No announcement yet.

Green Lantern #49 *Previews/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikel Janin would be great on this book.

Comment

I agree, I'd personally rather have Chiang though

Comment

Yes, the save at the U.N. was cool, but that kinda thing should have been two pages of a GL comic and if Hal's gauntlet is so powerful, containing that explosion should not have winded him - was it as powerful as a nuke or something? And I'd think Hal losing his temper as angrily as he was depicted would have leveled a city block, not just some furniture in the room.

And since when does he or any hero sit around watching the news rather than going out and hunting down the bad guy? Lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
          Yes, the save at the U.N. was cool, but that kinda thing should have been two pages of a GL comic and if Hal's gauntlet is so powerful, containing that explosion should not have winded him - was it as powerful as a nuke or something? ...
          I agree with that. It shouldn't even be a matter of a strain. It should be a matter of did he will it enough and did he use a construct that could properly contain the explosion? If he did, then there shouldn't be any difference between containing a nuke or containing a firecracker.

Comment

I just read it. IMO the fill in art was MUCH better than Tan's. I could at least read the book and not lose interest. I think we were spoiled for many years by Geoff Johns' having the marquee value that allowed him to always have the a list artists to work with. EVS, Reis, Mahnke, even THEIR fill ins were fantastic. Right now GL isn't on DC's front burner and I wish it was again because Tan's art is sub par. For this issue he only did the cover and one page, but that was two pages too many IMO. The cover alone is always a big fail that a comic book can't afford.

Decent story; nothing groundbreaking, but competent. I'm kind of looking forward to the end now that it's only a few months/issues away. I want to see a major change. Either things get MUCH better, or DC does their garbage they've shoveled out since 2010 and I'm done. I'd much rather see DC regain some of it's former glory and have a new golden age, but that seems unrealistic at this point.

Comment

Venditti talks about this issue and what's going on with GL (double post from news thread):

+ YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

It's kind of a shame Venditti didn't get better artists on this run. If he had a Reis doing the art chores it would have made the story much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  It's kind of a shame Venditti didn't get better artists on this run. If he had a Reis doing the art chores it would have made the story much more enjoyable.
                  Co-signed. Especially with all those action and motion panels.

Comment

It's amazing how good art can make you feel like an average story was good. Or shitty art can convince you a good story was terrible.

Comment

Amen

It's amazing how good art can make you feel like an average story was good. Or shitty art can convince you a good story was terrible.
                      Not as important as writing but very important component to comics is the art. Otherwise just read prose. What makes Sandman eternal is that it had above average art for the entire run, while a majority of Vertigo books were never able to say that. Not all of Geoff's run on GL was incredible but I can't remember bad arcs when Pacheco, Reis, Shane Davis or EVS. I am sure there were some if not for the good art.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                        Not as important as writing but very important component to comics is the art. Otherwise just read prose. What makes Sandman eternal is that it had above average art for the entire run, while a majority of Vertigo books were never able to say that. Not all of Geoff's run on GL was incredible but I can't remember bad arcs when Pacheco, Reis, Shane Davis or EVS. I am sure there were some if not for the good art.
                        As West likes to point out it's a medium of words and pictures. When one or the other lacks, it's noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          As West likes to point out it's a medium of words and pictures. When one or the other lacks, it's noticeable.
                          Makes me wonder how much I would have 'liked' the New God arc and this gauntlet storyline if the art were better, because now it is more meh to slightly disappointing when thinking of how great it could have been. I am hoping this #50 doesn't leave me feeling the same way.

Speaking of #50 looking at the post 50 solicits it looks like a one off tale and not an arc. However Parallax is making an appearance in the last two issues of Telos, so I wonder if the two Hal's issue gets resolved next month or like in Parallax' wars with Kyle, Hal (renegade) will think he has won/foe vanquished but actually Parallax just proceeding with master plan somewhere else. Going off to start Rebirth, like he went off to start Zero Hour.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post

Speaking of #50 looking at the post 50 solicits it looks like a one off tale and not an arc. However Parallax is making an appearance in the last two issues of Telos, so I wonder if the two Hal's issue gets resolved next month or like in Parallax' wars with Kyle, Hal (renegade) will think he has won/foe vanquished but actually Parallax just proceeding with master plan somewhere else. Going off to start Rebirth, like he went off to start Zero Hour.
                            Nice. I should have thought of that, but I have not.

That could be a pretty cool story. Parallax mucking up the multiverses again, because he can. But this time he 'fixes' it and the DCU is restored...

-Don
                            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

This was a nice, tight story. Yes, it was small scale, but the pacing between the Black Hand arc and the coming Parallax arc needed to be less grandiose so those stories didn't bleed into one another.

I really liked that Hal deduced Sonar's plan. That gave the story a cop instinct kind of vibe. It seems that the gauntlet is continuing with its shenanigans, which makes me wonder if there will be some kind of ramifications for Hal's mind once he moves on from the renegade period?
                              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                                This was a nice, tight story. Yes, it was small scale, but the pacing between the Black Hand arc and the coming Parallax arc needed to be less grandiose so those stories didn't bleed into one another.

I really liked that Hal deduced Sonar's plan. That gave the story a cop instinct kind of vibe. It seems that the gauntlet is continuing with its shenanigans, which makes me wonder if there will be some kind of ramifications for Hal's mind once he moves on from the renegade period?
                                I think they are drawing parallels to Parallax, that Hal's Gauntlet decision could be as costly as his choice to overrun the CPB if he doesn't get his ring back on soon. That's my guess anyway heading into #50...
                                “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                                X