Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$169 bucks at the comic store this week?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $169 bucks at the comic store this week?!?

Admittedly I haven't been to my local comic shop in three weeks, but...$169? That was what my stack came out to be, though I only got four actual individual comics yesterday.

I picked up Edge Of Oblivion #4, Omega Men #11, and both covers for Sinestro #22.

What got me was the hardcovers/trades. I got the softcover of GL volume 6, the hardcover for GL vol 7. And the big one was the Geoff Johns GL vol 3. That was over a hundred bucks alone after my discount.

The omnibus will stay in shrinkwrap with the other two Geoff Johns GL omnibuses..es on my GL bookcase for a few years. At some point I'll feel nostalgic enough to do a massive reread and I'll use the omnibus format where I can. Just glad that's over and his whole run has been collected in that format. My subscriptions end there in June when the 52 titles and and Rebirth begins. I'm not ordering any new collections so this was the last big purchase I had to make. I didn't want to stick my local shop with crap that I previously ordered before planning my exodus from the hobby.

Sadly, the one book I DID go to the store to buy, Locke & Key Master Edition volume II wasn't there, lol. I had to give him the Diamond ordering number for it again so they could get it for me!

If I had the money and space to spare, I might do that, but as it is I don't buy trades of comics I have in floppies. If I do re-read them (which is admittedly rare), I just have to put up with the hassle of undoing the little piece of tape (which snaps and needs to be replaced like 1/4 of the times).

Comment

I always use foggy tape on my bags and boards. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        What got me was the hardcovers/trades. I got the softcover of GL volume 6, the hardcover for GL vol 7.
        Wait, do you get both the HC and SC versions of the same trade? Or do you just mix and match?

Anyways I can't judge, I spent like $500 on comics this month.

Comment

I always get both.

Comment

See, that's just obsessive. I mean, I thought I was obsessive getting every Star Trek novel ever published (though I do have a few gaps in my collection, I have READ them all, and am trying to fill the gaps as the opportunity arises), but at least I don't get them all in every binding available.

Comment

I have been obsessive as a GL fan. And my GL fandom has always been my biggest and most expensive habit. Of all the things I am a fan of, GL was always the priority. Now...I'm just burned out. Too expensive to spend money on things I'm not enjoying. It was fine from 2005-2010 during the boom because I was really enjoying the product. After that it was downhill. I now have a ROOM full of GL crap. Cases of figures unopened that I have no room to hang on a wall to appreciate looking at. I stopped buying the merchandise about two years ago and never regretted it.

I'll still pick up trades and hardcovers here and there, but they won't be of the superhero genre, and I'm just going to buy what I'm enjoying at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                I have been obsessive as a GL fan. And my GL fandom has always been my biggest and most expensive habit. Of all the things I am a fan of, GL was always the priority. Now...I'm just burned out. Too expensive to spend money on things I'm not enjoying. It was fine from 2005-2010 during the boom because I was really enjoying the product. After that it was downhill. I now have a ROOM full of GL crap. Cases of figures unopened that I have no room to hang on a wall to appreciate looking at. I stopped buying the merchandise about two years ago and never regretted it.

I'll still pick up trades and hardcovers here and there, but they won't be of the superhero genre, and I'm just going to buy what I'm enjoying at the moment.
                I'm retarded when it comes to that. I have a HUGE collection of Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, Justice League, Avengers. From the 70s to present, trades, hardcovers, single issue lots. And I'm dead serious when I say retardedly huge. I have the entire Ostrander run of Martian Manhunter from the 80s in single issues, all kept near mint and always carefully bagged and boarded...because I still read all my comics. I won't keep a comic I won't read over and over.

I'm cuckoo, dude. Love my comics. Even weirder, I have a huge collection of classic literature (Dostoevsky, Faulkner, Dickinson, etc), and art music scores (mostly Beethoven and Wagner). I am nuts about books!

I average about $700 a month on them, but I sell the ones I don't like.
                KilowogsDisciple
                Green Lantern
                Last edited by KilowogsDisciple; 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

That shop must love you. I only get my individual issues at the shop now. There's ALWAYS a better deal online than at my shop.

Comment

Yeah they've made a mint off of me over the years. I'm looking at a shelf of absolute hardcovers as I type this. There are 14 of them along with other high end hardcovers. I bought all of them there trying to do my part to support brick and mortar.

Comment

Damn. I'm surprised you're not broke, after spending all that cash.

Comment

I don't spend nearly what I used to in my heyday as a comic fan. Now my money goes to other things I enjoy.

Comment

At the comic book shop (the happiest place on Earth!), $169 sounds pretty tame. I spent $115 the last time I was at a big comic shop and I could have spent ten times as much had I had the disposable income.
                          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I'm glad that I married such an understanding woman when it comes to my comic hobby. I hadn't been to my LCS for roughly a month and I knew that would result in a) a very large bill since I ordered some TPBs or b) my pull folder would be empty since the shop only holds books for 30 days. It was the former and the tab came to $88. Luckily, our money situation has been a little better lately and I was able to cover the tab with cash.

So the lessons here are to get to the shop more often and be careful when ordering full runs of trades. At least now I don't feel quite as compelled to make everyone I know buy my Christmas gifts solely from the LCS.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

If DC would start printing their floppies on newsprint and cut their price to $1.99, that would help quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X