Affleck's Batman film as Johns did not include that in his Top 5 things for 2017. I feel Johns will be a creative consultant as he's not a script writer for the film and the director will have most of the creative control through production. That's how these DC films have been produced anyway.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        I feel like I've heard the "in the vein of Lethal Weapon" several times before and it never seems to actually capture that flavor. So, now it makes me pause.
        Yeah, it's been a very long time since I've seen a great buddy cop film. I recently watched "Ride Along 2" and that was boring. So, I always have pause when a film makes that claim.
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Why would Johns talk about the Batman movie in his top 5 things of 2017, when the movie doesn't release this year? Everything he mentioned in that list is happening in 2017.

Comment

• Because the Batman film was reportely set to go into production this year.
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Going into production doesn't warrant a top 5 spot, although they haven't given in indication of when it will go into production yet. Everything with that movie is all speculation at this point. I would rather Johns and everyone else involved focus on WW and JL right now.

Comment

Because the Batman film was reportely set to go into production this year.
                Eh, there were rumors yes, but every time Affleck's has been asked about it (and he's been asked about it a lot) he's been very clear that there's no script yet and that he's still working on it. Clearly those rumors were overly optimistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                  Eh, there were rumors yes, but every time Affleck's has been asked about it (and he's been asked about it a lot) he's been very clear that there's no script yet and that he's still working on it. Clearly those rumors were overly optimistic.
                  Affleck knows that if you don't have a good script, then you've got nothing. DC needs to figure that out too.

Comment

• When I watch Guardians of the Galaxy, I see what a GLC movie COULD be. Have that tone, level of comedy and fun, all of that level of special effects and sci fi imagination. Then do it in green and black with the buddy cop theme.

I try to picture Hal as the straight man and John as the comedy the way Hollywood would be ITCHING to do it, but I always come back to the opposite and closer to how Gibson and Glover played it and the chemistry they had. Hal would be the jackass and John more serious in tone. It might be tougher to do with Hal as the more experienced of the two; do you have a Hal with some experience as a GL, acting like a goof while the novice John is taking it all more seriously? Or just have John be the veteran and helping to continue a younger Hal's training? I've always seen John as younger so that would be weird for me to get used to, but I can see it working.

Comment

• It could be young John has an idea of what the Corps should be, based on his military background, but when he starts training under Hal it isn't all its made out to be. Either Hal doesn't provide the structure he needs, or doesn't seem to take things seriously, or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                        It could be young John has an idea of what the Corps should be, based on his military background, but when he starts training under Hal it isn't all its made out to be. Either Hal doesn't provide the structure he needs, or doesn't seem to take things seriously, or whatever.
                        That was done very well in Emerald Dawn 2 with Hal and Sinestro. Hal was young and naive, and he thought Sinestro actually meant well. He gradually wised up though.

Comment

• Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                          Going into production doesn't warrant a top 5 spot, although they haven't given in indication of when it will go into production yet. Everything with that movie is all speculation at this point. I would rather Johns and everyone else involved focus on WW and JL right now.

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                          Yes, that's the thing. Affleck's been working on putting the script together for awhile and will continue to work on it this year. Johns should be involved and collaborating with the Batfleck's script, but he isn't.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                          When I watch Guardians of the Galaxy, I see what a GLC movie COULD be. Have that tone, level of comedy and fun, all of that level of special effects and sci fi imagination. Then do it in green and black with the buddy cop theme.

I try to picture Hal as the straight man and John as the comedy the way Hollywood would be ITCHING to do it, but I always come back to the opposite and closer to how Gibson and Glover played it and the chemistry they had. Hal would be the jackass and John more serious in tone. It might be tougher to do with Hal as the more experienced of the two; do you have a Hal with some experience as a GL, acting like a goof while the novice John is taking it all more seriously? Or just have John be the veteran and helping to continue a younger Hal's training? I've always seen John as younger so that would be weird for me to get used to, but I can see it working.
                          When I watch Guardian of the Galaxy, I see what the Suicide Squad could have been.

When I watch Star Wars, the original trilogy, I see how the Green Lantern film could be, especially when Obi Wan tells Luke in this training, "You've taken your first step into a larger world." When Hal puts on the ring, it's his first step into a larger world.

I definitely see Hal as the Han Solo type of the GLC, with John being the more practical and grounded type like Luke, and of course Sinestro a fallen GL, much like Darth Vader a fallen Jedi. Moreover, a ring is much like a Jedi's lightsaber and ally power like the Force. So, much like a Jedi a GL's power comes from within, will.

I know Green Lantern precedes Star Wars, but my introduction into the respective universes was reversed.

Comment

• Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                            Going into production doesn't warrant a top 5 spot, although they haven't given in indication of when it will go into production yet. Everything with that movie is all speculation at this point. I would rather Johns and everyone else involved focus on WW and JL right now.
                            I agree but Wonder Woman has already been shot, so what can be done for it at this point is limited.

Marvel played it smart by laying the foundation gradually to build up to the Avengers. DC is trying to jump to the JLA very quickly. I'm not saying that won't work, but maybe they lacked the confidence in their solo characters to do it that way.
                            Trey Strain
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-25-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• I don't have any concrete evidence for this, but it seems that Geoff has less to do with the movies than he once did. If so, I wonder whether that was his decision or someone else's.

Comment

Yes, that's the thing. Affleck's been working on putting the script together for awhile and will continue to work on it this year. Johns should be involved and collaborating with the Batfleck's script, but he isn't.
                                But there is no evidence that Johns isn't involved when it comes to Batman. Hell the last update we got about the movie with actual info was Johns confirming that Manganiello would be playing Deathstroke.

Going off his tweets about 2017 is flawed since all the things he referenced are things that are going to debut in 2017. He even refers to them as the "Top 5 DC events" he's looking forward to, him working on a script isn't an event.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                                I agree but Wonder Woman has already been shot, so what can be done for it at this point is limited.
                                Disagree, the editing process is still going on and that can make or break a movie, especially given how the previous two DC movies have been edited.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                                I don't have any concrete evidence for this, but it seems that Geoff has less to do with the movies than he once did. If so, I wonder whether that was his decision or someone else's.
                                That's because there is no evidence of that, just in the last few weeks we've had:
                                • News breaks that DC is ramping up on the GLC movie and Johns basically confirms it via twitter.
                                • The Rock meeting with Johns and then a few days later news of a Black Adam standalone movie breaks.
                                • Johns, Snyder, Wan and Momoa having a powow at DC headquarters.

Comment

Working...
                                X