When the JSA comes back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the JSA comes back...

...don't add any damned modern characters to it to "improve" it, DC.

I'm sure some people are dying to do that, so they can leave their mark on the property, but it's the one way to screw this up.

With Stargirl and the modern Vixen's predecessor's in the CW's version of the JSA in the 40's, I wouldn't bet the farm on it NOT happening to some degree. So long as Alan, Jay, etc. are back to normal I could give two shits what they do to the more modern interpretations. I doubt they'll get rid of Holt in favor of Sloan as Mr. Terrific again for one...

~//V\\~

Comment

Me and my sha-dow...

Comment

I assume it will suck because, well, DC and Marvel suck currently. But I have to at least try this. My preference would be they have their own universe to play in, and do crossovers once a year with the regular DCU. I don't think I need them to be a continuation of the end of the old DCU, because by the end that JSA was a joke, and far removed from what made the concept work for decades. Someone decided to make them a real society and let any loser join the group and that bit about taking over that city they wrecked. It might be better if they skip back further in time and make them a time displaced team who are only middle aged instead of over 100 years old.

Comment

This is also the way the JSA should have been brought back in the 90s. Making them a hundred years old and putting modern characters on the team then was obviously a poor concept with a built-in and looming expiration date. Why did they do that? It made no sense.

Tying comics characters to real-world events (in this case WW2) limits how long you can use them before they get too old to use. Duh!
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-05-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Yeah but the JSA have to be tied to WWII. Its an essential part of their appeal. They dont work without it. Thats why the lost in time route works long term like it did for Cap. You just constantly expand the amount of time said heroes used to move to modern day.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              Yeah but the JSA have to be tied to WWII. Its an essential part of their appeal. They dont work without it. Thats why the lost in time route works long term like it did for Cap. You just constantly expand the amount of time said heroes used to move to modern day.
              They can start out in WW2, as Cap did. And if you move them from there to the indefinite "present day" while they're still young, as Cap was, then there's no clock ticking for them. You can always say they arrived here very recently. You can still say that a hundred years from now. DC went wrong with them in the Nineties by not doing something like Marvel did with Cap in the Sixties. They're fixing that now.

(You're welcome for the idea, DC.)
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

The main thing I complained about when the New 52 was launched was their bringing back Earth 2. I thought it wouldn't support an ongoing, and it didn't. Especially since it involved a wholesale re-imagining of the JSA. All they had to do was give us the real deal, but they didn't do that.

This is a correction of that mistake, and as I said, the only way to screw it up will be to put modern characters on the team. Unfortunately I think there's a good chance that they won't be able to resist doing that.

Back when I proposed the idea on CBR to bring the original JSA to this place and time, while still young, the main complaint people voiced was, "What are they going to do?' My answer was, "They'll fight bad guys." But no, some people said, "The JLA already does that." I replied, "The JSA will fight other bad guys." They said, "No, the JSA needs a limited mission." I said, "Bull. Give the JLA a limited mission and see how that works out for them. Remember JLA Task Force?"

I think there's a good chance that DC will take that ill-advised approach and give the JSA a limited mission, but if it hurts the sales, they'll probably see the error of their ways and relent. They'd be a lot less likely to back down if they screwed it up with modern characters.

Comment

Working...
                X