Best Artwork of All Volumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
    Jim Lee is a hall of famer for sure, but sometimes art cannot save a bad story. Sometimes. But Lee has certainly elevated some mediocre tales.
    This is OT, but Lee's Harley variant for JL was my favorite cover for that month. I put in in my display case (I rotate out favorite or topical covers). He still has it as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      This is OT, but Lee's Harley variant for JL was my favorite cover for that month. I put in in my display case (I rotate out favorite or topical covers). He still has it as far as I'm concerned.
      That variant was killer. So is Lee, imo. But Batman "Hush" really didn't make it for me storywise, despite perhaps the hottest Catwoman and Ivy ever (not a fan of Halle Berry).

Comment

As much of a GL fan as I am, I'm realizing how much I disliked most of the regular artists, pre "Nu52". I thought it was all so mediocre. Stanton and Bright in paricular just really didn't do it for me. (and yes, Gibbon too) The "Tales of the GLC" had more interesting art most of the time (and yes, Gibbon too with Hollika Rahn)

I was so happy that Hal came back under the hands of EVS, Pacheco, Reis and Mahnke.. Tan sucked, but things are looking up now so...

Comment

Not sure why I didn't have Reis on my list. I have a poster from his Secret Files cover.

My three other GL posters (all in the hall to my den) are from Lee (Kyle) and Ross (Alan and Hal)

Comment

Ivan Reis is extremely good. There's no denying that. He's a strong contender for best Green Lantern artist of all time...

BUT I think the single best Green Lantern artist is Neal Adams. He was so influential that he essentially changed the way comics were drawn. And beyond that his stuff just consistently looks really good.

After him... Hmm...

I don't know. It actually may be Ivan Reis.

Green Lantern, to me, has a long history of having really good solid artists who do a great job that you can't complain about, yet somehow lack that extra "something" that puts them clearly over their peers and takes them over the top. Guys like Mark Bright, Doug Mahnke, Daryl Banks, and Paul Pelletier are all really good, but somehow I guess they lack something in their vision or style that puts them on the level of Neal Adams. I think Ivan Reis does, too, but he's probably the best really, really, REALLY solid guy that you can't complain about. I mean, he does amazing stuff, too, but some people like McFarlane, Adams, and, interestingly Kirby just have something extra in their imaginations that puts them a level above their peers. I actually think Liefeld does, too, which is where his popularity came from. He has something. His art was waaaay different for the time, and it was attention grabbing. He just lacked some technical skills that would allow him to manifest his imagination better. There are artists who have more technical ability, but way less of an interesting and distinct imagination. I always see being imaginative as better, because technical skills... you can just learn that. Some people are just innately imaginative and have different ways of portraying things and that's a tougher thing to learn, I think.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-27-2018, 08:55 PM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
            X