Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Stan Lee

Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' Real-Life Superhero, Dies at 95

I'm in a Japanese lesson, and I have to hold back the tears.

Comment

I don't have the words. Not right now.

Comment

After the week I had... damn. Lost one of my best friends growing up this weekend and now this.

Comment

This should go in the memorial thread, although Lee is big enough to warrant his own thread.

Anyway this is shocking news to come home to after a walk. Lee was a giant, and a real great personality. Sure he wasn't the sole creator of his work, but he left his stamp on comics and pop culture in general, and for that I thank him. It's such a shame he had to leave the world in such a terrible shape, though. RIP true believers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
            This should go in the memorial thread, although Lee is big enough to warrant his own thread.
            You should copy the link to this very thread and paste it into the memorial thread.

As for Stan...

I'm working in the comic book store I own. Every single item I sell was somehow influenced by the work Stan did.
            Even with Kirby and Ditko and Everett, without Stan, Marvel comics wouldn't be around. DC Comics would be drastically different, or not around at all. Without Marvel, there wouldn't be Image Comics. And without the big three, there wouldn't be a market for independent comic books.
            Without those comics, there wouldn't be t-shirts, or statues, or action figures, or Funko Pops.
            Without Stan, I would have to work a soulless, thankless job somewhere else, trying to make ends meet.
            But because there was a Stan Lee, my life is actually kinda great right now.
            You really were, and will always be, the Man.

Comment

I never met Stan Lee and never knew him, but I feel like I knew him my whole life. He affected my life in so many ways over the last 40 years. And all of them were postive.

His creations sculpted my reading habits, kept me out of trouble, offered me time spent constructively, and reinforced my sense of right and wrong. He gave me escapism that I will forever be thankful for.

Comment

R.I.P. to a true legend.

...Anyway this is shocking news to come home to after a walk. . .
                Well, 95 is pretty darn old and he's been in bad shape for a long time. To live that long, battle illness that long, and leave that legacy is pretty cool.

...Lee was a giant, and a real great personality. Sure he wasn't the sole creator of his work, but he left his stamp on comics and pop culture in general, and for that I thank him. It's such a shame he had to leave the world in such a terrible shape, though. RIP true believers!

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                ...Even with Kirby and Ditko and Everett, without Stan, Marvel comics wouldn't be around. DC Comics would be drastically different, or not around at all. Without Marvel, there wouldn't be Image Comics. And without the big three, there wouldn't be a market for independent comic books...

Agreed. Yeah, Kirby, Ditko et al have often been undervalued, but it seemed more of a corporate convenience than any real intention on Lee's part to hog the glory. He seemed to mention the guys pretty frequently. And even if he did overstate his part, his part is so big that it literally changed the industry.

I'm not a Marvel fan anymore and even when I was, it was secondary to DC for me, but I still can't deny his impact even there. Without the Marvel revolution (1) comics might have died; (2) Julie, Denny, et al probably would have never refocused GL and the rest to be more relevant.

Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 11-13-2018, 12:05 AM.

Comment

It was the last hour or so at work, one of the servers comes up to me and says another server told her Lee died. She said her own reaction was to tell the other woman to get out, literally leave her presence, she was so shocked.

On the way home, a Baltimore station was talking about him passing. They played two interview clips of him talking about his favorite character (Spider-Man) and his crowning moment (when his boss, who hated the Spidey idea and let him put the nail in Amazing Fantasy's coffin with a terrible story, told him the sales figures and said the company wanted to make him a regular series).

Growing up, watching FOX Kids on Saturday mornings and UPN 57 before catching the bus in the morning for school, I would absorb X-Men and Spider-Man on Saturdays and Fantastic Four and Iron Man on weekdays. X-Men were always my favorite, still are, but Spidey was a huge part of my life and always will be.

Catching a couple pics on Reddit, I think these belong here:

(Lee in the current Spider-Man video game)

Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

I was fortunate enough to meet him twice (since I attend so many comic conventions) and get a couple of things signed. We all knew this day was coming eventually, but none of us were ready for it. This is a tough day in comics. RIP, Stan... Excelsior!

Comment

So, my personal tribute was to pull about half a dozen of his comics to re-read.* I started with a reprint of Fantastic Four #1.

I also watched for the first time Thor: Ragnarok. I only picked that one because it was the one Marvel movie I haven't seen that I have access to (through Instant Netflix). As it turned out, it was a nice choice since three major Lee creations are prominent (Thor, Hulk, and Dr. Strange).

*This was a bit of a hassle since I keep Marvel and trade boxes in the hardest-to-reach places (I don't have to file things in them very often like the others) and apparently they can get a bit dusty even in the boxes when they're on the top shelf.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-13-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

RIP to a really great man, Mr. Lee sir you will be missed you will be remembered BUT you will never be forgotten

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

As a fan of both Marvel and DC Comics, I've been dreading this day for many years. This is a huge loss in the comic book industry, entertainment, and pop culture. He lived a long life and although I only knew him through the Marvel characters he co-created, his writing in comic books, and cameos in Marvel superhero movies, I'll still miss him. Now he's at peace and reunited with his wife, Joan Lee, and friends: Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Bob Kane, and many others he's lost during his 95 years on this earth. May Stanley Martin Leiber rest in peace and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. I hope he shouted "Excelsior!" when God let him through the gates of Heaven. The legacy he left behind will live on forever.

Comment

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet Stan Lee 2.5 have times. I say 2.5 instead of 3 because it was at the same event where there were two separate sessions to meet Stan; one for an autograph and another for the photo op.

Anyway, my first introduction with Stan Lee came through the old Marvel cartoons where he welcomed the viewers and call them "true believers." I remember his voice being very distinct, passionate and welcoming. At the time, I had know idea who Stan Lee was or his importance to Marvel Comics. It was years later when I actually started reading comic books that I discovered role Stan played with Marvel.

I recall a story of Stan Lee talking about Bob Cane, the creator of Batman, and how since the release of the 89 Batman film, Cane would rub Stan's face in it. Some to the effect that Batman rules, Spider-Man sucks. Now, when Stan and Cane meet again, Stan will have something for Cane.

And speaking of which, after watching "Avengers: Infinity War" I posted to be my Facebook account that I was so happy that film happened and it was a smash hit at the box office because it was a validation of my love and loyalty to comic books despite it being ridiculed and mocked for likely such things in my own house by my older sister. And of course, back in my day, comic books weren't in fashion as they are now. Luckily, I had a group of friends, Sylent being one of them, that shared the same interest in comic books so I never really felt out of place. Anyway, my point is, that Stan Lee's Marvel characters are the biggest thing in the movie industry right now and thus have become pop culture icons and household names. And I'm so happy for that because not only did those MCU movies reaffirm and validate comic readers the love of those characters, but also help the rest of the world become "true believers" in the world Stan Lee created as well.

Additionally, through his "Soap Box," Stan Lee provided some of the best and still poignant commentary on the ills of society. This following editorial is still meaningful today as when it was written decades ago.

And of course, Stan Lee pretty much wrote the super hero credo of "with great power, must come great responsibility."

RIP Stan Lee

Thank you for everything, as to this day your characters and stories make kids of us all.

Darth_Primus
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Darth_Primus; 11-13-2018, 06:32 PM.
                            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X