Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it good having everyone crammed into one book? Is it working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it good having everyone crammed into one book? Is it working?

I haven't read any H&TGLC (and what a very unfortunate title, really), so I'm genuinely curious. It's great to see EVS doing good amounts of GL again, but I'm not convinced this book would be a wholly satisfying experience for me.

The GLC was fun, if often tediously stretching out stories to 5 issues just "because the trade, brah!" but never really provided any meaningful character arcs for... well, really anyone at all, given the nature of so many people under one roof.

By that token, this seems significantly worse. How can Kyle, Guy or John get any kind of noteworthy character arcs if they have to play house with one another and STILL allow Hal to undeservedly be the titular "top dog"? I'm not sure it's possible. I mean, maybe over the course of 2 years (24 issues) there could be like one Kyle arc, or something interesting happening to Guy that changes him... but the same kind of stuff that could happen in, say, 1 issue of a Kyle series, or 5 issues of a "normal" GLC book.
    Yes
    55.56%
    No
    33.33%
    I don't read it
    11.11%

If one is looking for serious, ongoing character development, then yeah, I think it is likely too crowded for that to happen on a scale that would satisfy. You can still tell stories that have room to showcase the existing characters, but if your desire is to see them change and grow individually in significant ways, that is obviously going to be hampered by the size of the cast. Putting that kind of focus on one character will most likely mean that you aren't doing it for others.

Back before Kyle's time, at the beginning of Vol. 3, they had three Earth GLs sharing the title, and each DID get decent character development, but only really through a rotating focus. And then they spun John and Guy off into their own titles (though Guy wasn't a GL anymore. I confess, though, that Guy's time as the wielder of Sinestro's ring was probably my favorite part of his long history).

Now they have 4 Earth GLs to deal with in this title, and if they insist on telling stories that constantly include all of them at once, individual character development will, I think, necessarily have to take a back seat.

Not everybody is looking for that, of course. For some people, telling an exciting story with familiar characters of which they are already fond is far more important than having any kind major growth or development for those characters. (There is something to be said for this idea, I think, given how ephemeral "major character development" is in comics, with a lot of change and growth being regularly sidelined or forgotten in the next reboot/change of focus/re-imagining.)

I'm not sure how well this title succeeds on that score, either. I'm not hating it, so I guess it is doing a DECENT job, at least.

Comment

It's not selling, that's for sure. The sales are very bad and dropping.

Comment

i don't read it any more cause of what they did to Kyle, i'll come back once Kyle is great again

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I'll be honest, I only read an issue here and there till Kyle was brought back on board. The way he went from being the White Lantern to a GL again was an odd way to do it, and the execution was damn confusing "Hey Kyle, with no instructions go put your hands on Saint Walker's head and 'do stuff' with White Lantern Power so we can find other Blue Lanterns...". It was equally as confusing as the end of Omega Men where Kyle is talking to a US military general about what went down in space.

Aside from that the overall direction to me is just wrong for the franchise. John Stewart shouldn't lead the GLC by himself. The Sinestros shouldn't be good guy psychos now under Soranik's thumb. Kyle should be good for more than a fleeting relationship with the daughter of the man who killed his mother.

Hal's had some decent moments since DCU REBIRTH. Guy's had a few as well. Why Venditti [or whatever his name is] gets to write GLC into the ground after not doing much for it in the end of the last volume is beyond me. He takes concepts like the GLC vs Starros and the GLC vs Brainiac and makes them easily forgettable. How can that be anything but epic? Even with EVS art?!?

Hal and Kyle should be the stars of GLs, and John and Guy should star in the GLC after they get the Guardians and everything back to a more reasonable status quo.

~//V\\~

Comment

It's not working. Hal should be in the main solo title because he's the headliner. And GLC should have a combo of two human GLs starring in it as a buddy cop book. Like John and Guy or Guy and Kyle. And then a third title starring Kyle doing godhood things to make Ion happy. I would also LOVE a John Stewart solo title.

But cramming 4 GLs into one title with ALL the alien GLs? It is not working for me. Especially when I see that other title on the shelves, wasting precious panel space on those two turds.

Comment

I have not bought a single issue of this series. The last Green Lantern book I bought regularly was Lost Army back in 2015. However, I take a look at this series from time to time. Yes, it is too crowded. Another big problem, though, is that Robert Venditti writes REALLY boring Green Lantern stories. None, I repeat, NONE of his Green Lantern stories have any weight to them. "Forgettable" is the perfect word to describe them. I don't think any regular Green Lantern writer in Green Lantern's history has ever done a run so un-noteworthy as Robert Venditti's ... well, except for Ben Raab.

This status quo doesn't work for me. The aliens are way underplayed and the humans get no character development and are generally uninteresting characters. The storylines are never captivating.
              Star-Lantern
              Weaponer of Qward
              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM.
              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                It's not working. Hal should be in the main solo title because he's the headliner. And GLC should have a combo of two human GLs starring in it as a buddy cop book. Like John and Guy or Guy and Kyle. And then a third title starring Kyle doing godhood things to make Ion happy. I would also LOVE a John Stewart solo title.

But cramming 4 GLs into one title with ALL the alien GLs? It is not working for me. Especially when I see that other title on the shelves, wasting precious panel space on those two turds.
                awwwwwwwww your thinking of me

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I'll say that it's a solid title overall and it's not too crowded as a short-term experiment. However, it does have hints of claustrophobic storytelling if DC tries to use this lineup for years. The Lanternverse needs a third title with a combo like Guy & Arklilo or Kyle & Saint Walker doing something different than John & Hal.
                  Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

People say that Green Lantern needs a third title, but what it really comes down to are enough people going to pay for that? As of right now, I'd say no, not enough to justify the cost of having one. DC should find a way to get by having only two Green Lantern books. I think that could comfortably be achieved if Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz weren't in the picture.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                    X