Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ryan Reynolds reprise Hal Jordan for the new DCU movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ryan Reynolds reprise Hal Jordan for the new DCU movies?

And if not, why not?

I don't think there's a whole lot of harm within the existing Green Lantern movie. At a certain point it kind of seemed at large it became "cool" to hate on the Green Lantern and that sort of became the thing to do... but was it entirely deserved? I liked the GL movie... I wanted to love it, but I wasn't able to (nothing a sequel or follow-up couldn't fix). Should this bar GL from moving on to the cinematic universe established by "Man of Steel" as such? I don't think so.
    Yes!
    23.53%
    Don't really know... maybe?
    11.76%
    Don't care.
    5.88%
    No.
    58.82%

Used to want him to come back, but now I just think he's the right actor for it. I'm not so opposed to the film being in the DCCU but I'd recast Reynolds, or maybe just use John Stewart instead.
    Originally posted by IonFan
    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
    Originally posted by Quaker
    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

I said no because I want my Deadpool movie. Period.

Comment

While they could have made a better choice, I don't think Reynolds was ever the problem with that movie or what caused it to tank.

Part of me says keep him and change everything else that needs to be fixed or recast in the next one. Another part of me says just throw out the baby with the bathwater and start from scratch. A total reboot may be needed to get audiences in the theater for the second try.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
          While they could have made a better choice, I don't think Reynolds was ever the problem with that movie or what caused it to tank. . .
          ^This. I would be fine with him coming back. I would also be fine with Hal being recast, but realistically I think they'd go with John Stewart first. If it's a choice between Reynolds as Hal or not Hal, I definitely pick Reynolds.

Comment

i don't care, don't get me wrong i loved him as Hal in the GL movie and still love the movie itself (even if it wasn't all it could be) but being that it's not coming out til 2020 ( yeah right believe in when i see it) i just think he'll be to old for it by then

but hey if he thinks he can still pull it off then i say go for it otherwise get a new one for the role

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
              ...but being that it's not coming out til 2020 ( yeah right believe in when i see it) i just think he'll be to old for it by then ...
              They could always give him grey temples!

Comment

At this point, I'd rather see a GL John Stewart movie. Ryan wasn't bad, but given how badly the movie flopped, I think it will still be fresh in people's minds, so they might as well go in a different direction. Besides, it would be good to see a Black superhero in the lead for a change, and that would work with DC's diversity angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider-Lantern View Post
                  I said no because I want my Deadpool movie. Period.
                  I don't think one has ever precluded the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                    At this point, I'd rather see a GL John Stewart movie. Ryan wasn't bad, but given how badly the movie flopped, I think it will still be fresh in people's minds, so they might as well go in a different direction. Besides, it would be good to see a Black superhero in the lead for a change, and that would work with DC's diversity angle.
                    I don't think they're going to go with John Stewart. That they're pushing Cyborg in the JL movies makes me think that, in their eyes, that will be satisfying the "black quotient."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                      I don't think Reynolds was ever the problem with that movie or what caused it to tank.
                      While I agree with that, I say no to having Ryan Reynolds reprise the role of Hal Jordan for the new DCU movie. I mean, Christan Bale is not Batman so let's just move along.

Since they have cast Ezra Miller as the Flash, I think they may go young with the Green Lantern as well. So, I won't be surprise if they went with Kyle Rayner. However, I hope it's Hal.
                      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                        While I agree with that, I say no to having Ryan Reynolds reprise the role of Hal Jordan for the new DCU movie. I mean, Christan Bale is not Batman so let's just move along.
                        Though I don't know that there's really anything in the Green Lantern movie that would fly in the face of anything we saw in Man of Steel, or vice versa, or anything detrimental to the planned DC cinematic universe.

The same can't be said of the Nolan Batman films. I do love the movies, but Nolan fairly well scorched the Earth on the way out the door with The Dark Knight Rises... we're left with a Bruce Wayne with bad knees, a Gordon who knows he's Batman (except he's not anymore, because he retired for the second time after only ever being Batman for basically less than a year), and a Wayne Manor that's an orphanage. And plus I don't know that a Batman that has problems fighting stray dogs is someone that's ever going to believably be able to go toe-to-toe with Superman... or Darkseid.

I say just bring back Reynolds into the fold in the Justice League movie. Have him grow and develop in those movies more in line with how Hal Jordan ought to be (and not some kind of weird Guy Gardner/Kyle Rayner hybrid) before sending him back for a Green Lantern 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post

Since they have cast Ezra Miller as the Flash, I think they may go young with the Green Lantern as well. So, I won't be surprise if they went with Kyle Rayner. However, I hope it's Hal.
                          That's just the thing though, they can't go too young with Hal cause dude served a few years in the Air Force before becoming a test pilot for Ferris Air. he's gotta be in his mid to late 20's at least...

I wouldn't have a problem with Reynolds but he needs to be written more like Hal and not like some modern day Kyle Rayner.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            I don't think one has ever precluded the other.
                            I guess. I imagine GL's lukewarm reception didn't help. Other then possible scheduling conflicts, I realize it was a bit of a gut reaction.

All the things that were wrong the Green Lantern movie, I don't believe Ryan Reynolds was one of them. Honestly, I don't see it happening, but I would be fine with it if they did bring him back as Hal.
                            Spider-Lantern
                            Corps Honor Guard
                            Last edited by Spider-Lantern; 11-20-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I wanna say yes because I really like Ryan but he won't be back. I think they've already said the new Green Lantern will be a reboot so his GL movie won't even in continuity, and also I don't think Ryan even wants to come back. But there are a lot of other really good actors that I think would make a good Hal and fit into this universe they're building. I personally think Jake Gyllenhaal would be a great choice.

Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Working...
                              X