Where did v4 go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
    Stop wasting page space with that new 52 news crap and give us some stand alone issues.
    what the hell is with that anyway? Two pages, completely gone to waste every month! If they're just going to piss them away, they would be better served to bring back the letter collumns. The whole point of getting rid of the LCs was that they supposedly didn't have the pages to spare. You could use those two current pages as bird cage liners.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
      Remember the 90s when Kyle's stories were like one crossover after another?
      Spaced months to years apart. And they lasted a few issues at most. Nor did they require years of back reading for them to make even a tiny bit of sense.
      The last fan of 1990s comics
      Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
        what the hell is with that anyway? Two pages, completely gone to waste every month! If they're just going to piss them away, they would be better served to bring back the letter collumns. The whole point of getting rid of the LCs was that they supposedly didn't have the pages to spare. You could use those two current pages as bird cage liners.
        I think the lettercols were dropped because Internet message boards made them untimely and irrelevant.

There should be one page of DCU news with a box in its lower right corner containing a promo for the upcoming issue of that particular title. If they can't sell enough ad to fill up that other page then they should run public service announcements.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
          I think the lettercols were dropped because Internet message boards made them untimely and irrelevant.
          I think that's it too.

I agree, though, we don't need the C.52 stuff, especially when there's the final, final page highlighting current major events.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            I think that's it too.

I agree, though, we don't need the C.52 stuff, especially when there's the final, final page highlighting current major events.
            The message boards also exposed the lettercols as being phony and heavily censored to accent the praise the comics receive.

Comment

The message boards also exposed the lettercols as being phony and heavily censored to accent the praise the comics receive.
              Well, it's funny because if you read Silver Age letter cols they included very critical letters, but by the 90s they all seemed white washed.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                Spaced months to years apart. And they lasted a few issues at most. Nor did they require years of back reading for them to make even a tiny bit of sense.
                Starting with GL Vol. 3 #56 every other issue was a crossover with New Titans, JLA etc up until #100.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                  Starting with GL Vol. 3 #56 every other issue was a crossover with New Titans, JLA etc up until #100.
                  There was a guest star in almost every Kyle story. They were trying to work him into the DCU and coax the fans of the guest stars to buy GL. I didn't like it because he was being babied that way and brought along so slowly but I have to admit that it worked.

Comment

There was a guest star in almost every Kyle story. They were trying to work him into the DCU and coax the fans of the guest stars to buy GL. I didn't like it because he was being babied that way and brought along so slowly but I have to admit that it worked.
                    You know, I couldn't think of any reason why so few Kyle stories made it to Germany (Dino verlag collected exactly 9 issues of them) back in the days.
                    And it never occured to me that a lot of them wouldn't make sense without Guy Gardner/New Titans/Darkstars/JLA etc so they weren't brought here.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Well, it's funny because if you read Silver Age letter cols they included very critical letters, but by the 90s they all seemed white washed.
                      You've got a point there. I've seen that too. I think it started in the late 80s. Jim Shooter has admitted that they often made up letters to fill a LC or to talk about a subject nobody wrote in about.

I still miss them. They were a part of fanboy comic history, fans taking part in comics and having their comments immortalized in them. Even with the bad, I'd still like to see them back. I mean would anyone really rather have the nU52 newspage? I don't think I've ever actually read every balloon on one of those turds.

Comment

You know, I suspected that some of those letters were made up. But what tipped me off to the bullshit was that during the entire period after Emerald Twilight there was only one letter that criticized it. The lettercols were full of rapt praise for what DC had done, even though I personally sent three letters that disapproved of it.

I knew a guy who wrote for Pro Wrestling Illustrated. He once printed a "letter" that supposedly came from woman who we both know. She said she got a couple of phone calls at her house from people who were bitching about what she had supposedly written, and she didn't know what they were talking about.

Comment

I knew a guy who wrote for Pro Wrestling Illustrated. He once printed a "letter" that supposedly came from woman who we both know. She said she got a couple of phone calls at her house from people who were bitching about what she had supposedly written, and she didn't know what they were talking about.
                          Wait, Pro Wrestling letter columns are fake?! That's....appropriate, actually.

You know what I really enjoyed? The Letter Column in Mosaic. Now THAT was a lettercol that had no problem printing critical letters. It was great.

Comment

If they brought back a "Letters by Lantern Light" column (or similar), it would be full of GJ hate and furious anger about the current state of the book. All content that nobody would want to print.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                              If they brought back a "Letters by Lantern Light" column (or similar), it would be full of GJ hate and furious anger about the current state of the book. All content that nobody would want to print.
                              No. They would GET a bunch of letters like that, but the column would be full of fawning praise. And let's be honest. They could easily fill the column with positive letters without even having to make them up. There are plenty of people who like the comic currently, or at least would be willing to ignore their misgivings for the chance to see their name in print in the letter column...

Comment

We last had a letters column in GL v4 #20, where scores of comic professionals fawned over Johns' run every few pages, fluffing up the book.
                                The last fan of 1990s comics
                                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Working...
                                X