No announcement yet.

Marvel News Thread Vol. 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're really taking every bit of bait at face value?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
      You're really taking every bit of bait at face value?
      With the industry in peril due to this virus, you think Marvel was trolling fans? This is just like every spin off with alt versions of characters: something with limited shelf life that gives fodder to the guys making the movies.

I'd much rather have an ongoing series with Cyclops, Jean, Archangel, Gambit, and Nightcrawler proper and a couple you know... ORIGINAL characters? If this thing can manage to get more sales than likes on YouTube then all it will do is urge TPTB to really shake-up the race/gender/sex stuff in the next X-Movie. The thing is... the X-Men are already one of the most diverse groups of characters in comics if not THE MOST diverse. I can see why Marvel would try something so bold with a C-list group like New Warriors [which for the record I'm a fan of nearly every iteration of the team] with actual new characters, but to half ass do it to a group of popular X-Men where their costumed ID's are basically just given to new/younger characters is ridiculous. Now Twitter is on fire with even more creators at Marvel taking shots back at fans who don't like the new directions. Donny Cates told everyone who disliked the trailers "fuck you" and proceeded to call them bigots. To me this is equally as bad as Brie Larson telling men that her Capt. Marvel film "wasn't for them." However, not quite as bad as Dan Slott condemning everyone who voted for Trump.

It seems to me that Marvel/Disney doesn't care to lose tens of thousands of fans [one look at their official YouTube channel shows nearly 14 million subscribers, but most vids have less than 200k views]. I've said it before and I'll say it another hundred times: Make comics for kids again. And market to other businesses like bookstore chains, gas stations, and grocery stores to make them more accessible. And I don't mean one or two kids comics based on cartoons with a Young Adult graphic novel. Take the politics and the social agendas out of comics, because that isn't what's kept them in print and relevant the last few decades.

Comment

• Yeah it feels like Marvel is trying to commit suicide right now to avoid the terminal illness the doctor told them they had. It's crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
          With the industry in peril due to this virus, you think Marvel was trolling fans? This is just like every spin off with alt versions of characters: something with limited shelf life that gives fodder to the guys making the movies.

I'd much rather have an ongoing series with Cyclops, Jean, Archangel, Gambit, and Nightcrawler proper and a couple you know... ORIGINAL characters? If this thing can manage to get more sales than likes on YouTube then all it will do is urge TPTB to really shake-up the race/gender/sex stuff in the next X-Movie. The thing is... the X-Men are already one of the most diverse groups of characters in comics if not THE MOST diverse. I can see why Marvel would try something so bold with a C-list group like New Warriors [which for the record I'm a fan of nearly every iteration of the team] with actual new characters, but to half ass do it to a group of popular X-Men where their costumed ID's are basically just given to new/younger characters is ridiculous. Now Twitter is on fire with even more creators at Marvel taking shots back at fans who don't like the new directions. Donny Cates told everyone who disliked the trailers "fuck you" and proceeded to call them bigots. To me this is equally as bad as Brie Larson telling men that her Capt. Marvel film "wasn't for them." However, not quite as bad as Dan Slott condemning everyone who voted for Trump.

It seems to me that Marvel/Disney doesn't care to lose tens of thousands of fans [one look at their official YouTube channel shows nearly 14 million subscribers, but most vids have less than 200k views]. I've said it before and I'll say it another hundred times: Make comics for kids again. And market to other businesses like bookstore chains, gas stations, and grocery stores to make them more accessible. And I don't mean one or two kids comics based on cartoons with a Young Adult graphic novel. Take the politics and the social agendas out of comics, because that isn't what's kept them in print and relevant the last few decades.
          Bruh, I can't believe you're so worked up over what it is at best a 3rd string or 4th string X-book. Like I could somewhat understand if this was 1 of 3 X-books Marvel was putting out but we are on the cusp of having 12 ongoings and 2 miniseries being published at the same time. That is like an entire indie publisher's worth of resources behind the X-Men, you have plenty of options.

I would actually argue that this is the perfect time to experiment like this in regards to the X-Mne. Dawn of X is a big success and there's enough room for them to do traditional and non-traditional stories given how many titles they're churning out. Hell Hickman could probably drop a deuce, slap an X-logo on it and it would chart in the top 5 - pretty sure that's how we ended up with Fallen Angels anyways.

