This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
    I'm off from work today and spent time bagging/boarding old comics and filing them away in longboxes in my comic room. I got everything put away and spent time tidying up and reorganizing my 7 GL longboxes. I labelled the divider cards I was missing and fixed some filing mistakes I made the last few years. Feeling kind of melancholy about it right now.
    It can be a pain, but it really pays off for the collection. I'm betting you're glad now you took the time

Comment

Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
      It can be a pain, but it really pays off for the collection. I'm betting you're glad now you took the time
      It was worth doing. Just kind of sad looking through 7 longboxes of GL comics I acquired over 30+ years as I get ready to end my collecting habits. Knowing there are two GL titles that I won't be buying? When I have every issue from 1959 to today? Feels strange.

Comment

57 years of GL comics?

Damn Dave!!

Comment

It was worth doing. Just kind of sad looking through 7 longboxes of GL comics I acquired over 30+ years as I get ready to end my collecting habits. Knowing there are two GL titles that I won't be buying? When I have every issue from 1959 to today? Feels strange.
          Well, I liked (not loved) the Rebirth issue, but even if I didn't, it wouldn't bother me more than Winick's run. That was the lowest point in GL history for me and I got past it.

Comment

Interesting, didn't Winick write GL when Kyle had that Jim Lee designed costume?

I don't remember it being as bad as Vendetti's GL

Comment

A bad as Winick' run was (and the whole run wasn't bad, just most of it), I always felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel for me as a fan. That I would be rewarded for hanging on, which I eventually was with Rebirth in 2005. Now I just feel like DC itself has lost it's way, not one creative team.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up the Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps rebirth issue to give it a chance, but seeing they are keeping the same writer, I'm not expecting to be impressed with anything other than the art.

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                57 years of GL comics?

Damn Dave!!
                Yeah. I'm only missing a few variant covers from the last couple of years where I stopped giving a crap. I have every issue from Showcase #22 to today.

Comment

Fuck that's a lot of comics

Comment

Yeah. I'm only missing a few variant covers from the last couple of years where I stopped giving a crap. I have every issue from Showcase #22 to today.
                    The reality is, you haven't missed much since Blackest Night, so there's that.

Comment

A bad as Winick' run was (and the whole run wasn't bad, just most of it), I always felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel for me as a fan. . .
                      I didn't. I actually quit my subscription at that time (though it was also because I was in college and low on funds). Before vol. 3 ended I came back and spent a lot more money filling in all the missing issues. I decided I wouldn't quit again.

Comment

DC ENTERTAINMENT SIGNS MITCH GERADS!
                        BURBANK, Calif. (June 7, 2016) – DC Entertainment (DCE) continues to add top-notch talent to its creative roster, announcing today that it has reached an agreement with artist Mitch Gerads to create comic book content solely for its DC and Vertigo imprints. Gerads will continue his incredible work with writer Tom King (who has also made DCE his creative home) on Vertigo’s groundbreaking monthly series THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON. Drawing on King’s background and experiences as a CIA counterterrorism operations officer, this wartime crime drama takes readers deep into the underworld of the city of Baghdad during one of the most tumultuous times in modern history.

”As our talent roster continues to expand, it’s exciting to see that we’re stocking it with some of the best writers and artists in the industry today, and Mitch Gerads is no exception,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee. “His style is the perfect complement to Tom King’s gritty storytelling, and I can’t wait to see how Mitch tackles other Vertigo and DC projects in the future.”

The series explores Baghdad, 2003. Florida Police officer-turned-military contractor, Chris Henry is tasked with training a new Iraqi police force. When one of his trainees ends up dead, Chris is forced to team up with Nassir, the last remaining cop in Baghdad. Pulling the strings to bring them together is the mysterious Sofia, an American-educated Iraqi who has returned to take control of the city’s criminal underworld. This monthly miniseries will see its first story arc collected as a trade paperback in comic book stores on July 6 and everywhere books are sold on July 12.

“From the moment I began working with them, the Vertigo and DC teams have treated me like family, so teaming up with them was an easy and obvious decision for me,” explains Gerads. “I’m really looking forward to my future with the company,” and am incredibly proud of THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON; Tom and I are excited to work on a book that feels so important and Vertigo has given us a chance to really say something, and say it all. I’m right where I should be.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                          Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 Preview
                          Writer: Ben Percy
                          Artist: Otto Schmidt

This was my favorite out of all last weeks Rebirth issues, Percy's wordiness is still a big weakness when it comes to his writing but I felt like he absolutely nailed Ollie and and Dinah's chemistry and I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

On the art side of things Otto Schmidt was great, in fact he was so good that I expect DC to pull him off the book soon and put him on something else.

4.5/5

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                            This was my favorite out of all last weeks Rebirth issues, Percy's wordiness is still a big weakness when it comes to his writing but I felt like he absolutely nailed Ollie and and Dinah's chemistry and I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

On the art side of things Otto Schmidt was great, in fact he was so good that I expect DC to pull him off the book soon and put him on something else.

4.5/5

Damn! I hope not! I want Schmidt illustrating the adventures of a back-to-basics Ollie and Dinah for months to come! But yeah, sometimes I felt as though the words coming out of the mouths of the characters weren't /their/ words, y'know? Either way, a great first outing. Probably my favorite of the first week Rebirth batch.

Comment

^I liked it. I'm glad Dinah softened a bit. At first, She seemed too accusatory for a stranger who was clearly helping. By the end, though, it was a fun dynamic.

Comment

It's so nice to see that Action Comics and Detective Comics return to their original numbering at #957 and #934 respectively.
                                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Working...
                                X