Reading some of the early Hal stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading some of the early Hal stuff

In Showcase form, interesting things.... (about to start issue 9)

What a GL Ring makes apparently stays put even after the GL stops thinking about it.

Hal as Pol Manning in 5700 - you would think they would know about Parallax wouldn't ya

The writers understood that the GL can actually do anything with the ring, turn invisible, shrink to subatomic size etc etc it's all there!

One panel - Hal uses his ring to create a MULTI color light show to distract a sea monster --- HUH?

I'm sure theres more to come....

I am really enjoying these Showcases though!
    My Ketogenic Journey

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
    Hal as Pol Manning in 5700 - you would think they would know about Parallax wouldn't ya
    They do. In Zero Hour (the mini-series itself) we see young Hal in 5700 and the people there make some remark that they needed to grab Hal while he was still young and pure.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      They do. In Zero Hour (the mini-series itself) we see young Hal in 5700 and the people there make some remark that they needed to grab Hal while he was still young and pure.
      You have a crazy memory dude

But always good info!

That is all
      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

GL Showcases are great, Broome was such a great writer in his prime and his pairing with Kane was one of the best of it's time.
        "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

I like reading alot of the early stuff. You cann tell which of the writers were takeing LSD before they started on their book hehe and those were normaly the better issues

Darth_Andrea

Comment

I just picked up Showcase presents Green Lantern Vol. 1, Hal almost always forgetting about yellow makes me laugh
            "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Comment

There were a few concepts from the early series that I liked. Like the Guardians never really meeting a GL in person, they would summon a green avatar from the mind of the individual lanterns to Oa. And then question the lantern before sending them back to their bodies without any memory of the encounter.

I thought it was a little better if the guardians remained mysterious unknowable higher lifeforms.

Comment

I've been reading them a lot lately. At one point Hal produces a rainbow beam to analyse a metal ... including the color yellow! hah! Take THAT emotional spectrum!

Gotta agree with "the ring can do anything" mentality in the earlier stuff. I haven't seen the ring do ANYTHING that fancy since V3 (and the lion's share of my knowledge) started!

Comment

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
                  Gotta agree with "the ring can do anything" mentality in the earlier stuff.
                  Agreed. Schwartz, Broome and Fox were all science fiction people who happened to be working in comics, and it showed.

I also like how Hal's basic origin story and all the various players unfold over the course of 10-15 issues, in arcs. In fact Broome/Schwartz didn't really stop building out the GL-verse until issue # 40, 5 years in. And then just 10 issues later, they monkey-wrenched Hal's entire world, having him leave Coast City and his cast. Comic writing ahead of its time.

One of the best things about Flash and GL in those days was how futuristic they were. The stories were about the fantastic, and new and interesting applications of their relative powers. GL's applications of his ring were often improvisational, rabbit-out-of-a-hat type solutions. New ways to use the same basic powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
                    I've been reading them a lot lately. At one point Hal produces a rainbow beam to analyse a metal ... including the color yellow! hah! Take THAT emotional spectrum!

Gotta agree with "the ring can do anything" mentality in the earlier stuff. I haven't seen the ring do ANYTHING that fancy since V3 (and the lion's share of my knowledge) started!
                    You see them doing that stuff even now, but it is very rare.

For instance, take a look at how Waid feels about the character of Hal and the power of a GL -- he copied the abilities of the ever-evolving weapon, turned Adam Strange from water back to human/normal again, and supercharged the Zeta Beam to search and teleport people through TIME -- in Brave and the Bold.

It's rare, but it occurs, and it is a lot of fun when it does because it brings back the idea that, yeah, anything really CAN happen now and that yes, these are the most amazing tools in the universe.
                    Check out my blog! Reviews! Thoughts! Story ideas! Comics-Related-Ephemera!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's one of the reasons I fell in love with GL back in the day when I was stealing my brothers comics. Every Issue I was wondering what Hal, John or Guy were going to make to stop the bad guy this issue. Hal used the ring to prevent Major Disaster from speaking his name after he discovered Hal was really GL. John used his ring in one issue (pre-crisis) to create a couple giant trash can lids to counter Sonars sound waves and deafen him for a time while he wraped him up. It was all so cool. Then when they went into space seeing those alien species the different ship designs and the adventures. I didn't get the social commentary in the issues when it was there not till rereading them years later and was amazed at how deep those books where. There isn't another comic I have ever read that has held up in that respect over the years. Or is as referenced as much. Save for some issues of Spider-man, The Drug Issue and the Issue where he tossed away his costume.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

The latest one I read Sinestro needed to win a Qwardian Popularity Contest by being the most evil this is the Peril of the Yellow World story where the 8th dimension at least when entered through the Anti-matter Universe is entirely Yellow, and Sinestro mind trapped the people there to try to kill Hal
                        GLJIMT
                        Last edited by GLJIMT; 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM.
                        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

you know what was really wierd back then Green lantern was a name hal made up the guardians didn't evn know they just said "this green lantern has one of ouir power rings"like they thought he was a enemy or something,and like the corps never exsited

Comment

Some of those old stories just werent coherent at all, but I still love reading them with all the nostalgia and such.

Comment

Anyone who is interested in seeing some of those old feats, take a look at the GL Respect Thread I posted in the v4 forum.

Hopefully it'll bring back some memories!
                              Check out my blog! Reviews! Thoughts! Story ideas! Comics-Related-Ephemera!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X