Comment

• I just want to say that "Safespace" and "Snowflake" are immensely hokey names. And I remember "Goldballs."
            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
              I just want to say that "Safespace" and "Snowflake" are immensely hokey names. And I remember "Goldballs."
              They've somehow managed to piss off both right wing and left wing comic twitter. It's fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                They've somehow managed to piss off both right wing and left wing comic twitter. It's fantastic.
                I cannot wait for the actual issue. It's absolutely impossible that Kibblesmith is playing this straight. There has got to be a twist, and for the love of all that is holy, I cannot predict what it is going to be. Will he kill them all off in the first issue, like it's X-Statix or Suicide Squad? Will they be villains in disguise, like the original Thunderbolts? Or, most likely, will they be something completely different and I have no idea what it's going to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                  Bruh, I can't believe you're so worked up over what it is at best a 3rd string or 4th string X-book. Like I could somewhat understand if this was 1 of 3 X-books Marvel was putting out but we are on the cusp of having 12 ongoings and 2 miniseries being published at the same time. That is like an entire indie publisher's worth of resources behind the X-Men, you have plenty of options.

I would actually argue that this is the perfect time to experiment like this in regards to the X-Mne. Dawn of X is a big success and there's enough room for them to do traditional and non-traditional stories given how many titles they're churning out. Hell Hickman could probably drop a deuce, slap an X-logo on it and it would chart in the top 5 - pretty sure that's how we ended up with Fallen Angels anyways.
                  I agree that now would be the time to experiment, but in a few years when we get a Marvel Studios X-Men I don't want to see somebody like Gambit get the axe in favor of a new and hip version like the black female throwing cards. I don't want a female Cyclops, and I don't want Nightcrawler presented in any other way that isn't blue and German.

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  I cannot wait for the actual issue. It's absolutely impossible that Kibblesmith is playing this straight. There has got to be a twist, and for the love of all that is holy, I cannot predict what it is going to be. Will he kill them all off in the first issue, like it's X-Statix or Suicide Squad? Will they be villains in disguise, like the original Thunderbolts? Or, most likely, will they be something completely different and I have no idea what it's going to be?
                  You're putting way too much faith in somebody that doesn't deserve it. Just like every other incarnation of the team, this won't last. The simple fact is the New Warriors aren't the Teen Titans. In the 90's they had appeal, but it got fewer and fewer readers with each new gimmick or relaunch.

And have you noticed how Kibblesmith was quick to point out 'Flake's pronouns but out of three obviously ethnic characters he doesn't go into anybody's racial identity? Comic companies keep pushing these androgynous brown characters with white features and coming at the diversity angle like being black and being gay are the exact same struggle. The white guys coming up with this claim it's progress and check off as many boxes as they can to make a paycheck. However, at the end of the day it's worth noting something like 90% of comic fans are white males. A new gay character isn't going to get 20k more gay folks into comics. And it should come as no surprise when a new brown racially ambiguous character doesn't bring in more black readers.

Imagine how much more interesting these characters could have been if the rest of the character was created before deciding what their sexual preference or ethnicity was. They're not making characters who happen to be gay or black [or 90% of the time that random shade of brown] or whatever, they're making characters to check off boxes. Kibblebits mentioned Safespace is your "typical jock", but he looks more like Dennis Rodman who was anything BUT typical. Then an out of shape character with no powers of her own who possesses a magical backpack being in the front and reacting faster than the apparent physical specimens... it almost seems like she represents the overweight fans who think they have all the answers but in reality have no real power themselves.

I believe what's being called "Comicsgate" exists to an extent, and Diamond closing it's doors as well as shops closing across the country opens up a lot of potential for big changes across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                    I agree that now would be the time to experiment, but in a few years when we get a Marvel Studios X-Men I don't want to see somebody like Gambit get the axe in favor of a new and hip version like the black female throwing cards. I don't want a female Cyclops, and I don't want Nightcrawler presented in any other way that isn't blue and German.
                    With the single exception of Walter Lawson, who nobody has given a single shit about since long before he died, Marvel hasn't replaced any characters so far. MCU Spider-Man is Peter, not Miles. Hulk is Banner, not Cho. Black Panther is T'Challa, not Shuri. Until the contracts with Downey and Evans ran out, Iron Man and Captain America were Tony and Steve. And we'll see how long Sam as Cap really lasts, and if he has traction beyond a single season of Disney+ show (which is called Falcon). Thor 4 is shaking up the formula after three whole solo movies with Hensworth, plus four Avengers movies. And I have my doubts that Portman will still be Thor in #5. There is one character whose comic book replacement took over the role before their first movie, though. Ant-Man. And they couldn't find a whiter dude than Paul Rudd.

