View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #44
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Ethan, good to have you here. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work on GL, and look forward to seeing more of it. (I will say that I'm glad they have found a way to utilize you for special event stuff, since it seemed like your detailed style wasn't really conducive to a monthly book schedule. Not a criticism of you, as I would never want an artist to rush their art, just an observation. Plus adding your art to specials and stuff makes them even more special, IMHO.)

I did have a question, though. I'm not a real fan of gore, and felt that the scene with the eyeball bouncing off the girl's hand, and the partially-eaten guy stuffed in the Shark's mouth was too much for my personal taste, especially with your level of detail. Who makes the decision to go that grotesque route for an image? Is it the artist or the writer?
I absolve Geoff of that entirely. Geoff asked for blood drops on her shoulder, and blood in the Shark's mouth. I thought some extremely excessive gore would be comical, or at least interesting, so I added the eyeball and the surfer's remains. I can see why it would be thought of as going too far, but what's too far when there's a giant shark man off of Coast City eating people? I saw JAWS, afterall. I still think it's a great scene, and people were talking about it the next day, which is about as much as you can ask for as a creative person.

By the way, did you know that there IS a species of shark called the Green Lanternshark? Look it up!

Ethan
Ethan Van Sciver is offline   Reply With Quote