Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #3 Preview
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artist: Rafa Sandoval

0.00%
    0.00%
    50.00%
    33.33%
    16.67%

Ooooh ... Hal's about to do something awesome....

(I wondered why Venditti couldn't think of bigger things for Hal to do with that gauntlet, which was supposed to be so powerful, but it seems Hal's been doing even better without it)

Comment

Many have said how much they're enjoying this iteration of Venditti's GL run and this issue ratcheted things up to the next level. I just hope it's not all leadup, then finale with no middle act, as many of these "big stories" seem to.

Sandoval's art has been awesome! Hal's fight with the Sinestro Corps was like one cinematic (yes, I'm using that word on purpose) moment after another. There might not have been a ton going on, but as a Hal fan, it was great to see him let loose and take it to the bad guys in a way that he hasn't in awhile. There was an intensity to the fight that was never there during the whole "Renegade" storyline.

The buildup of the Sinestro Corps as fear spreads throughout the universe was a nice build up to Hal's defeat. And it wasn't just that Hal was overwhelmed by the yellow rings' power - Hal goes from taking down Sin Corps guys left and right and blowing them away and rescuing innocents to grasping at that boy and screaming, "I can save everyone!" If that language sounds familiar - a little reminiscent of Parallax, I think it's because it's supposed to. Hal was being affected by the *fear* that has been taking over the universe and that was what lead to his defeat, not just the additional numbers. I missed it the first time I read it, but I believe that's what Venditti is going for, and that's a pretty nice bit of writing.

And does anyone think it'd be funny if Guy just gets into one scrape after another, getting into his own random adventures without ever making his way into the main storyline? (well, maybe he'll show up for the finale)
      Kane2814
      Weaponer of Qward
      Last edited by Kane2814; 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

[Mods: we need a poll]

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
        Many have said how much they're enjoying this iteration of Venditti's GL run and this issue ratcheted things up to the next level. I just hope it's not all leadup, then finale with no middle act, as many of these "big stories" seem to...
        It was a good action-packed issue and I have to admit that even though it may be rehashed stuff, I'm curious about the Yellow Rings going over 100% and what the Fear Engine exactly is.

I liked Hal's bravado/swagger here.

Comment

I'll be disappointed if this Fear Engine and the Hell Tower (or whatever it is called in Green Lanterns) are the beginning of a trend of each colored group building some new structure to pump them up...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            I'll be disappointed if this Fear Engine and the Hell Tower (or whatever it is called in Green Lanterns) are the beginning of a trend of each colored group building some new structure to pump them up...
            We can't quit before the compassion app.

Comment

Love the issue. Hal feels like hal again. The art is amazing as well. 5/5

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                So what's next? The Hope Spring? Will Henge? The Love Shack??

Comment

Hahaha awesome

The Compassion Pit and Greed Vacuum are popping up in Larfleeze volume 2

Comment

Not super heavy plot wise but this issue had some great action! Can't wait to see Hal & Sinestro come face to face again and knowing EVS is drawing the next issue makes me even more excited. But that being said, Rafa's art continues to impress in this issue so I'm happy we have him on this series too.

Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

I think Sinestro has learned from Saint Walker how to make augment his Fear Central Power Battery. Or it's a derivative of having Parallax again.

But it looks like Hal Jordan is the new Guardian of the Universe. First he doffs his Gauntlet and makes his own power ring, then in Green Lanterns he merges two power batteries with little effort. Now he manages to take on 20+ Fear Lanterns until they all power up to 150+%.

Rules? What rules? We're trying to out-sell $%&# Marvel here!

Comment

Issue out. Poll up. Review here.

Comment

I bought it Wednesday and read it last night. I was pleasantly surprised! I was reading what felt like a Green Lantern comic again! Why hasn't DC been doing GL comics like this the last few years?!?!?

3 solid stars. If HJ&TGLC stays this good, I'll stay onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            I bought it Wednesday and read it last night. I was pleasantly surprised! I was reading what felt like a Green Lantern comic again! Why hasn't DC been doing GL comics like this the last few years?!?!?

3 solid stars. If HJ&TGLC stays this good, I'll stay onboard.
                            Glad you are hanging around. I look forward to your insights. I am enjoying this arc as well. I am curious to see if Vendetti can come up with clearly distinctive but equally compelling arcs and characterizations John and Guy. It was a feat that only Gerard Jones was able to pull off. I do love his Hal Jordan, and this arc so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                              I think Sinestro has learned from Saint Walker how to make augment his Fear Central Power Battery. Or it's a derivative of having Parallax again.

But it looks like Hal Jordan is the new Guardian of the Universe. First he doffs his Gauntlet and makes his own power ring, then in Green Lanterns he merges two power batteries with little effort. Now he manages to take on 20+ Fear Lanterns until they all power up to 150+%.

Rules? What rules? We're trying to out-sell $%&# Marvel here!

This has the possibility of some challenging new (exciting?) ground if the writing wants to go there.

It's like the little blue guardians are the ultimate control freaks, as least as far as anything dealing with the GLC is concerned.

What happens when you have a lantern who has been around or experienced enough that they cannot stay within their established bounds within the hierarchy?

If the GLC ever stabilizes to the point again where we have some blue guardians in charge of the corps, Hal Jordan is in a weird spot. He is waay, waaaaaay above being the "Lantern in charge of Sector 2814". The guy is right up there with Sinestro and Atrocitious as somebody who could run the their own lantern corps and demonstrate feats that in the long run, make it problematic if they don't want to stay in the role their given by higher-ups.

Of course, that was always Hal's issue with the GLC. He is the renegade who doesn't follow the rules. But that was before he started doing things on his own like making his own ring. Which frankly, makes him the batman of the universe in a way. Yeah, in fact in some ways, that is the evolution of Hal Jordan What do regular law enforcement *really* think of Batman? Are they glad he's there? Sure. But he's ultimately a vigilante who doesn't answer to the public - and thereby is not accountable.

You could make the argument that Hal is already there. Hell, that was what the whole stealing Krona's gauntlet was about.

Comment

Working...
                              X