X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOVED the ending to the movie Life.

Comment

• King Cobra (1999)

My dad and I watched the end of this once we finished The Nice Guys, because I jokingly asked if he was going to see what was on Comet and he actually turned to that channel.

I remember seeing the same last part of this years ago, back when it was fairly new. It's exactly the kind of lousy effort that you expect, mediocre effects and awful writing in abundance. Scientists engineer a hybrid between an Asian king cobra and an eastern diamondback rattlesnake and this enormous monster (thing is easily fifty feet long, head as big as a suitcase) escapes and starts ravaging the local area.

During the last part, you've got a group of hunters chasing down the snake, and they predictably split up and one finds the seemingly-dead monster. Of course it's faking and kills him, and then proceeds to off two more. It does this by using the power of bad writing: "Let's spread out, twenty feet apart, but when the snake attacks, we need to be at least a quarter-mile from each other so the viewers get scared!"

I have to say that one hunter looks like Chumley from Pawn Stars.

Snake Expert Doctor is Mr. Goddamn Miyagi from The Karate Kid. He bungles the chance to actually kill the snake by knocking aside the scientist's clear shot ("That's not the plan! We're supposed to wrangle him into the tube and gas him to death, not shoot him!"), and the proceeds to fail to use his pole-hooks and gets bitten a lot.

The woman is useless. She has a double holster and a handgun, shoots at the snake a bunch, but then when it gets close to her she becomes unable to even aim at it. Note that she doesn't drop her firearm. Of course, she does this so her romantic interest can LITERALLY do a flying double-kick to the snake.

Romeo races into the tube, snake goes in, girly has trouble opening the other end and barely saves boy-toy. Blatantly-stolen Jurassic Park velociraptor sounds as the snake is caged.

"Oh noes, the other end is open and it'll take too long to run the twenty feet to close it! We need to spend thirty seconds to push the tube against a tree, hold it there with no difficulty, and turn on the gas!"

Roll the predictably-bad happy ending and wait, no, they forgot to use poison gas and instead used sleeping gas. Because sequel-that-will-never-happen.

The beer industry must be funding the creation of these films, because watching this makes me want to learn to like booze so I can drink away the agony.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• ^ LOL sounds like my kind of movie. I would watch it just for laffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I very much liked Untold because it humanized the character to a level I never saw before. Gave it that whole "plight of the monster" feeling.
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          I felt Dracula Untold was much better than it gets credit for. It was passable and had an interesting hook.
          Watched it last night. Yeah, it was fine for what it was and I might pick it up some day if I find it on discount. As long as you don't try to take it as traditional Dracula or even horror for that matter (I'd call it something more like fantasy action) it's fine. I've seen much worse.

I liked that there was a Renfield-type character even in the 15th century. The bat-travel fx were good.

The origin of the vampire felt like Anne Rice---in the VC books, the first vampires were also created by demonic possession.

Charles Dance was good as the more Nosferatu-like older vamp. One thing that didn't make sense [SPOILERS:] why was the first vampire still around five centuries later when the whole point was to release him?

Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 03-23-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• I watched the same King Cobra movie that AP saw just because I wanted to see it again for nostalgia's sake. I picked up on the velociraptor sound effect very early on. Pretty much every time it bit someone, you heard it, although commotion sounds often masked it.

But the showdown with Pat Morita though! I had completely forgotten about that. Dude was taking a pounding! And not in the "Please, Big Daddy Dave, give me another, sir!" way! Lol

I also read up on the flick at wiki. Seems there was a race between this and Annaconda to be the first big snake movie, and we all know how that went.

It was a good time killer, though. I feel a mighty need to brush up on all the sci-fi big animal movies like dinoforce vs. Sharkosaurus and all that.
            Jeff
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Jeff; 03-29-2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• So, I know this is more TV, but I don't read that thread and it's more related to this topic.

I broke my normal habit of not watching new, ongoing shows and watched season one of Ash vs. Evil Dead. I can watch all of season 2 so far on Instant Netflix (which I'll probably start today). Hopefully they don't screw me after that (like they did with Lucha Underground) and stop it because I don't even have cable.

Anyway, I really like the show; more than I expected. I was all ready to hate it over the little things (like not working at S-Mart), but the tone is just right and the story actually engaging. Looking forward to season 2, which I heard will confirm the events of Army of Darkness (s1 alluded to his past being a weird mish mash of Evil Dead 1 and 2). It even gave me the urge to re-watch the Raimi trilogy (2/3 done).