When Disney finally gets to the MCU X-Men, they will stay closer to the source material than Fox ever did.

You're putting way too much faith in somebody that doesn't deserve it.
                    How many Kibblesmith books have you read? What didn't you like in Lockjaw, Loki or Black Panther vs Deadpool? I mean, he brought D-Man back, and that alone makes him okay in my book. Plus, I've loved his appearances on the War Rocket Ajax podcast. He's a very likable dude. And he's smart.

Comic companies keep pushing these androgynous brown characters with white features...

Even if that were true, and looking at the current lineups of the Avengers, Justice League, X-Men and Teen Titans, I just don't see that constant push at all, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I have more characters to relate to than I can count, and giving that luxury to other readers doesn't take mine away.
                    ...and coming at the diversity angle like being black and being gay are the exact same struggle.

I don't see it that way at all.
                    The white guys coming up with this claim it's progress and check off as many boxes as they can to make a paycheck. However, at the end of the day it's worth noting something like 90% of comic fans are white males.
                    In the shop I run, it's much closer to 60%, if even that. And you don't seem to notice that across all major companies, comic books still publish over 50 books every single month that have white male protagonists.
                    Those other fringe titles are published on top of those, not at the expense of them.
                    I believe what's being called "Comicsgate" exists to an extent, and Diamond closing it's doors as well as shops closing across the country opens up a lot of potential for big changes across the board.
                    Yeah. As the not-so-proud owner of Cyberfrog Blood Honey, I don't see a future in two or three subpar series that each ship once every two years, with pathetic fake coins that rip off the hands that feeds them. You're going to see drastically diminishing returns on these projects very soon. I appreciate trying to find ways to circumvent Diamond, but Comicsgate is not it.
                    Michael Heide
                    Heide Finition
                    Last edited by Michael Heide; 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Lorne Balfe Scoring Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’

Lorne Balfe (Mission: Impossible – Fallout, The LEGO Batman Movie, The Crown, Bad Boys for Life) has recently been scoring Marvel Studios’ upcoming spy thriller Black Widow. The film is directed by Cate Shortland (Lore, Somersault) and stars Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz, Ray Winstone, William Hurt and O-T Fagbenle. The movie follows the title character as she confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Eric Pearson (Thor: Ragnarok) wrote the screenplay based on a story by Jac Schaeffer (The Hustle) and Ned Benson (The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby). Kevin Feige (Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther, Iron Man) is producing the project. Alexandre Desplat has originally been announced as the film’s composer earlier this year. Black Widow is currently awaiting a new release date.
                      http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/03...s-black-widow/

What I feared came true. I was looking forward to hearing what Desplat would have done with this. Hopefully he does a DC movie in the future. As for Balfe, I've never cared for anything he's done and he seems to be the go to replacement composer on big budget franchise films.

Comment

• Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by robojac View Post
                          Lorne Balfe Scoring Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/03...s-black-widow/

What I feared came true. I was looking forward to hearing what Desplat would have done with this. Hopefully he does a DC movie in the future. As for Balfe, I've never cared for anything he's done and he seems to be the go to replacement composer on big budget franchise films.
                          I just wanna thank you for ALWAYS being the one to find these score bits. You actually give a shit. I couldn't name more than three composers if I tried really really hard. Your trepidation actually gives me pause because I don't actually know when to care.

Comment

• The Beat: Marvel announces more digital-only releases for June 2020
                            The following single-issue comics will now only be available digitally from Marvel, before eventually making their print debut in collected editions:

Wednesday, June 3:
                            • AVENGERS OF THE WASTELANDS #5
                            • REVENGE OF THE COSMIC GHOST RIDER #5
                            • 2020 FORCE WORKS #3
                            • SCREAM: CURSE OF CARNAGE #6

Wednesday, June 17:
                            • VALKYRIE: JANE FOSTER #10
                            • ANT-MAN #5
                            • 2020 IRONHEART #2
                            • GHOST-SPIDER #10

Wednesday, July 1:
                            • HAWKEYE: FREEFALL #6
                            • MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN: THE BLACK CAT STRIKES #5
                            • RAVENCROFT #5
                            • STAR #5
                            Hypo
                            Lil' Leaguer
                            Last edited by Hypo; 05-28-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Daredevil actor Peter Shinkoda alleges Jeph Loeb made racist comments to writers
                                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X