Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would be fine with paying the expensive prices of today if the quality matched, but it doesn't. When I was a kid in the 80s, the bar kept rising as writers were bringing better and better stories to the party. By the mid 90s the bar was abandoned. Where are the Alan Moores and Neil Gaimans of today? Not in the comic industry that's for sure.

Not only that I think after 2011 the quality of the overall product has severly taken several steps back. If comics were $1.00 a piece it would be no big deal, but I just lost interest over time of paying 4 dollars for crap.

Comment

• I just think the whole business model needs to be reevaluated. Rather than tying a bunch of comics together through crossover events to sell more comics based on a gimmick or story point, the comics could merely be cheaper and easier to attain without making a special trip.

Tell me right now if there was a Swamp Thing comic on a magazine rack at your local grocery story or gas station [along with say Doom Patrol since BOTH are getting live action series] for less than $2 each it wouldn't peak your interest.

It would all just come down to what kinda books DC would be willing to put out there. What would they want to promote that isn't the same old Superman, Batman, JL, or Titans stuff? I think a key factor would be whatever live action or animated stuff they had in the works. Like I mentioned before, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Stargirl, Titans, Shazam, and Wonder Woman, as well as Young Justice are all getting new streaming shows and/or movies. There should be new material for all of those concepts, and it shouldn't take a customer already being interested in the characters enough to go out of their way to a specific comic shop to pay $4 a pop for a comic. The comics should just be a bit cheaper and easier to find.

If the comics kept catching your eye at grocery stores and gas stations sooner than later the blooming fan would take a look.

Comment

• An interesting quote in one of the comments. It's what I've been saying for a long time, as pretty much a voice in the wilderness:

"The periodical format no longer has the bang for its buck that it once did. Decompressed and cinematic storytelling have ruined the format. Don't misunderstand me: I love the (mostly) beautiful artwork that graces two-page spreads, but there is something wrong when it takes six issues to tell a two-issue story just to meet the demands of the inevitable trade collection."

They need to go to a six-panel grid and limit the stories to four issues. You can tell plenty of story in that many panels, about equal to a one-hour television show. And if someone gets a solid idea for a two-hour story, then tell it in eight issues.

Also, print the floppies on newsprint and cut the prices as much as this will allow.

Those are the two most effective changes in format and price that they could make.

Comment

• So less than a year of Mad is what they axed Bongo for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
            So less than a year of Mad is what they axed Bongo for?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssiLkxTTrzc

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
              Was she having a stroke on live television?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                Was she having a stroke on live television?
                Apparently, it was a "complex migraine," but the symptoms present similar to a stroke.

You can tell she was panicked and knew it wasn't coming out right, which is what she said later.

Comment

• Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Green Arrow #50 Variant by Doc Shaner

Young Justice #3 Variant by Doc Shaner

Comment

• While we're at it: Batman by Doc Shaner

Comment

• My lord... Shaner's art is SO pleasant to look at. It litterally PLEASES me to gaze upon his artwork. He even makes a post DCU Green Arrow look good.

Comment

• Justice League #19 Variant by Rob Liefeld

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                            My lord... Shaner's art is SO pleasant to look at. It litterally PLEASES me to gaze uoon his artwork. He even makes a post DCU Green Arrow look good.
                            Agreed. Whereas Liefeld still can't draw feet and forgets minor details that throw off every character he touches. Batman's gloves don't have the spikes, Superman's belt lacks the red straps, but for once it looks like a female drawn by Rob.... HAS A SPINE!

Superman and John Stewart are also horribly in the same pose.

I honestly don't even credit the man for creating Deadpool. He created the basis, but it wasn't until Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness got the character back in the mid-90's we got the character everybody knows and loves today.

Comment

• I never get tired of mocking Liefeld!

Comment

Working...
                              X