Saint Walker & JLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bat22 View Post
    Not necessarily romantic but I think he'd at least strike up a bond with Donna, having also lost his family. Those two and J'onn J'onzz could start a club.

I suppose a plus to this League is the number of prominent female heroes - Kara, Donna, Jesse, Jennie - but, like you say, the cumulative involvement of these particular heroines smacks of substitution/transience.
    Hahah I was kidding mostly about the romantic thing. I think they'd strike up a bond, hopefully Walker being around her will make her less violent and deal with things in a healthier way. Or, you know, more in-character.

I just want him to stop writing Donna with such a bad mouth, and stop having Jade get constant reminders of what a "bad" person she was during Kyle's run (it's not her fault she forgot her adoptive parents -- Marz retconned her past, and so on), and constantly having to apologize for it.

Comment

Okay!

Comment

If I ever get the chance to write the JLA I'd completely change the lineup to fuck with fans:

Plastic Man as the team leader, in a serious, brooding role

Beast Boy, because it's high time we finally had a Titan graduate to the big leagues.

Ragman, just for diversity.

XS from the Legion for a speedster, and to kill 2 diversity birds with 1 stone.

A reformed Major Force, just because fans demanded it.

Power Girl, just so I don't have to see her in the JSA.

Hawk, to have another Titan. Plus I'd make him gay which would garner me accolades from gay readers.

The Shining Knight, because nobody thought of it, which automatically makes it cool.

And I'd bring back the Yazz as the team mascott.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffi.Kaiser View Post
          A great line up for the current JLA would be:

Batman (Dick), Supergirl or Mon-El, Cyborg, Captain Atom, Jade, Jessie, Donna and J'onn with the occasional appearance. At least in my opinion.

It has enough of those heroes that are taking up the mantle with some real heavy hitters that could balance it out.
          How about switching it around? Clark, Bruce, Diana, and then Jade, Jessie, Saint Walker, Congorilla and Mikaal?

Comment

Originally posted by missferris View Post
            I just want him to stop writing Donna with such a bad mouth, and stop having Jade get constant reminders of what a "bad" person she was during Kyle's run (it's not her fault she forgot her adoptive parents -- Marz retconned her past, and so on), and constantly having to apologize for it.
            I really, really disliked Marz's work on Jade. Whenever he gave her point on the book, he made her out to be at least as inept as Kyle. The only time she had a handle on things was against the non-meta janitor he wrote into her past. Winnick didn't make things that much better for her, just sort of took things back to square one with her Power Pulse and team book placement. I was happy for the exposure if not the characterization.

Originally posted by Jeffi.Kaiser View Post
            A great line up for the current JLA would be:

Batman (Dick), Supergirl or Mon-El, Cyborg, Captain Atom, Jade, Jessie, Donna and J'onn with the occasional appearance. At least in my opinion.

It has enough of those heroes that are taking up the mantle with some real heavy hitters that could balance it out.
            I think "Big Gun substitution" can be limited to familiar pairs - like the World's Finest or the Brave and the Bold - but usually no more.

For example, Liberty/Quick and Jade are a welcome take on the familiar Brave 'n Bold but both seem derivative in light of the World's Finest/Trinity substitutions.

I preferred Mon-El filling in for Superman to Supergirl because he's a more distanced figure [hated that they Supe'd up his costume similar to how I liked Steel making the "S" shield his own] with a good deal of history to boot.
            Bat22
            Guy's Drinking Buddy
            Last edited by Bat22; 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bat22 View Post
              I really, really disliked Marz's work on Jade. Whenever he gave her point on the book, he made her out to be at least as inept as Kyle. The only time she had a handle on things was against the non-meta janitor he wrote into her past. Winnick didn't make things that much better for her, just sort of took things back to square one with her Power Pulse and team book placement. I was happy for the exposure if not the characterization.

To me, Marz seemed like he hadn't cared much for her old ties, and how integral her happy upbringing was for her (and in contrast to her brother, Todd's, unhappy upbringing). He just retconned in an almost-sexual-assault in an orphanage to make her life harder. Personality-wise, she still had her voice. She was still self-respecting and strong, but it seemed like she was just filler since Donna could no longer be the love interest.

