No announcement yet.

Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #4 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is up with these guys constantly having Guy in a state of undress [or naked here] besides pushing the "Look at what an asshole Guy is" agenda. I feel like I'm reading a gender flipped Tarot:Witch of the Black Rose.

Comment

I loved the issue but not enough to give it 5 stars.

Guy was hilarious. Liked how he had nothing in his backpack but a six pack of beer. Also in agreement that the tones of the characters seem on point. Loved how he volunteered for a recon mission and winds up getting captured and sent to enemy HQ. Of course, any other lantern probably would have gotten killed trying to actually 'recon' the situation.

I'm interested too in what exactly has apparently been installed inside of Hal Jordan. Maybe something that negates yellow fear energy?

As far as the fear engine goes, I liken it to what hybrid vehicles are suppose to do. Is the emotional spectrum still being used? Yes, but at a more subdued rate and used in a more efficient manner as they are drawing the energy directly from living beings themselves to bolster their usage.

Comment

Another solid issue, the rebirth-ing of GL (or at least the Hal book) continues to go swimmingly.

Comment

A solid 3 star issue for me. I liked the comedic moment between Guy and Sinestro when Sin asked him how he ever got inducted to the GLC in the first place. A great shot of Sinestro there.

I was starting to roll my eyes when they pulled Sinestro back from pure villainy when he reigned his corps in on who they could prey on for their machine. But then they totally won me back with his Darth Vader moment by killing his own guy. Classic stuff there.

Comment

3/5 stars (previous put this in the wrong summary)

Sinestro being "evil" Sinestro again (is this an effect of Parallax in him?), but there's a method to his madness (i.e., no children in the Fear Engine, robust adults can handle it better). Soranik playing games against her father, and Guy Gardner being Guy Gardner (1 star just for him).

What was bad: artwork was precise but inconsistent. How many different haircuts have we seen Guy & Soranik have, now? When did Soranik get a pageboy? And I'm sorry, Guy, but with so many dead GLs in the past, I would make sure I was wearing an armored spacesuit before I put on the ring. So when the GL power runs out I have a backup. Like back in your Warrior days when Sinestro's ring ran out of power and you had Blue Beetle make you a suit. The female audience may want to see you in the muscled buff, but not the other 88% of the readers.

Characterizations were spot-on, so no complaints there. There is, however, still too much of "hide it from the readers until the last second!" in the writing. If we can keep the writing, characters, and artwork at this level I won't complain too much.

But give Guy some boxers or bicycle pants.

Comment

I really just want to see Hal destroy Sinestro's plans all over again. It seems so odd to think that it's not something we can assume is going to happen, the way we assume Superman is going to win over Lex or that Bats is going to win over Joker. Johns has built up Sinestro to the point where it seems Hal shouldn't be able to best him, but I guess time will tell if Vendettti agrees....

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                I think the thing that interests me the most is if there will be an explanation to what happened to the Green Lantern Corps to make them disappear. To be honest, I actually lost interest in finding out what that was about, but it would be kinda' funny if that entire plot point was never addressed, and I'm just wondering if it will be. Venditti doesn't seem like the type of writer to ignore that. If he does address it, I wonder if it will be the same thing Bunn had in mind. Maybe one of these days I'll ask Cullen Bunn what his original plan was, because I doubt it is still in effect.
                I'm a little late to the party, was that ever explained?

I really like the cover art of the issue and how Sinestro reacts to the news of them bringing back Guy instead of Hal. He certainly is ruthless and makes no qualms about killing his own men to set example.
                http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
                  I'm a little late to the party, was that ever explained?
                  Unfortunately, no.

I'm under the impression that DC wants readers to completely forget that Green Lantern: Lost Army ever happened. I don't know why. Perhaps because that series heavily involves the Emotional Reservoir concept, which is also never brought up anymore (I wonder if we'll ever see Relic again).

I've never seen anything so abruptly, so glaringly, and so hamfistedly brushed aside in Green Lantern comics before. At least not that I can recall. At least not an incident as major as this one, to where it's like, from DC's perspective: "Hey, I know we just published a comic series a few months ago, and I know it leaves a lot of questions left to be answered, but forget ALL of that. Pretend it didn't happen. We're going to do something else, and we're just never going back to that ever again!"

I guess the thing that's so disappointing to me about the whole thing is that there are major questions that went completely unanswered. If DC let the story finish--as they should have, because Edge of Oblivion was way worse, and somehow managed to still not answer anything--and then never referenced it again, that would be one thing. But as it is now, there's this big gaping hole in Green Lantern that will seemingly forever go unaddressed, and the best we can do is just look the other way, shrug our shoulders, and accept that.

Extremely poor editing, in my opinion. As a reader, I feel like I just wasted all the time, money, and investment I put into those comics, and in that sense, I feel like I was, at least on some level, taken advantage of. And knowing that the publisher actually does storytelling like that, I don't have a lot of trust in them to put in an investment like I did previously because what if something like this incident happens again to something I risk following? Interestingly, I haven't bought a Green Lantern comic book since then.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-16-2017, 04:27 PM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I'm still picking up the GL titles, but I feel the same way you do otherwise. What a major cheat, it would be one thing if they never referred to it, but they seem to bring it up a lot in this series. To offer no explanation at all at this point is just lazy, like nobody has been paying attention.

Comment

All it will take is one line from Dr Manhattan in Doomsday Clock to say "i thought the corps would be a threat so I removed them".

That would at least give me story resolution but yeah, I wasn't too pleased with how those twelve months of GLC stories went.

It won't remove the stink of those comics but it would be something.

Comment

90% of the corps were said to die during those events, and yet we still don't know what happened. So lame.

I have a feeling you're right buffalorock, they will pin it on Dr. Manhattan.

Comment

Working...
                        X