X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Comment

• The Beast in Heat [aka SS Hellcamp] (1977)

"That's what gets up my nose: we seem to be at the mercy of priests and prostitutes."

Like a test in how trashy of an exploitation movie I'm willing to watch. Actually, a lot of it plays as a low-budget resistance vs. Nazis movie, but then it suddenly gets graphic.

The Wild Angels (1966)

"We wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! And we wanna get loaded."

Walkabout (1971)

"You must look after your blazer. It's got to last! We don't want people thinking we're a a couple of tramps!"

R.I.P., Mr. Roeg.

MST3K: The Gauntlet: The Day Time Ended (1979/2018)

"What in the Prog Rock is going on here?"
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• My review of Widows.

https://dailyuv.com/971038

Comment

• Love at First Bite (1979)

"We've come to make a withdrawal. We have a very sick man in the car. He needs blood, desperately.
          -That's a hearse!
          So maybe we're a bit late."

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

"Please not the Ground Hog."

Rob Roy (1995)

"Honor is what no man can give you and none can take away. Honor is a man's gift to himself."

Felt particularly Scottish this St Andrews and decided to watch this (in addition to listening to some Corries and reading some Burns).

MST3K: The Gauntlet: Killer Fish (1979/2018)

"It's the bargain basement Richard Chamberlain."
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-05-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Envy (2004)

"Don't taste my pants."

Best neighbors, coworkers, and best friends Nick (Jack Black) and Tim (Ben Stiller) go from bosom-buddies to awkward enemies when Nick invents a spray that vaporizes dog turds, which makes him insanely rich, in turn causing Tim and his wife to become deeply jealous. Things become even more complicated when a scheming busybody (Christopher Walken) encourages Tim to get even against Nick.

I've had this sitting on my shelf for a good while, not entirely sure how I got it (probably bought it at GameStop years and years ago, back when they sold DVDs). Since I still have yet to spend 2 hours watching Alien: Covenant, I decided this would suffice for dad.

Stiller does a good job as a progressively frustrated man getting more and more fed up with how obnoxiously wealthy his friend becomes; Rachel Weisz (his wife) is convincing as a jealous wife who blames her husband for losing out on a get-rich-quick scheme (she later becomes desperate to keep the money they do get); and of course Black is ridiculous as a tone-deaf member of the newly rich community (dude has an indoor bowling alley next to his bedroom and a fucking carousel in his yard).

My dad dislikes both Stiller and Black, but he did get a small kick out of some of the jokes (the one-in-a-million-chance shots Stiller takes with the bow, the scene where he fakes going to work that some actual fired persons do, etc). I myself thought Walken was the hidden gem here, playing a cruel "friend" of Stiller's, urging him along a bad path while offering to help him. Just a great character all around.

I also liked the ending, just a hilarious little turn of events.

Overall worth checking out, even though it probably isn't the best showcasing of their talents.
            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990)

"It's all over now."

Trolls (2016)

"I don't trust him. Who wears socks with no shoes?"

Two times they did a song I'm pretty familiar with but it took me a minute to realize what it was because it sounded funny. Actually, I'm pretty sure there should be a law against Justin Timberlake singing my beloved Cyndi Lauper. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting from Stuckman badmouthing it, but it was not a classic.

In the Cut (2003)

"When did you start liking white women?"

Not as bad as I was expecting from the ratings I found; not exactly good but had a certain style and seemed worth a watch (though I'm not saying to rush out and get it either). I did figure out the killer by half-way through. Sort of plays as an erotic thriller (you can see 36-year-old Ruffalo and 42-year-old Ryan nude). Ryan seems to go through the whole thing in a daze even when in love (lust?) or in fear of her life, but I guess that's the character. There's a nice, creepy performance by Kevin Bacon as her stalkery ex.

MST3K: The Gauntlet: Ator: The Fighting Eagle (1982/2018)

"They died as they lived, covered in yak fur."

And that's it for season 2 ("The Gauntlet") of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return. I didn't watch it in the 8-hour binge they suggest, but in the spirit of the thing, I did watch it six straight days and it was still funny.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-05-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

robojac
                Corps Honor Guard
                Last edited by robojac; 12-03-2018, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• The Punisher: War Zone (2008)

"Let me put you out of my misery."

Who has two thumbs and celebrates the 10th anniversary of the third non-consecutive Punisher movie? This guy.

(Cheech and Chong's) Up in Smoke (1978)

"So, how long you've been in Mexico?
                  -A week. I mean a day.
                  Well, which is it? A week or a day?
                  -A weekday."

The Conformist (1970)

"Really serious people are never serious."

R.I.P. Bertolucci.

Moana (2016)

"If you wear a dress, and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess."
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 12-12-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Interview With The Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)

Comment

• Black Dynamite (2009)

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!"

A 70s exploitation spoof and a real one.

Sweet Sugar (1972)

"So I see you don't understand how far my proposal extends.
                      -Oh, I can see how far it extends."

Morwencol (2010)

"I want to live here."

A Christmas Carol (1984)

"Tact is a quality I despise.
                      -That I can see."
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-12-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs to the community!"
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Bugsy Malone (1976)

"Have you eaten?
                          -Ever since I was a kid.
                          Then how come you're so skinny, wisey?
                          -Because I watch my weight.
                          Yeah, I do that when I'm broke too."

This musical comedy tells the story of a 30s gang war. The twist is that it's entirely cast with children (notably Scott Baio and Jodie Foster) and adapted as such (the weapons are cream pies and the cars are push pedal). Paul Williams wrote all the music for it and was nominated for an Oscar. Pretty fun.

Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982)

"I wonder why he keeps hanging up. Is there supposed to be someone else there besides your wife?"

So, I didn't actually intend to make tonight a double feature of Alan Parker musicals. Bugsy has been sitting on the top of my Netflix queue as "very long wait" until it suddenly came. When I saw I had enough time to fit a second movie in tonight The Wall came to mind because it's only about 90 minutes and I've been listening to some Floyd the last few days. When I looked at the box, I realized it was the same director---though a part of me wonders if I made a subconscious connection since I used to be super familiar with all things Floyd (especially in my college days). As it is, it's been long enough that I either forgot Bob Geldof plays Pink or didn't know who he was the last time I watched.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs to the community!"
                          I think I used that line (seemingly the most popular) one of the other times I posted it here, but the whole pimp council (based on a scene in the blaxploitation classic Superfly) is my favorite scene.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-07-2018, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• An American Werewolf In London (1981)

Comment

• Looks like a day or so of posts were cut in the purge. No worries, this will be even longer.

Infernal Affairs (2002)

"Do all undercover cops like rooftops?"

The Dorm that Dripped Blood [aka Pranks] (1982)

"Don't you see how funny that is?!"

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)

"I hope next time we meet, we will be drinking tea."

The Rift [aka Endless Descent] (1990)

"You're my kind of white boy."

One of the many low-budget Abyss knock-offs.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-12-2018, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• The World Is Not Enough (1999)

Comment

Working...
                                X