No announcement yet.

Jackie Earle Haley to play Sinestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well he's got creepy and menacing down. The movie will have to have MONDO special effects anyways and they can do amazing things with make-up now. He's not my first choice but look how many Hal's we went through before they decided and you've gotta be able to give people a chance, plus how do you know what an actor can do if you've never seen them try?

Comment

Originally posted by Duskdog View Post
      Actually, he does have physical measurements (or did at one time -- dunno what still applies these days) and is supposed to be quite tall. Taller than Hal, even though most artists draw them at about the same height... depending on how ridiculous the artists chooses to draw his forehead, that is.

But I totally agree with you that height is absolutely no reason to bar an actor from a role. They can take an actor of any height and make him look as tall as they want. I do think that Sinestro ought to be at least roughly Hal's height, but it's certainly not the most important thing to consider -- and even if it was, it's a non-issue thanks to the many tricks film-makers can use to make him seem taller than he actually is.
      My point is... he's a fictional character. He's been, and can be, portrayed anyway they want. Look at the Joker. He's had completely different portrayals from age, size, sanity etc... but they were ALL "the Joker".

Sinestro isn't Abe Lincoln. He doesn't have a height or an accent or anything else written in stone. He's a fictional construct and can be interpreted however the film makers choose... even if that means the actor who plays him is 5 inches shorter than how tall some people think he ought to be.

Comment

Jackie Earle Haley, huh? Not someone I would have imagined, but intriguing. Of course, sometimes some of the best casting is of the "not who I imagined" variety, like Heath Ledger as the Joker or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. His portrayal of Rorschach was one of the best things about Watchmen, and I can't say that nearly two years before Watchmen came out that I imagined JEH in that role.

I agree, unless it's integral to the role height should be a non-issue. In the comics Wolverine is supposed to be 5'2" yet Hugh Jackman is a foot taller and did great in the role. Once the movie was filmed and we saw X-Men on the big screen, how many of us kept thinking "Wolverine needs to be shorter"? Jackman did so well he made us forget about that. Can JEH do well enough as Sinestro to dispel any doubts or problems the audience may have? I see no reason why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Green CFL Lantern View Post
          Can JEH do well enough as Sinestro to dispel any doubts or problems the audience may have? I see no reason why not.
          and that should really be all anybody has to say about it....

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
            My point is... he's a fictional character. He's been, and can be, portrayed anyway they want. Look at the Joker. He's had completely different portrayals from age, size, sanity etc... but they were ALL "the Joker".

Sinestro isn't Abe Lincoln. He doesn't have a height or an accent or anything else written in stone. He's a fictional construct and can be interpreted however the film makers choose... even if that means the actor who plays him is 5 inches shorter than how tall some people think he ought to be.
            ...And if you had read beyond the first sentence, you'd have seen that I was agreeing with you. My point was that, while you feel that none of these things are set in stone just because he's a fictional character, others might feel differently. At what point does "interpreting" a character take away what makes that character who and what they are? Boodikka in GL: First Flight is a good example of this. They "interpreted" her in a way that changed her hair color, her body type, and, most importantly, her personality. Was she still Boodikka just because she bore that name and, presumably, was based on the Boodikka that was previously established in the comics? I would argue no. Even fictional characters have rules and limits to what can be done with them before you've lost the original character and created something entirely new!

But you're right -- height alone is not something that's going to completely change a character. As I said, I agree with you that the height of the actor is completely irrelevant. And I also agree that making Sinestro short, if they chose to cast Haley and leave his height as-is, wouldn't matter one bit if the part is acted well. If he can make us really feel that he's the Sinestro we know and love/hate, it won't matter at all if he's short.

Heh, my DCUC Sinestro is a shorty, and I still love him.

Comment

hmm, Naysay are you Haley's agent or something? I mean I personally agree that there's no reason to think he won't do well as Sinestro. But come on man, people are entitled to their opinions. I don't think I've seen you go off and use caps like this before...lol.

Ok, here's my true opinion on the matter. Was JEH my first thought when Sinestro popped in my mind? No. But guess who wasn't in my top list of actors to play The Joker? Heath Ledger. And I thought Kevin Spacey was going to pull off an amazing Lex Luthor, and I think we all saw how that turned out.

