No announcement yet.

Locke & Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just spent a hundred bucks on this stuff, so if I don't love it I'm gonna strangle all of you. I bought the hardcover versions; I always go with hardcover over TPB if I have a choice. They look great and everybody at the comic shop was raving about them. I'll let you know when I've got through the first miniseries.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
      I just spent a hundred bucks on this stuff, so if I don't love it I'm gonna strangle all of you. I bought the hardcover versions; I always go with hardcover over TPB if I have a choice. They look great and everybody at the comic shop was raving about them. I'll let you know when I've got through the first miniseries.
      If you don't love it I'm gonna strangle YOU!

But jeez man.... get a library card or something...

Comment

I used to blow a lot more money on my comic habit. Buys like this make up for all the money DC isn't getting from me with their shitty nU 52.

Comment

I expect a review when you finish the first trade.

Comment

Yea fucking read it already. It shouldn't take this long.

Comment

I just finished Welcome To Lovecraft. Goddamn that was good! The story played like a movie and sucked me right in. Loved the whole story of the house, the keys, the mystery, etc. I liked how it was like coming into a story that had been going on for some time and this was the latest chapter of it, even if most of the characters didn't know it. Similar to A Song Of Ice And Fire and Star Wars that way, and a storytelling technique I have a soft spot for.

When I picked them up, they had 1-4 in softcover, and 1, 3-5 in hardcover. I elected to go with hardcover, and now have to wait two weeks until the store gets in the vol 2 hardcover they ordered for me yesterday. Fuck! I don't WANT to wait!

The art was really nice, and very consistent. The plot and dialogue were wonderful. I liked how all the different characters had their own story and got time devoted to them, and each of the three Locke kids got an issue to spotlight them. I'm hoping some of the later hardcovers I bought delve into the past to tell Rendell's story, and the kids and family from his time.

Certainly better than anything I'm reading from DC in the last few years. Things like this and Saga (which I recently read) just make me despise DC all the more. If I'm going to continue with the comic hobby (and not walk away from it entirely in disgust), then I'm going to need to find other indy books like this to enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I really did enjoy it/am enjoying it. Money well spent.

Comment

It just gets better. Everything you're hoping for is delivered and more.

Comment

Naysay is right, looking back the first trade was kinda tamed compared to the stuff to come.

Comment

I couldn't wait the two weeks for my hardcover of volume 2 to come in. I went in and bought a softcover of volume 2 just to read it, which I'll do tonight. I'll be replacing it soon enough with the nicer hardcover.

Comment

Good man. More people should be reading this.

Comment

Amen.

So Dave did you read it yet???? I wanna know how much you love it.

Also I've been reading Unwritten. While I don't like it as much as Locke & Key it's damn good stuff and further confirms my belief that Marvel and DC should be telling closed stories instead of open ended serial never ending dreck.

Comment

I'm sitting in my recliner reading volume 3: Crown Of Shadows as I type this on my laptop and about halfway through it. Fucking great so far. The head thing was weird and seems a bit out of place with the kind of story they are telling, but still cool. I'm really interested in the story of the last generation of kids from the drama class, and how all of that fits together with Dodge. I'm assuming Dodge is going to be revealed to be an actual human and a pawn himself of the lovecraftian type creature attached to his soul.

Online I found a place that makes comic book prop replicas that has replicas of some of the keys from the book. A door too. Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                            Also I've been reading Unwritten. While I don't like it as much as Locke & Key it's damn good stuff and further confirms my belief that Marvel and DC should be telling closed stories instead of open ended serial never ending dreck.
                            Unwritten is a pretty good read though I still think Fables (even with it's hiccups) is the best Vertigo book at the moment. You should read Saga. It's really sad that all the best comic books these days are indies and not at the big two...

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                            Online I found a place that makes comic book prop replicas that has replicas of some of the keys from the book. A door too. Pretty cool.
                            If I recall they were giving away keys at cons when the series was still in it's infancy. Good shit.

Comment

Saga eh? I'll look into it.

Comment

Saga is fucking awesome. Easily worth the 10 measily bucks you'll spend on the first trade.

And I just finished vol 5: Clockworks a few minutes ago. That was great stuff! I loved seeing how the pieces of the puzzle came together. Damn! I know I'm a Johnny Come Lately on this book, but I wish I showed up to the party just a little bit later. If I wasn't going to be onboard from the beginning (which the fanboy pride in me usually yearns for), it would have been nice to be able to finish the entire thing at once. Now I have to wait for the end of this fantastic series with the rest of you schmucks. What is it now, 3 out of 7 issues out? Or is it 6?

Comment

Working...
                                X