Thoughts on Vendetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Vendetti

I've meant to post this for a while but I've never gotten around to it.

All this to say that I have mixed feelings about Vendetti's run on Green Lantern. Here are some thoughts in no particular order:

1) He abandoned the Geoff Johns' edict that only beings with incredible will could even get the ring to work, what with the Durlan Green Lantern imposters being able to operate the rings. They shouldn't have been able to get them to so much as light up.
    2) Having said that, in the very same issue (GL #31) I liked the bit about Hal "willing" the Durlans to death, as even to get the ring to protect them from the rigors of space was a function of their will.
    3) I've been bored by Vendetti's issues nonstop for months at a time.
    4) The dialogue with Sinestro in GL #36 was awesome, especially the part about Hal being too unpredictable for Sinestro and the only reason he kept beating his smarter and better scheming foe. I also liked how that issue reinforced Hal's renegade personality and in a single issue developed Hal's character far more than Johns did in the latter half of his GL run.
    5) Overall character development for Hal picked up recently by Vendetti, even though at the start of Vendetti's run it stalled miserably.
    6) The "rebel Hal with the power glove run" is intriguing and a breath of fresh air, which has, at least temporarily, killed my boredom with Vendetti's GL.
    7) I think the whole emotional reservoir is nothing more than a gimmick and really seems to serve no purpose as it gets forgotten for issues at a time and feels ripe for abandonment. What happens when the reservoir runs out? Beings across the universe stop having feelings? Silliness.
    8) The Durlan run was boring except for the origin of the Durlans, which was pretty interesting.
    9) The lights out run as boring except for the origin of Relic.
    10) Godhead was slightly better, but still didn't inspire me.
    11) I get the feeling that Vendetti didn't read enough back issues before taking on the GL assignment, because he seems to lack respect for continuity (see point 1 above)
    12) What's with the "power batteries have to be recharged from the central power battery" bit that was alluded to in GL #21 before being quickly abandoned?

So, yeah, all in all I have mixed feelings about Vendetti's GL run but things seem to have improved of late.

I think he's improved since he first started but I'd take back Geoff Johns in a heartbeat. Since he started, he has seemed too keen on making drastic changes to GL mythos. I get he's trying new things but I rather him not try so hard to change everything. Rouge Hal is an interesting concept but I much rather see him go on adventures as a Green Lantern. Not leading the corps or being a fugitive.
    Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Anybody who takes over a title and doesn't bother to read anything more than the previous writer's run will almost surely screw it up. I don't know whether laziness or egotism is the cause of that, but it's a big and widespread problem. Another thing is that when you write a long-established title, you need to work with a scalpel, not a machete. If you don't, then once again either conceit or indolence is your issue.

Comment

I've always learned towards writers who were a fan of a franchise long before they got it as an assignment. I think Vendetti is fine as a writer, just that maybe this wasn't the right book for him. And that GL should have had a different writer.

That said, I do think he has improved on GL and his stories have become more interesting. IMO pairing him up with a better artist would make a huge difference; it's hard for me to appreciate the writing that is happening when it's all I can do to not look away from the ugly artwork every panel.

Comment

GL in particular might be a book where this is even more important since it has such a large cast of characters and cosmic scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            GL in particular might be a book where this is even more important since it has such a large cast of characters and cosmic scope.
            That's where the thing of "It's all about Harold" becomes so debilitating. That and "Guy is all about anger" and "Kyle is oh-so special somehow but we just can't figure out how" and "We don't know what in the fuck to do with John."

Comment

At first I really didn't like Vendetti's writing, I thought he was basically trying to dump all over Johns previous run, and that he really wasn't a true GL fan (which he wasn't). However Vendetti has grown me on a little, with some of his recent issues, I think his concepts while a little clunkily executed, are fine in terms of ideas. Overall, I'd say he's alright, but yeah, a better artist definitely helps.
              Mister.Weirdo
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 07-21-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

^I've noticed that most of the complaints here have shifted away from the writing and to the art.

Comment

^I've noticed that most of the complaints here have shifted away from the writing and to the art.
                  Well Billy Tan's art was so unusually unappealing to me, that any other artist would satisfy, as long as they didn't draw the characters like stick-figures or something.

Comment

That's where I'm at right now. The stories are serviceable enough, but the art detracts from that. If Ivan Reis was drawing it, half of us would be fooled into thinking the writing was amazing. That's how important the art is in putting the stories over.

Comment

I don't think Billy Tan is a terrible artist, I actually think he does a great job drawing aliens, but he can't draw Hal Jordan for shit. Can I say shit here? Anyway and that's a big problem when the artist can't draw the lead character very well. I'm so excited we're getting Ethan Van Sciver back for an issue! I don't know what he's up to these days but I would love to see him come back to Green Lantern.

Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
                        I don't think Billy Tan is a terrible artist, I actually think he does a great job drawing aliens, but he can't draw Hal Jordan for shit. Can I say shit here? Anyway and that's a big problem when the artist can't draw the lead character very well. I'm so excited we're getting Ethan Van Sciver back for an issue! I don't know what he's up to these days but I would love to see him come back to Green Lantern.
                        Yeah, I think you're right. The action is conveyed well too.

And yes, people curse here. Basically, the only thing you're not supposed to post are nude pics, personal attacks, or direct links to pirated material. [FYI: I say this as a longtime member, not a mod.]

Comment

Hal "The Crow" Jordan...

Comment

I gave this 4 stars, but I'll admit it could be Stockholm syndrome. I think the main thing for me is Hal is finally the star of his own book again. It may also be Hal actually having a power set again. The green lantern rings have been so depowered, it's cool seeing the ' most powerful' weapon in the universe powerful again and can only be used by someone with extraordinary will power.

Comment

I like that the space suit has the Parallax design on the chest. If I am not mistaken isn't that helmet look a little Legion-ish? Ethan is a great artsit.

That being said Venditti is bad for Green Lantern. It's just that simple. I can't believe he is still on this book. Hey that's DC for you.
                              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                              X