Opinions on the Omega Lantern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Omega Lantern

So... I JUST got done reading all twelve issues of the recent Omega Men series in one sitting. Now I'll admit, I've never been a huge Omega Men fan, but I have enjoyed Tigorr here and there since the R/T War. I'd give the series itself probably 7 out of 10 stars. There were some good moments here and there, even though I don't generally get into comics that preach this or that. There was a lot of Religion vs Politics in the book that really got old after just a few issues. One thing that kinda bugged me was the ending.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

In the end of the series the Omega Men rule each of their homeworlds and Kyle is left talking to somebody seemingly from the US government about how eventually Earth will have to venture to the Vega System for the substance to save the world from going boom like Krypton. And then Kyle acted like he didn't know who's side he'd be on in that event.... did that basically end the story of the Omega Men? Making them the kings and queens of their worlds? IDK, it just seemed anti-climactic.

Now back to Kyle... the OMEGA LANTERN. I definitely liked the look for the most part (the art was hit or miss) and the idea of a Lantern on a team like the Omega Men certainly sounded cool. I feel like with this arc and the Renegade Hal story DC was trying to find something like the Guardians of the Galaxy for one of the GLs. With better execution either of them could have been. I gave both of them a chance just because it wasn't the same old same old emotional spectrum story. Had the series been centered more around Kyle Rayner and been from his POV it would've been more enjoyable. The art left a lot to be desired and I can only imagine how amazing it could've looked with more consistent pencils by Eaglesham, Banks, EVS, or Pelletier...

What did everyone else think? Was the Omega Lantern a better sell than White Lantern Kyle? Did Ion 1.0 set too high a bar for all these other attempts at making Kyle unique?

~//V\\~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-14-2017, 02:44 AM.

I'm now numb to any gimmick/persona DC gives Kyle to power him up. He has been a Green Lantern, Ion (twice), Parallax, an Honor Guard GL, a Blue Lantern, a White Lantern, an Omega Lantern, not to mention all of the other colors of the rainbow. How can I NOT be numb to it? It's become kind of a joke now.

Kyle still hasn't taken on the personas of the First Lantern, the Phantom Lantern, or the Travel Lantern, so there's always that. But as far as Omega Men and Omega Lantern? Another bump in the road I just roll my eyes over, thanking God this isn't Hal Jordan they are doing this to.

Comment

Most of the stuff save for becoming Ion that has happened to Kyle has happened to Hal. Both wore the majority of the rings, both became White Lanterns, both lead the New Guardians, both became Parallax, etc. The only thing Hal has on Kyle now is wearing the gauntlet and that's probably because it happened at the same time. And I think Hal was also a Black Lantern, I don't think Kyle ever was...

I think Kyle is the only one of the Lanterns that powering up actually does something for the franchise as a whole. It's been shown to work. If Warriror, Darkstar John, or Spectre was any good you could make the argument for somebody else... but Kyle is the only one of the bunch who's new status quos still affiliate him with the GLC proper.

If DC wants to take a Lantern and use him in some DC attempt at a GotG type bunch then I'm game. I just wish if they were gonna do it they'd go all in and actually let a creative team make something great and not just something by the numbers and/or *safe*.

~//V\\~

Comment

Marvel could have made an Omega Men movie that sold. Well, they already did, but I see your point. I just don't see WB, let alone DC making it work nowadays.

And don't remind me about all those rings they made Hal wear. I'm tring to push them out of my mind. So horrible!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
          I'm now numb to any gimmick/persona DC gives Kyle to power him up. He has been a Green Lantern, Ion (twice), Parallax, an Honor Guard GL, a Blue Lantern, a White Lantern, an Omega Lantern, not to mention all of the other colors of the rainbow. How can I NOT be numb to it? It's become kind of a joke now.

Kyle still hasn't taken on the personas of the First Lantern, the Phantom Lantern, or the Travel Lantern, so there's always that. But as far as Omega Men and Omega Lantern? Another bump in the road I just roll my eyes over, thanking God this isn't Hal Jordan they are doing this to.
          This post literally made me laugh out loud

As for Omega Lantern, I did not read Omega Men, so I don't really know. However, if Kyle Rayner were to take on some other role in the DC Universe, like joining some space faring team, I think it has the potential to be good for him. If done well, it could do more for him than hanging around in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps could. If it were up to me, I'd distribute these characters differently.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

It reminded me a lot of the Renegade Hal arc in that the Lantern is given a new mission, a new perspective, and forced to align with characters they normally wouldn't have for an extended period of time.

I much prefer both set-ups to the New Guardians Rainbow Corps, or stories still tied to the emotional spectrum. The only thing that bugged me story-wise about Omega Men was how much time went on during the story. It was over the course of a couple of months along with a war that lasted nearly another two hundred days.

I think with a couple different Omega Men characters involved and a different ending to the twelve issue arc the idea could've moved on to a monthly series. I would've brought in Wildfire [the male Tamaranian] and another random space/cosmic DCU character like Martian Manhunter [since he isn't in the League]. MM should definitely be a cosmic character if he's not gonna be used properly on Earth. There's just too much you can do with him to let it go to waste....

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
            X