X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Dead (1990)

"Residents of glass structures ought not hurl projectiles."

Good stuff. You don't know what's reality for most of the movie. Concepts I thought were original to other movies (like Memento, Lost Highway [also starring Pullman], and Sublime) were here first.

Comment

Wreck it Ralph

Comment

Django Unchained - Fun movie. Some scenes were hard to take and there was A LOT of the N word being thrown around, but most if not all usage seemed justified. I don't think any performance deserves Academy recognition but everybody did a great job. Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio especially. Leo is one of the best actors ever when he's got a great script and this was great performance.

Hyde Park on Hudson - Learned a lot about FDR. Too much. It dragged and often seemed like it didn't know who's story they were supposed to be telling. But for a short(1hr30min) limited release film I can't be too harsh, my expectation level wasn't very high. Poor Bill Murray though, he was completely forgettable performance wise. Guess that's what happens when you're too damn picky with your movies...though Moonrise Kingdom was quite good.

Comment

The Loved Ones. One of the best horrors I ever did saw.
          Originally posted by IonFan
          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
          Originally posted by Quaker
          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)

Jodie Foster plays a 13-year-old who decides to cover up her parents' death in order live alone but has to contend with an uppity and inquisitive land lady and her pedophile son.

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
              Django Unchained - Fun movie. Some scenes were hard to take and there was A LOT of the N word being thrown around, but most if not all usage seemed justified. I don't think any performance deserves Academy recognition but everybody did a great job. Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio especially. Leo is one of the best actors ever when he's got a great script and this was great performance.

Good to hear, I'll be seeing this tomorrow...

Comment

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were a couple of lingering problems which I think kept the movie from greatness, and from being one of Tarantino's best. First, while I thought Jamie Foxx's performance was great, I thought his growth was rushed and Tarantino did something that I haven't seen in any of his movies and it's he used a montage to show a character evolving. I thought there was a lot of the film which could have been replaced to dive deeper into Django's transformation from down-and-out slave to hardened bounty hunter.

I think a lot of the Big Daddy portion could have been replaced to show this growth. And the scene with the KKK, while funny, felt extremely disjointed. It's like the movie came out of itself and became aware of the ridiculousness. Which is fine in certain circumstances, but it really took me out of the experience.

For these reasons, I thought Waltz's character - Dr. King Schultz was the most interesting. Especially when the movie transitions to Candyland. I thought the most brilliant aspect of the movie was showing this bounty hunter who had been killing people and transporting their body for years, but you watched as he became more unsettled and horrified by the things he saw on the plantation. Leading to the great scene with him and Candy.

A good movie, but by Tarantino standards, I thought it was a bit of a letdown and I thought the tone was uneven in a lot of places. Which isn't something you see in a lot of his work. I'd still recommend it though, if for nothing else than to see what was one of Samuel L. Jackson's best performances since Pulp Fiction.
                JohnnyV
                Pictionary Master
                Last edited by JohnnyV; 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)

"Professor, what should we do?
                  "Clam down."
                  (Actual typo from subtitles)

Pretty damn good. The Princess/Venusian looked better (I feel) as a tomboy-clothed doomsday prophet. The revelation that Ghidorah single-handedly wiped out all of Venus was pretty surprising.

And thanks to this film, I now have a nickname for Hydreigon, once I catch a Deino and evolve him in Pokemon.
                  Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Watched it on Blu-Ray last night, still a great movie.

Comment

GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were a couple of lingering problems which I think kept the movie from greatness, and from being one of Tarantino's best. First, while I thought Jamie Foxx's performance was great, I thought his growth was rushed and Tarantino did something that I haven't seen in any of his movies and it's he used a montage to show a character evolving. I thought there was a lot of the film which could have been replaced to dive deeper into Django's transformation from down-and-out slave to hardened bounty hunter.

I think a lot of the Big Daddy portion could have been replaced to show this growth. And the scene with the KKK, while funny, felt extremely disjointed. It's like the movie came out of itself and became aware of the ridiculousness. Which is fine in certain circumstances, but it really took me out of the experience.

For these reasons, I thought Waltz's character - Dr. King Schultz was the most interesting. Especially when the movie transitions to Candyland. I thought the most brilliant aspect of the movie was showing this bounty hunter who had been killing people and transporting their body for years, but you watched as he became more unsettled and horrified by the things he saw on the plantation. Leading to the great scene with him and Candy.

A good movie, but by Tarantino standards, I thought it was a bit of a letdown and I thought the tone was uneven in a lot of places. Which isn't something you see in a lot of his work. I'd still recommend it though, if for nothing else than to see what was one of Samuel L. Jackson's best performances since Pulp Fiction.

Man, I CRIED during the KKK scene. I think everyone in the theater did. You knew the movie would be ridiculous with the opening scene, so by the end, nothing seemed too over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                          Man, I CRIED during the KKK scene. I think everyone in the theater did. You knew the movie would be ridiculous with the opening scene, so by the end, nothing seemed too over the top.
                          Don't get me wrong, it was a hilarious scene. I hate to use the term, but it almost had a 'meta' quality to it, as if the movie became aware of its own ridiculousness. It reminded me of a scene from a Mel Brook's movie too. It just took me out of it a bit, and took me awhile to get invested in the story again.
                          JohnnyV
                          Pictionary Master
                          Last edited by JohnnyV; 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Comment

Gamera: The Giant Monster (1965)

"SOS. Giant turtle sighted."

Watching it again with commentary too.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                              Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)...Pretty damn good. The Princess/Venusian looked better (I feel) as a tomboy-clothed doomsday prophet. The revelation that Ghidorah single-handedly wiped out all of Venus was pretty surprising. . .
                              Yeah, this or Mothra vs. Godzilla is my favorite. It's funny, usually the human and alien plots feel like what you have to sit through until the good stuff (monster battles) start, but the princess storline I could've followed as its own story. Also, the "monster counsel" where the tiny beauties translate may be my single favorite Godzilla moment.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X