Geoff Johns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Johns

Sorry if this subject has been discussed before, but I'm new here and after some searching, I didn't find it, so here it is :

I often see people complaining about Johns, and I'm a "new" GL reader (started in blackest night). I admit my background is mostly marvel, and they have Bendis. I don't want to make a VS thread, but I understand all the complaints about Bendis and it's clear he disrespect his fans and continuity, and I'm the first to hope he'll stop polluting the comic industry, but Johns ?

Why do people seem to hate him so much ? I really liked what I read from him, and he's so better than Bendis and than a great bunch of writers also IMO. Please help me understand.
    My pull list : Green lantern, Green lantern corps, Green lantern new guardians, Red lanterns, Demon knights, Stormwatch, Earth 2, World's finest, Batman incorporated, Batman, Detective comics, Suicide squad, The savage hawkman, Green arrow, Wonder woman, The ravagers, Justice league international, Justice league, Justice league dark, Supergirl, Superman, Incredible hulk, Fatale, Game of thrones.

Bendis doesn't skullf*ck my childhood like Johns does.

All my memories are pregnant.

Comment

Let me put it this way, Kilowog:

Geoff Johns rewrites so much continuity (of virtually every book DC publishes) that we might was well start saying as fact that he invented DC altogether.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Kilowog View Post
        Sorry if this subject has been discussed before, but I'm new here and after some searching, I didn't find it, so here it is :

I often see people complaining about Johns, and I'm a "new" GL reader (started in blackest night). I admit my background is mostly marvel, and they have Bendis. I don't want to make a VS thread, but I understand all the complaints about Bendis and it's clear he disrespect his fans and continuity, and I'm the first to hope he'll stop polluting the comic industry, but Johns ?

Why do people seem to hate him so much ? I really liked what I read from him, and he's so better than Bendis and than a great bunch of writers also IMO. Please help me understand.
        The bitching mainly stems from older fans who hate that their "continuity" no longer exists.

and Bendis does not disrespect his fans. I've actually met the man and he's awesome and down to earth, same with Johns. Johns gave me a doughnut

Comment

i like johns but i do have some issues with some of his stuff

i admit im not a long time reader like alot of people on the board are
          .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Let me put it this way:

Geoff "Yellow Bug" Johns.

Comment

Originally posted by Noct View Post
              Let me put it this way:

Geoff "Yellow Bug" Johns.
              Let's face doing what they did to Hal was bullshit in ET.

Geoff Johns brought more readers to GL than any other writer before him.

Comment

Originally posted by Iggy View Post
                and Bendis does not disrespect his fans. I've actually met the man and he's awesome and down to earth, same with Johns. Johns gave me a doughnut
                I'm sure people said the same thing about Warren G. Harding.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Problems, or atleast mine, actually started around Blackest Night. Seems like the events he creates always has to have a foreshadowing and a character who is possessed in some way. Then there's the villains that always has to be changed. Black Hand, Nekron, and Krona are a bit different to completely different than who they used to be, and not because they evolved or changed, but because their original versions didn't quite fit Geoff's plots, and instead of finding ways to tell a story of how they changed their goals, or creating a new character not based on the past, he just ups and bastardize them. The first story of Nekron was more unique than Geoff's, and the continued story of Krona had cosmic gold that now will be forever lost.

Comment

I've been a huge fan of Johns since Rebirth but to me his writting on GL started to go downhill at the end of War Of The Green Lanterns. And then when the relaunch happened he lost me completelly, simply put the current GL book is a shell of what the book was during Volume 4 and I can't figure out why he thought this was the right direction to go in after all the success of the past 6 years. I still see the old Geoff Johns in Aquaman which is a great book, but in both GL and JLA I have no idea who that guy is and why the books which should be great reads both are horrible.
                    "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Originally posted by Kilowog View Post
                      Is this because of my welcome post? I just wanted to give you a heads up. You would've come across this after a bit.

I'm somewhere in between: Geoff Johns is neither the best nor worst thing to happen to comics, imho.

The "problem" is that he does extensive retcons (which he freely admits, btw) and then justifies his further actions by them. This is so common that around here we call them Geoffcons. For instance, Sinestro used to be a crooked GL that became a mass murderer. Johns tones that down and makes him the greatest GL ever so he could make him a GL again and say "see, he's redeemable, he's really a good lantern." Several of us fear he is doing the same thing to the Guardians of the Universe. They were always detached and a little jerky, but now they're becoming outright villains. We think he might (don't know for sure yet) get rid of them and then say "look, they were always villains, you don't want them around." There are many more things like this. The detractors will say he's ruining classic Green Lantern and the fans will say he's revitalizing it for this century. It's up to you.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      I'm sure people said the same thing about Warren G. Harding.
                      Warren G. Harding gave out donuts?

Comment

In his first several years, Johns was an excellent superhero comic book writer. He was a fanboy; kind of our guy on the inside, righting wrongs, and fixing mistakes by previous creative teams. In JSA he brought Extant to justice, fixed Hawkman, and saved Rex Tyler.

Sometime after the SCW (and honestly, before that), his focus became less on good storytelling, and more on event and plot driven stories. I'd now firmly call Geoff Johns the Michael Bay of comics...who also uses a shitload of unnecessary retcons.

Comment

Geoff Johns : Michael Bay :: Retcons : Explosions

Comment

I actully don't mind Johns. I hate retcons, but the actual storys are good. And why everyone hates the "Hal got infected by a yellow bug" realy pussles me. I like the whole concept of emotional entitys and just like Ion currently has a host, I want parallax to own a host!
                            Originally posted by IonFan
                            (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                            Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                            If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                            Originally posted by Quaker
                            I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Boy View Post
                              Geoff Johns : Michael Bay :: Retcons : Explosions
                              This should actually be Geoff:Retcons :: Michael Bay:Explosions
                              I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X