Classic Horror (Pre-1950s) Film Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Years?

Ooh. Ooh. Did he have no home? Was he hunted, despised, and living like an animal?

Comment

• Lost to his heroin addiction perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        The Lost Years?

Ooh. Ooh. Did he have no home? Was he hunted, despised, and living like an animal?
        Who knows...he was too busy BUILDING A RACE...OF ATOMIC SUPERMEN...

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
        Lost to his heroin addiction perhaps?
        Actually, it was morphine that had been prescribed to him because of a war injury during World War I that had become chronic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
          Actually, it was morphine that had been prescribed to him because of a war injury during World War I that had become chronic.
          Well, Paul Marco and some others said they saw him shoot up the big H too. They could be lying, but most opiate addicts (I've known one or two ex-users) go through them all eventually.

Comment

Well, Paul Marco and some others said they saw him shoot up the big H too. They could be lying, but most opiate addicts (I've known one or two ex-users) go through them all eventually.
            Well, it's possible, but I'm not sure I would think of Paul Marco as a reliable source.

Comment

• Yeah, didn't he think he had a horse's head for one year of his life? I think that was him (one of the Woodites anyway).

I just feel like I've read more than once Lugosi actually progressed to heroin. Usually opium addicts take what they can get, whether just opioids like demeral or percocet or straight to chasing the dragon when able.
              Whatever he was doing, he was definitely shooting it, but that could be morphine, demerol, dilaudid, etc.

Comment

• Big beautiful Full Moon so you know what that means. First up tonight:

Comment

• Yeah, I'm going to watch a werewolf movie too for this Harvest Moon but I'm trying to decide between House of Dracula and Howling 4.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to watch a werewolf movie too for this Harvest Moon but I'm trying to decide between House of Dracula and Howling 4.

I went with this one next even though I never have liked Lugosi as the Monster...don't get me wrong! Great as Dracula, Dr. Mirakal, Murder Legendre, The Sayer of the Law, etc. etc. etc. but not Frankie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
                      I went with this one next even though I never have liked Lugosi as the Monster...don't get me wrong! Great as Dracula, Dr. Mirakal, Murder Legendre, The Sayer of the Law, etc. etc. etc. but not Frankie.
                      I briefly considered watching Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. I went with House of Dracula but only watched half and it was lights-out time. I'll finish tonight.

Yeah, Bela is okay, but just okay as the monster. It's funny that in the movie Ed Wood when he's giving his tirade against Karloff and how easy playing the monster is they neglect both the fact that Lugosi played the monster and he co-starred with Karloff a couple times.

Comment

• Comment

• House of Dracula (1948)

"I will explain everything, before sunrise."

Seen this many times, but it's always fun.

So, not liking BL as the monster, how do you feel about Glenn Strange, Abin? I feel he made a very acceptable Karloff substitute.

And I really like John Carradine as Dracula. Something about him just says aristocratic vampire.

And here's Miliza Morelle (Martha O'Dricoll) playing "Moonlight Sonata." As with the dozens of other horror movies I've heard this in, she stops off (here at least with an excuse---the count controls her to play a native tune) just before the piece goes into its upbeat tempo (which remains for the rest of the sonata if people actually got to hear the whole thing).

Comment

So, not liking BL as the monster, how do you feel about Glenn Strange, Abin? I feel he made a very acceptable Karloff substitute.

And I really like John Carradine as Dracula. Something about him just says aristocratic vampire.

And here's Miliza Morelle (Martha O'Dricoll) playing "Moonlight Sonata." As with the dozens of other horror movies I've heard this in, she stops off (here at least with an excuse---the count controls her to play a native tune) just before the piece goes into its upbeat tempo (which remains for the rest of the sonata if people actually got to hear the whole thing).
                            I've always thought Strange would have been great if they had actually given him something to do. The most screen time he ever got was in A&CMF. I actually prefer him to BL or Lon Jr.

And Carradine made an excellent Dracula. I really wish that they had cast him in Son of Dracula instead of Lon Jr. (no I'm not hatin' on them. LOL)

Well, that movement does stay fairly lugubrious to the end, but the next movement is at a breakneck speed. That is a very good scene. When I saw Hammer's Kiss of the Vampire, there's a scene that was reminiscent of this one, but one of the vampires was the one at the piano.
                            Abin Surly
                            or ewe sirius
                            Last edited by Abin Surly; 10-03-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• I was remiss yesterday for not posting this, but October 6th was the anniversary of the passing of Mr. Tod Browning 51 years ago.

We're still thinkin' about ya, sir!

Comment

• Started The Annual October Countdown fairly well, although I got jammed up this weekend with gigs. Our story thus far since the 1st of the month:

Also managed to watch all but the last episode of the 3rd season of The Walking Dead, but that's a subject for another time and a different thread.

Plus, if I get to feeling better, a locally owned renovated neighborhood theater is showing "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" on the big screen tonight, so send me some happy juju so I can go.

Comment

Working...
                                X