Winick, on the other hand, injects his own voice into his characters like mad. He did it with both Kyle and Jade, and just had them dissing frat boys and lots of melodrama (pregnancy scares, power ups, power downs, hate crimes). I mean, neither did the number that Raab did on Jade's characterization, and at least both Winick and Marz seemed to get her basics down ("can be bratty and demanding at times, but is a self-made and independent girl with a very kind heart, good-humored, playful, diva-like, tendencies to be selfish but good at prioritizing, etc"), but the roles both wanted to put her in really left a lot to be desired. Winick did good on Jade by putting her on the Outsiders, but by then all she had left was Winick's "snarky" voice, the very same one he's giving Fire and Ice now.

Jade lost her adoptive upbringing, was pretty isolated from her brother, her ex was used as a "MWahaahahah" type of villain without much regard for Hank's and Jen's personal history (not to mention Winick implied that he screwed with her mind in Infinity Inc to make her love him, I recall??? I hope I am remembering that incorrectly because it makes me rage). She lost her powers, her ties to old comrades, and even her identity. I don't know why anyone wanted to pair her with Kyle when they wanted to turn her into another person entirely.

Jade's handle on being a hero varied from issue to issue with all writers, depending on who she had to make look good or threatening. Right now she seems to have a power boost, but Robinson still seems to be meta-blaming her for a lot of things.
              missferris
              Senior Corps Member
              Last edited by missferris; 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

DCU IN 2011: THE LORD OF DARKNESS IN STARK BLACK AND WHITE

“The Rise of Eclipso” begins in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA issue 54 and, so far, we’ve kept the lid tight on the details of James Robinson’s epic storyline.

But we can confirm, this one’s got it all:

* Shade, the Changing Man.
                * Doomsday.
                * Blue Lantern Saint Walker joins the League to ensure that all will be well.
                * Alpha Lantern Boodikka and Supergirl on the trail of the Cyborg Superman.
                * The return of one of the DCU’s classic villains, Eclipso.

Eclipso’s dark, dual nature is all about the tension between light and dark so it’s only appropriate to show off some art by Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund in glorious black and white.

Comment

Just like in his Starman/Congorilla #1 issue, Brett's art is looking better than usual to me (usual = not very nice). So I like this! However, the inks and colouring might make it look not so good. Anyway, I like it in a weird way. Wonder who the artist will be after this arc.

I'm excited why do I keep getting excited for these arcs when they keep letting me down in their wrap-ups.

Comment

The article mentions Shade the Changing Man, yet the artwork shows The Shade (from Starman). Does this mean that both are in the storyline, or is this just a SNAFU?

Comment

• Some artist draw an Ugly Saint walker , like the "Blackest Night : Flash" saint walker , Or the "Green lantern : #35 rage of red lanterns"

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                        The article mentions Shade the Changing Man, yet the artwork shows The Shade (from Starman). Does this mean that both are in the storyline, or is this just a SNAFU?
                        Which article?
                        The Newsarama article linked by West in post #80 only mentions Shade, not Shade the Changing Man, so I think (unless I missed a crucial origin issue of S:tCM) West got his Shades mixed up

Mind you, if Shade is going to be making a regular appearance I might pick this book up for the duration of his involvement. (I'll certainly be picking up his ongoing if it ever appears).
                        Minimum space distance:
                        a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
                        ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

• Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
                          Which article?
                          The Newsarama article linked by West in post #80 only mentions Shade, not Shade the Changing Man, so I think (unless I missed a crucial origin issue of S:tCM) West got his Shades mixed up
                          I was talking about this:
                          Originally posted by W.West View Post
                          DCU IN 2011: THE LORD OF DARKNESS IN STARK BLACK AND WHITE

“The Rise of Eclipso” begins in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA issue 54 and, so far, we’ve kept the lid tight on the details of James Robinson’s epic storyline.

But we can confirm, this one’s got it all:

* Shade, the Changing Man.
                          * Doomsday.
                          * Blue Lantern Saint Walker joins the League to ensure that all will be well.
                          * Alpha Lantern Boodikka and Supergirl on the trail of the Cyborg Superman.
                          * The return of one of the DCU’s classic villains, Eclipso.
                          Emphasis mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                            I was talking about this:

Emphasis mine.
                            Yes, I realise that Without a link to an article, I just assumed it was an original post by West (rather than quoting an article) hence West getting his shades mixed up.
                            Minimum space distance:
                            a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
                            ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

• This happened because once again, West was posting news without bothering to name his source, which in this case seem to have been The Source.

David Hyde, who wrote that article, did indeed get his Shades mixed up. Rac Shade is not in the story.

Comment

• Soooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy!!

Comment

Working...
                                X