Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Green Lantern: Legacy"... a new GL? Say what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Green Lantern: Legacy"... a new GL? Say what?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/writer-minh-...een-1822908238

Is this real? Surely not canon... right?

I hope that kid isn't written as surly as he looks there.

I doubt this is part of the standard DCU canon. But who knows? Weirder things have happened.

Comment

Ugh. Just what the crumbling GL franchiae needs...more dilution.

Comment

It's for the DC INK kids line, calm down old guys it's not for you

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
          Well, I'm old, and I'm hoping it is for me (or rather I'm hoping it is a GL comic that I'll be able to successfully share with my kids). I just really don't want a comic where the main character is a surly teen.
          I miss the GL Animated Series comic.
          Mister Ed
          Horse of a Different Color
          Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-13-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

What kind of crazy talk is THAT?!?! It's ALL about me and other 40+ years old men!!!

Comment

Whether for kids or not, this just isn't a good idea for the overall franchise. All that's going to happen is that DC will confuse and disappoint children who read (and like) this when/if they find out this character is out of canon in the main universe. Believe me, I've been in a somewhat similar spot.

And yet, if the main universe uses the character, it will further divide the fanbase and destroy the franchise. It's gotten to the point where it's comical just how much DC is destroying the Green Lantern franchise.

Also, is this character meant to be an east Asian? If so, this is not great "diversity" when the character is just another copy of a white hero, and will ultimately be subservient to Mr. White Man in the franchise. Try making an East Asian character that fans of that character can call THEIR OWN, and won't have to squabble with other fans over spotlight for their character. In the long run, that is MUCH better, even if it may be more challenging. What's done here is not only damaging to Green Lantern, but just lazy, especially after how many times DC has done it with Green Lantern.
              Star-Lantern
              Weaponer of Qward
              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 02-14-2018, 12:09 AM.
              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Where's Kid Lantern? He's been crying for this for a decade.

Comment

I'm super excited for DC books I can actually read with my kid. At first glance he's looking forward to the book that showed Capt. Marvel and Hawkgirl.

Following the link though, the pitch isn't the greatest. Buuuuut.... this is for the kids so who am I to bitch about it. My son's favorite GL is Kilowog anyway LOL

~//V\\~
                  Ωmega Man
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-14-2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

^When I was a kid I would've dug the idea that a kid could wield a power ring. It would've felt just a little closer; instead of "one day, that 'could' happen to me" it would be "that 'could' happen to me!"
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 02-14-2018, 04:53 AM.

Comment

DC's 2 new imprints sound like good business strategy. Now a youngster can jump in without being confused by DC's massive history and the 2 big continuity shifts of he last 7 years. I'll probably give it a glance, although a kid finding a ring instead of being selected and trained by the GLC doesn't sound appealing to me. Still, I'm glad DC is trying to attract new readers to the GL mythos.
                      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                        Whether for kids or not, this just isn't a good idea for the overall franchise. All that's going to happen is that DC will confuse and disappoint children who read (and like) this when/if they find out this character is out of canon in the main universe. . .
                        I don't know. I remember as a kid being confused why the Superman movies didn't seem to jive with the comics, but it didn't turn me off to either. It just made me want to find out more (a similar situation arose with Marvel's What If series in my early collecting). GL Animated had a different continuity, but it worked. I think in most cases if kids don't figure out the canonicity, they just absorb what they can and if they do, they choose which they prefer.

Comment

DC's new imprints are going to have to stick to their guns and pick one or the other though [a new universe with changes or something like a dumbed down mainstream universe]. You can't have Baz hanging with heroes on a roof and then introduce a new Lantern who's only ties to the GLC is his dead grandmother.

HJ & the GLC is one of the few comics I can actually let my son read. Since his favorite Lantern is Kilowog he's left wondering why the rest of the Corps is taking a backseat to four humans. He quite literally said to me the other day... "I don't care about Kyle Rayner's suit daddy, where's the 'Wog? He IS the GLC..."

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            I don't know. I remember as a kid being confused why the Superman movies didn't seem to jive with the comics, but it didn't turn me off to either. It just made me want to find out more (a similar situation arose with Marvel's What If series in my early collecting). GL Animated had a different continuity, but it worked. I think in most cases if kids don't figure out the canonicity, they just absorb what they can and if they do, they choose which they prefer.
                            There's something alluring about being on the ground floor of a story. I remember noting the continuity differences between the Masters of the Universe mini-comics that came with the figures and the animated show. When Marvel launched a MotU title under their Star Imprint (which was aimed at kids), I was still excited to take another ride with a familiar cast of characters.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Yeah, I don't have any problem with this being a different continuity, since I'm looking forward to possibly sharing it with my kids, and they are never going to be reading the current GL titles anyway. We all enjoyed the GL Animated comic, and that was a separate continuity, too.

I just wonder about how being a GL works in this comic. I mean, if his grandmother was part of the GLC, I would've expected her ring to be sent to a new candidate selected by whatever criteria the Corps is using, not passed on to a grandson who didn't even know she was a GL. I always figured that the reason we never had a teen GL before when so many other heroes had teen versions was that it was merit-based, so a teen would have to be truly extraordinary to be the best candidate over competing adults (some of whom would have been extraordinary teens a few years back who have now gained more experience and skills). This kid doesn't sound like he fits THAT mold (though we have few details, admittedly), so how he ends up with the ring will hopefully be an interesting story, more elaborate than "He happened to get his grandmother's ring".

Comment

Working...
                              X