Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you think Geoff Johns reflects on his time writing GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly.

Comment

Ivan was a nobody before Secret Origin though. Philip Tan wasn't a name until Agent Orange. Geoff has never been made by the artists, but he definitely NEVER had any bad ones. He's great at picking collaborators.

I'm sure he looks back at his time with GL more than fondly. We wouldn't have a "DC Rebirth" if that weren't the case. I'm sure his only regret is that Brightest Day didn't lead to anything or that the GL movie didn't keep pushing the momentum forward.

Comment

The guy saved Green Lantern,and elevated it. GL at it's best sold steady. Geoff Made it a success. And at the beginning his run was great. GL was in the hands of some one who actually liked GL. He just over reached. He hinted at stuff and never gave us a payoff. I blame DC just as much as I blame him though. They saw money in the events and got greedy.

Not every choice he made was good, but he was the only one to treat GL like an A-list hero. Something that had not been done sine the way back times.
        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

After Kyle got over his rookie feet of clay, both Marz and Morrison (in JLA) treated him like A-List. Then Winick and Raab destroyed Kyle, so something had to be done. Geoff was just lucky that it was him who was allowed to do the next big status quo change, anyone with half a brain could have made GL as a franchise successful again without cluttering it with his shit ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
            Ivan was a nobody before Secret Origin though.
            What, before Green Lantern: Secret Origin? You're kidding me, right?

Philip Tan wasn't a name until Agent Orange.
            He wasn't a name, but he did A-level art.

I'm sure he looks back at his time with GL more than fondly. We wouldn't have a "DC Rebirth" if that weren't the case.
            Wouldn't we also not have had "Flashpoint" (you know, the event that created the New 52) without him?

Comment

Ivan Reis had done the Avengers and Superman by the time he replaced Pacheco on Green Lantern.

Tan had done the X-Men.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                After Kyle got over his rookie feet of clay, both Marz and Morrison (in JLA) treated him like A-List. Then Winick and Raab destroyed Kyle, so something had to be done. Geoff was just lucky that it was him who was allowed to do the next big status quo change, anyone with half a brain could have made GL as a franchise successful again without cluttering it with his shit ideas.
                Yet no one ever did.Green Lantern was never a top seller. Until Geoff and Ethan.

Comment

Hopefully fondly because I am hoping when the dust settles he returns to both it and the JSA as well as the LSH stories he wanted to tell since they are my 3 favorite DC properties and he has shown that he can write a dang definitive take on two of them already.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                    Hopefully fondly because I am hoping when the dust settles he returns to both it and the JSA as well as the LSH stories he wanted to tell since they are my 3 favorite DC properties and he has shown that he can write a dang definitive take on two of them already.
                    Back when he was hungry, cared, and editorial was still able to rein him in... he wasn't bad. But we haven't seen that Geoff since somewhere around the middle of "Sinestro Corps War."

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                      Yet no one ever did.Green Lantern was never a top seller. Until Geoff and Ethan.
                      Um.... what?! During the height of the Kyle era, Green Lantern was the most popular and best selling title that didn't feature Batman or Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                        Um.... what?! During the height of the Kyle era, Green Lantern was the most popular and best selling title that didn't feature Batman or Superman.
                        Yeah. They don't normally give books that aren't selling really well their own spinoffs ("The New Corps," "Circle of Fire," etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                          Ivan Reis had done the Avengers and Superman by the time he replaced Pacheco on Green Lantern.

Tan had done the X-Men.
                          Neither one of them were names though, Reis had done like 20 issues of Avengers and Superman combined, some of those were backups. Some of those Avengers issues were with Johns too if I remember correctly.

And I'm pretty sure Tan's X-men run didn't hit double digits in terms of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            Yeah. They don't normally give books that aren't selling really well their own spinoffs ("The New Corps," "Circle of Fire," etc.).
                            Those were closer to one shots then "Spin offs"

Comment

Working...
                            X