I was really surprised [half spoiler] they killed the one character they did, but that's good. Not many survive the ED movies either.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• "Alien Frog" sculpture by Li Changchung, 2018

Comment

• I'm so glad you are liking Ash Vs Evil Dead SC. It's goofy and fun and hammy as all hell. I thought it might have the right mix of all that and horror that you might be into it but wasn't sure.

I'm curious to read your reaction to season 2 and specifically the season 2 finale.

The ratings on the show have dropped to the point that season 3 may very well be the last season. A real shame if you ask me. I love it. It's the only reason I subscribe to Starz so if this is the end I'm dropping the Starz network from my cable plan when the show ends.

Comment

• ^At least a benefit if that did happen would be that it could end strong instead of petering out. Plus, it would be really easy for me to catch up.

Comment

• Split Second (1992)

"I couldn't get a permit."

A burnt-out, hard-boiled detective (Rutger Hauer) is targeted by a returning serial killer with a gruesome habit of ripping out victims' hearts. Paired with a new partner (Neil Duncan), they have to rescue Michelle (Kim Cattrall) before the killer complete a horrifying master goal.

I remember seeing this ages ago as a kid, so it's like seeing it for the first time again after so long. Of course, I only know about it because Space Cop did his usual of digging up my ancient childhood memories and watching them while sipping a 45-gallon pina colada.

The film is a lot better than I remember. Made (or at least, released) in the early '90s, it has the feel of an '80s thriller. You've got Rutger playing every tough cop with a grudge, you've got Duncan as The Ultimate Partner. You've got Kim Goddamn Cattrall as The Love Interest (she actually is very attractive in this). Hell, you've even got Alun Armstrong and Pete Postlethwaite for good measure!

And of course, you have a villain that's basically a Riddler-fied version of the fucking Xenomorph from fucking Alien.

Okay, yeah, it comes across a little cliche, but holy shit once they piece the plot together at the end, I have to admit it's absolutely genius. Film is suddenly making it clear it was always more than just a dark buddy cop schlock-fest.

Oh, and the first victim (Tina Smith, I think) is literally Marilyn Monroe reborn. (Personally, I found the Nightclub Stripper, Tina Shaw, to be way more arousing).

"The Shend" plays a precinct policeman. I have no idea what the fuck that means but it's in the film.

Overall a fun flick. Gonna have to see if I can hunt it down for cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                        Split Second (1992)... I only know about it because Space Cop did his usual of digging up my ancient childhood memories and watching them while sipping a 45-gallon pina colada.
                        Nah, I hate coconuts. Back in the drinking days, it would've been more likely a margarita and even more likely Scotch.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                        ...The film is a lot better than I remember. Made (or at least, released) in the early '90s, it has the feel of an '80s thriller.
                        It's definitely worth a watch and it's a shame that it seems to be pretty forgotten. I'm glad you gave it a re-watch.
                        Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                        ...Okay, yeah, it comes across a little cliche, but holy shit once they piece the plot together at the end, I have to admit it's absolutely genius. . .
                        Yeah, what was the origin exactly? You can use spoiler warnings if you want. [SPOILERS] I think I phased out and felt like they didn't fully explain it. It was genetically engineered to be a perfect killer and somehow absorbed his old partner? Is that right? Did they explain it fuller than that? I thought about re-watching that portion of the movie, but I figure it's not that important. Rutger being Rutger is the important part.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 04-10-2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Actually, I don't think they explained it at all. It's just some kind of horrific monstrosity that's incredibly intelligent and damn-near unkillable, using an archaic ritual to bring about some unknown evil. I don't think it was man-made, because Rutger has that sixth sense and he wasn't "tampered" with.

Yeah, it absorbed the DNA of its victims, but it just added theirs to its own.

Other than the plot reveal when they're leaving the precinct and Duncan is unraveling all the big points, there is no clear answer. But given the occult focus, I'm guessing it's some kind of demon.

Comment

• ^Yeah, they call it a or the devil several times. Cool. It doesn't sound like I particularly missed any important clues.

Comment

• + YouTube Video
                              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YES

It's about damn time. I've only been waiting 20 years for this.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDCWRdS1olw

Comment

Working...
                                X