At the end of the day, in super hero movies it really comes down to the director and writers in my eyes personally. Top talent is generally chosen upon, and casting is a huge concern but most of the problems with super hero movies I've seen recently the huge draw back has been the stories, writing, and direction. Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, but how's he supposed to pull off a great role with the crap he was given for Origins? Or again, Spacey who turned quite possibly the worst super hero movie drivel into something at least presentable.

So, I can get behind Haley in the role because honestly the movie's awesomeness rests on the writers and Martin Campbell's shoulders.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Can we talk about his denial now?

Comment

I loved him as Rorshach, he could do it!
                  "Gone are all my comforts, I held so dear
                  Sold them to strangers looking for a deal
                  You left me here all alone, my worst fear
                  Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
                  I gave to you my life and love for years
                  Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
                  All I ever wanted was to be loved
                  Waiting on dad to take me up above"

Comment

I know its not directly related to this thread but....
                    Just thought I would throw this out here because I'm not sure what the rings voice should sound like, but is the voice supposed to be the voice of Mogo or not?

Comment

I've been trying to stay up-to-date with the general feel of the script (having not read it, just some reviews). Have they changed Sinestro's role from the "mentor" position they originally intended? I certainly hope that "First Flight" hasn't got them thinking that making him a scheming villain on the quick is a good idea...

As far as Jackie Earle Haley... I'm not 100% sold on him yet, but I've always seen Sinestro as a sophisticated, proper, talk-down-to-everyone, genius prick. Also, I try to keep in mind that he was originally modeled in appearance after David Niven, so naturally I always assumed him to have a haughty brit accent :P at least, that's how he sounds in my mind when I'm reading the comics...

I'm still thinking that Jason Issacs would nail it (but maybe he's too perfect of a choice, much like Hugo), but I'm going to keep an open mind on the casting of Sinestro.

Comment

Originally posted by ellelovessuperheroes View Post
                        I know its not directly related to this thread but....
                        Just thought I would throw this out here because I'm not sure what the rings voice should sound like, but is the voice supposed to be the voice of Mogo or not?
                        I always imagined it as a near-electronic female voice... like the Enterprise's computer...

Comment

Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                          I've been trying to stay up-to-date with the general feel of the script (having not read it, just some reviews). Have they changed Sinestro's role from the "mentor" position they originally intended? I certainly hope that "First Flight" hasn't got them thinking that making him a scheming villain on the quick is a good idea...

As far as Jackie Earle Haley... I'm not 100% sold on him yet, but I've always seen Sinestro as a sophisticated, proper, talk-down-to-everyone, genius prick. Also, I try to keep in mind that he was originally modeled in appearance after David Niven, so naturally I always assumed him to have a haughty brit accent :P at least, that's how he sounds in my mind when I'm reading the comics...

I'm still thinking that Jason Issacs would nail it (but maybe he's too perfect of a choice, much like Hugo), but I'm going to keep an open mind on the casting of Sinestro.
                          in terms of look, and prior history of characters played I believe Jason Isaacs was born to play Sinestro

Comment

As long as we're talking about Jason Isaacs for Sinestro, here's a manip that I did a little while back:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                              hmm, Naysay are you Haley's agent or something? I mean I personally agree that there's no reason to think he won't do well as Sinestro. But come on man, people are entitled to their opinions. I don't think I've seen you go off and use caps like this before...lol.

I'm not his agent... I just get really tired of people talking shit on Hollywood and making pronouncements that are just silly (in my "humble" opinion) with an air of confidence that suggests they know what they're talking about... when they don't.

I felt the same way about the Jay Leno thread... there were a bunch of people suggesting that Leno just couldn't stand to lose the limelight and that he was like Brett Favre, retiring then unretiring only to wind up looking foolish...

all the while completely ignorant to the details of the story...

Or in this case saying words to the effect of "he doesn't have the physical presence to pull off that role"... based on the fact that he's short? That's just silly. People have the right to their opinions... but I also have the right to quibble with them.

Someone could tell me that it's there opinion that Superman Returns was well written... but they would be wrong.

Comment

Well, I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. It just felt weird to read you "capping" at everyone. Because when I read words written LIKE THIS, I generally equate it to yelling. Which might not have been your intent, but it just felt odd.

Comment

Working...
                                X