Justice League: Darkseid War - Green Lantern #1 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three stars.

I'm not going to rehash all the comments above. Hal's characterization was good; I'll say that I didn't like the artwork because it suffered bipolar disorder, sometime good, sometimes cartoonish. The concept of a Mother Box merging with the Central Power Battery and then becoming a Mother Ring was something we should leave for a future alternate Earth story. New God Hal vs Parallax, anyone? But of course with the ultimate machine comes the ultimate deus ex machina.

This issue was like a Marvel Infinity Gauntlet What If? A nice solo, but don't read too much into it. I found all the "flashbacks" between Young Hal and NG Hal to be inadvertent to the story.

Comment

omg i just realized this issue show us once again just how great Kyle is, think about it the 1st time Hal becomes a god he goes crazy right off the bat this time he give it up after 5 minutes cause he fears going crazy again. Kyle on the other hand became a god for a week but gives it up cause S-man was all jealous and sh!t (plus it was the only way to restart the Corps), then he became a god once again for a year this time til Sin. pulled it out of him, then he became a Super-Lantern (for like 5 minutes) but had to give it up cause the power was too much for him, now he's got the power of a god but he's still only human (til DC took that power away from him for some reason )

btw my new WP

Originally posted by Hypo View Post

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
        omg i just realized this issue show us once again just how great Kyle is, think about it the 1st time Hal becomes a god he goes crazy right off the bat this time he give it up after 5 minutes cause he fears going crazy again. Kyle on the other hand became a god for a week but gives it up cause S-man was all jealous and sh!t (plus it was the only way to restart the Corps), then he became a god once again for a year this time til Sin. pulled it out of him, then he became a Super-Lantern (for like 5 minutes) but had to give it up cause the power was too much for him, now he's got the power of a god but he's still only human (til DC took that power away from him for some reason)
        Are you sure you read it? He didn't go crazy at all. He just didn't want to stay a god. So he did everything he needed to do and gave it up. He wasn't having a breakdown or anything. He just decided it would mess with his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants mojo and calmly (even rationally--going over the options with his ring) undid it.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

got to read between the lines SC

IonFan says

Comment

:Moderator:

got to read between the lines SC
            There's nothing between the lines to read...
            sigpic
            Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
              There's nothing between the lines to read...
              right.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I remember Hal celebrating Hanukkah in the cartoon, but besides that, what are all these clues that Hal's dad was Jewish? I'm usually pretty quick to spot even minor details about a character's religious background (side effect of having been a theology grad student) and I don't recall them in the comic.

Oh, and way to go ComicVine in misspelling "Protestant." Such an obscure, new word.

EDIT: Actually, the comic says the opposite: mom Jewish, dad Catholic.
                He didn't misspell it. He's a Protistan, a worshipper of protists.

*insert crappy biology rimshot here*

Comment

got a question, when did OA come back? after re-reading this issue (and i can't believe i didn't see it before) but Hal was fighting on OA and not MoGo the new home of the GLC cause the old one blew up sometime ago

or is this one of DC's new "We have no continuity what-so-ever anymore" thing?

IonFan says

Comment

or is this one of DC's new "We have no continuity what-so-ever anymore" thing?
                    Pretty much that.

Comment

I picked up my book tonight and hadn't been there in three weeks. They didn't have this issue for me or Omega Men #6. But hell, I haven't read anything from the annual #4 onward so I'm not in a big hurry. I pulled my growing stack out of my nightstand drawer to make an effort to get caught up, but this Star Wars Battlefront with my son are hard to pull away from.

Comment

Can Tom King be the new Green Lantern writer please???? This issue was great! Best Hal Jordan story I've read in years. Tom King gets Hal Jordan's characterization perfectly! A lot better than Venditti does anyway. And I wouldn't mind seeing Doc Shaner on GL too. His art has an old school look to it and I think it looks good with the GL universe.

5 stars from me
                        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                          I picked up my book tonight and hadn't been there in three weeks. They didn't have this issue for me or Omega Men #6. But hell, I haven't read anything from the annual #4 onward so I'm not in a big hurry. I pulled my growing stack out of my nightstand drawer to make an effort to get caught up, but this Star Wars Battlefront with my son are hard to pull away from.
                          Now this I don't get. I get your collector's completism, but I don't know how you can insist you have to have a comic and then put it aside for weeks or months. I feel weird if I'm one day late to the discussion on the new GL issues here. Makes me kind of tense, like the guys here know something about GL I don't.

Comment

I've been going through a comic slump for a while now. I sometimes have to force myself to read them to get through the pile. It's been a lack of interest. The comics aren't as good and I find I really don't think about comics that much anymore. I'm buying them to try to maintain the routine, but I've been seriously considering walking away from the hobby for a few years now. I stay here because I like chatting with you guys and I'm very much still enjoying books, movies and tv shows so there's always something to talk about.

I feel like I need something really good to come out to renew my interest in the medium, because right now I'm at an all time low in my 30+ years of comic reading for being engaged in what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                              I've been going through a comic slump for a while now. I sometimes have to force myself to read them to get through the pile. It's been a lack of interest. The comics aren't as good and I find I really don't think about comics that much anymore. I'm buying them to try to maintain the routine, but I've been seriously considering walking away from the hobby for a few years now. I stay here because I like chatting with you guys and I'm very much still enjoying books, movies and tv shows so there's always something to talk about.

I feel like I need something really good to come out to renew my interest in the medium, because right now I'm at an all time low in my 30+ years of comic reading for being engaged in what's going on.
                              You're not alone, Big Daddy Dave Skywalker. I talk regularly with my LCS owner, and the DCNew52 was a big money-maker for him. Lots of new readers came in. Young women loved the way Guy Gardner was portrayed as the "angry" GL.

I'm not hearing the same numbers here with the DC52You reboot. Golden Age, Silver Age, Copper Age, Iron Age - what's after Iron? That's where we've fallen to.

But hang in there, I've just learned to pick-and-choose among the leftover titles. Right now Sinestro is the best Lantern comic out there.

Comment

When can we get the action figure? lol

Minus some of the continuity flubs, it was written really well. I agree this creative team would be better than the one we got.

Comment

Working...
                                X