Green Lantern #50 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This issue was kind of a let down.
    I liked some parts of it, but overall was disappointed.
    Not really sure why they would throw that twist in at the end when there are only two issues left, but it was kinda interesting.

I am almost praying that there is a new team on this book for Rebirth, it's just not a very exciting or dramatic book anymore imho.

Comment

If the new 52 is to survive and it appears that it is, then I am glad that Parallax is a part of it, so for that I am grateful, however Green Lantern desperately needs a new creative team. Ideas that in the past would have made my mind explode with excitement, a New Gods vs Green Lantern war, Parallax Hal vs Green Lantern Hal, have left me just feeling...meh. With the correct writer this title could once again soar. Vendetti's big concepts weren't bad but his execution was lacking. No real character development for Hal or any costar or villain. No real character driven storylines. Relic and Black Hand have been present often during the run and I haven't been made to care for either. As for the art, I was never a Tan hater liked his X-Men stuff but it doesn't appear that Green Lantern is for him. DC needs to make an effort to fortify it's franchises (except Batman that needs no fortification) and making them profitable instead of using their top tier art talents to keep books they wish to survive over the cancellation threshold.
      EmeraldGladiator
      Manhunter Repairman
      Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 03-03-2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The art on faces in this was horribly inconsistent. Sometimes the faces looked horrible, but even when they were decent, they still weren't consistent from panel to panel. It isn't a good sign when you have to use the dialogue and the characters' clothing as cues to know who you are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
          You sure? I thought it was.
          No, in the beginning they said it had been, but then they decided it hadn't been destroyed but yet Hal still became Parallax anyway. Dumb and Dumber.
          "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
          Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
          Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
          who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
          to change the world. This time, Lord...
          Let me be worthy."

Comment

For the build up and the 'double' size issue -- it missed the mark. Pretty average overall, and that should not be the vibe when Parallax meets Renegade, two overpowered versions of Hal.

It had a chance to really explore Hal's turn to the dark side, it didn't. it showed old Hal's love of CC, but nothing close to how well Ron Marz covered his original fall (however controversial it was) with greater depth.

It had a chance to show an amazing pitched battle between the two, it didn't. A couple fun panels, but for the most part, it was a missed opportunity in a format that allows for giant, crazy battle scenes.

It had a chance to move this existing mental tug of war for the character forward, and it didn't.

A really blah story, especially based on the build and the time leading to the supposed showdown. Parallax at that power level can move time and space, and he spent too much time monologue-ing.

As to whether CC was destroyed in New 52, I think it was covered a few times that it was. In essence, Geoff Johns ignored ANY GL reset for New 52, he simply kept the same outline he had and wrote the same stories he planned from the previous volume.

Venditti went with the reset - thus the 'first' time Hal saw the New Gods, they were Nu52 brand New Gods. And with Rebirth, Multiversity and Convergence, all of the old continuity counts, plus whatever they decide to keep from New 52 -- which hopefully isn't much.

At this point, New 52 era cannot close fast enough for me. A bigger, broader DCU open to some actual new stories on top of the existing pile of continuity is fine by me. This reset did not work in any way. Batman did because of the creative team, JL did as well, but the rest was a mushy mess of 'hey, our characters are a wee bit younger, and less powerful and more accessible' attempt to reboot something that didn't need it.

How we get glow in the dark Hal back to normal in two months? I am not all that excited to find out...

-Don
            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

No, originally it was considered destroyed but we were told, I think by Didio, that it was never destroyed afterwards. Johns did get to continue on with the story telling without having to explain anything new, but something came out after the New 52 was established that indicated they (DC) no longer considered Coast City to have been destroyed, but Hal still became Parallax. It was like in the beginning when they told us all the other major events in DC history happened, but then they walked that back. All the confusion simply comes from the fact DC never really thought out the New 52 reboot before jumping into it, then had to make it up as they went along.
              Spectremjm
              Corps Honor Guard
              Last edited by Spectremjm; 03-05-2016, 01:25 AM.
              "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
              Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
              Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
              who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
              to change the world. This time, Lord...
              Let me be worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                Ideas that in the past would have made my mind explode with excitement, a New Gods vs Green Lantern war, Parallax Hal vs Green Lantern Hal, have left me just feeling...meh.
                Yes - exactly! How was this a fight between a man with the power of "a dozen" power rings vs. a man with the power of the ENTIRE GLC! At least when Kyle fought Parallax, they destroyed an entire world - that's a battle with an epic scope at least! Nothing about it came across any different from any fight between ring-wielders, let alone something as deeply personal as this should have been. Just disappointing....

Comment

I haven't really been a fan of Venditti's run thus far though I was honestly looking forward to this issue but it totally dropped the ball. Wasn't expecting much out of Tan's art anyway but just having Coccolo back for this issue would of made it somewhat more enjoyable. But the fight itself had such a unsatisfying resolution. There's no way Hal would just let Parallax get away like that and travel the universe. Curious to see what happens with green Hal but we have only two issues left to turn him back to a normal GL for his upcoming Rebrith book.
                  Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

The art was terrible and so was the writing. Why even use the original Parallax if you're just going to shoehorn that retcon space bug onto him?

Give 'em the evil look son!

Comment

Originally posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
                      The art was terrible and so was the writing. Why even use the original Parallax if you're just going to shoehorn that retcon space bug onto him?
                      The space-bug stuff is the official version of what happened now. It predates Flashpoint. They're not going to ignore that.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        The space-bug stuff is the official version of what happened now. It predates Flashpoint. They're not going to ignore that.
                        Here's the thing. The space bug is with Sinestro, right? So how can a Hal from a different universe based on the 90s have the space bug too? I'm guessing they brought that verison back due to nostalgia or whatever so why apply the retcon to that version? That was one of the things I didn't get about Convergence.

Give 'em the evil look son!

Comment

Presumably he has the "space bug" from a different universe. I'm not seeing how it is all that surprising. I would have been MORE surprised if they had chosen to have him just be nutty Hal, especially given how screwed-up they portrayed him as.

Comment

i don't get how it's hard to understand

Comment

Working...
                            X