View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #8158
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Sherlock Holmes: The Scarlet Claw (1944)

"I've fallen in another hole!"

Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and Watson (Nigel Bruce) are visiting Quebec, Canada, when news of a murder reaches them. They receive a letter from the deceased that she believed her life in danger and investigate, learning that a phantom is murdering people in a small village.

I discovered this on YouTube and was trying to watch it on my own, but since Netflix decided to be slow as fuck again, I took the opportunity to watch this with my dad, who admits he either has never seen it or it's been several decades.

I love the atmosphere in the film, this eerie little town that the studio creates just looks ominous and ripe for unearthly goings-on. The characters are a real treat, with Rathbone playing a razor-witted Holmes, Bruce playing the oafish-but-affable Watson, and the Postman (Gerald Hamer) being much like an early version of Marvel's Willie Lumkin from the Fantastic Four.

The plot and pacing of the film are solid, and the film is only a little over an hour long (free on YouTube, a quick and fun way to kill time). I'm going to have to check out the Voice of Fear film that was suggested sometime in the near future.