Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It gets easier fast. Do a few shrines, get a few more hearts, and stock up on potions to replenish your health. Some of those potions even give you additional hearts on top of your maximum.

Comment

• Finished the last side quest in Naruto's Adventure story for Ninja Storm 4. I only needed to do the sparring partners quest, which frankly only served to highlight, even more than was already obvious, the balancing problems CC2 has long had with the franchise. To briefly explain, the higher up the sparring network ladder you go, the enemies get +10% boosts to attack power, all the way up to +100% for the final match. If you aren't prepared, it is extremely easy to die. Obviously this is a sleazy and cheap way to bolster the difficulty and pad game length.

Since unlocking the bonus costumes and much of the other cosmetics requires exchanging in-game items earned via exploration/combat/task completion, and since I want to see how much I can do, I'm going to work towards checking off some (maybe eventually all) of the "50 Ninja Tasks" in addition to completing the other two Adventure mode stories.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
        Why didn't anyone tell me how mother loving hard Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is?!
        I feel like I'm clear since the Mini-Classic NES is the first Nintendo I've had since the original Wii and that was the first since the original NES . . . plus I've never gotten into RPGs (action or otherwise).

Comment

• https://wccftech.com/law-firms-class...vision-bungie/

Comment

• 1) Last night I hooked my PS3 back up, re-downloaded the DLC for Dark Souls, and started a new playthrough. I quit before the first boss (Asylum Demon) but finished him off and made it to Undead Burg a little bit ago. Hopefully I can actually find the strength to complete the game this time around (I got maybe a quarter into it before giving up years ago).

2) Episode 300 of James & Mike Mondays. Huzzah!

edit --

James, Mike, and Kieran play the original Resident Evil 2!
            Agent Purple
            The Illustrated Man
            Last edited by Agent Purple; 01-29-2019, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
              Hard to believe they've done so many. I love James and Mike Mondays. I haven't watched them since the very beginning, but I made up the ones I missed.

They remind me of my old best friend and I just gaming and razzing each other. The clip show bit was fun.

Comment

• That clip show made me remember those huge-ass sideburns James used to sport.

Anyway...

French man gets four months in prison for replacing PS4 price sticker with $10 fruit sticker

Comment

• 1) Tried Survival for The Division, didn't do terribly (almost died once, dude revived me, a random player gave me a load of good gear, made it to the extraction point). Unfortunately I died to a pair of Hunters (one appeared right in front of me, almost killed it, but then a second showed up because another player was nearby and caused it to spawn, which royally screwed me). Dunno if I'll invest much into this now that I have tried it. It's not bad, it is kind of fun and challenging, but it's almost irritating as hell dealing with thirst, hunger, the disease timer, and the cold.

2) Been working on S-rank ratings for Ninja Storm 4, managed a few but the battles are still total bullshit in terms of balance and even when I do well, the game will refuse to give me any higher than A-rank. Hell if I know if I'll ever finish off many more of the trophies.

Comment

• 1) Finally got S-rank on all 54 Memory Fragments for Ninja Storm 4. The sheer ridiculousness of some of the fights (the absurd boosts to attack power, mostly, but I think a couple did have infinite dodges) made things a lot more frustrating than they had any reason to be. But now I just have to worry about S-ranking the story fights.

2) Progressed a little in Dark Souls, almost making it to the Taurus Demon, this big bastard minotaur patrolling a section of castle wall. I still remember hearing back when the game first came out that players could trick the AI into jumping to its doom for an easy win, and then that got patched. He's not too difficult, but I really didn't feel like dealing with his shit today. I also avoided both Havel the Rock (at the bottom of the tower the Taurus Demon is on top of) and the Black Knight in Undead Burg. I still remember facing that tough guy, and I'm not eager to try my luck with him again just yet.

Comment

• A bit late I know but I finally got around to playing Horizon Zero Dawn. And OMG this game is so good. I just finished it not 20 minutes ago, it's 2:30am currently. And when the games final cinematic ended I found myself having a full blown break down. I have never cried at the ending of a video game. But this made me cry hard. It was more of a happy cry than a sad or mad one. The story is wonderful and the worlds lore is amazing. If you have a PS4, love games with strong stories that are both exciting and emotional, get this game and play it.

The game play is also wonderful, the UI is easy to navigate even in combat and the variety of weapons and combat abilities make each encounter unique as you have dozens if not hundreds of ways you can take down any enemy you encounter.

Also the game is beautiful even in ruins or in the middle of combat the world around you is stunning to look at. There are places where you just want to stop and look at the vistas and surroundings. It's worth the price for that alone.

I can't wait for a sequel to this game. The story clearly sets up a sequel and from what I understand it more than sold enough to justify making a second one.

Next up for me, starting tomorrow .. Spider-Man ...

Darth_Andrea

Comment

• I beat Celeste without ever using Assist mode. Feels great.

Comment

• FTL (Faster Than Light) on Steam is great.

I've only beaten it once, and my ship actually exploded but since it was after the big boss, I got credit for the win.

I keep coming back to it, I wish it was available on mobile.

Comment

• 1) RNG in The Division is still a fickle bitch to me. Can't get the right Classified gear I need for my third agent.

2) Dark Souls -- got killed a couple times because I got annoyed and tried to rush a couple spots, no huge loss but it made me roll my eyes. I still didn't feel like challenging the Undead Burg Black Knight, and I wasn't in the mood for Havel either, so I picked the Taurus Demon to take on. I managed to first blow easily enough, but then he killed me (I then died again rushing to get back to the fight, ugh). Second time I tried some tactics, namely spawning the boss, climbing up and doing the plunge attack, rolling between his legs to force him to back up, climbing up again, and then he jumped up when I was drinking my Estus flask to regain health.

Apparently getting on the ladder to go down causes the boss to jump back down and I kept getting on/off to trick him into giving me a few moments to refill my HP, and then I repeat plunged him for a fairly easy win.

Past him I got to the dragon's bridge, and then below it to create the shortcut from Undead Burg, but I don't have a long bow at the moment to shoot off the dragon's tail for the Drake Sword. I might get one because that actually is a damn good weapon in early game for melee characters.

I pushed onward a bit and discovered Undead Parish, spotting the giant boar mini-boss and almost going up the other stairs before realizing there's another Black Knight there. Went back to the bonfire under the bridge and called it an evening. Tomorrow I'll try and clear out the boar, maybe I might feel bold enough to tackle one of the Black Knights, and I know I'll leave Havel alone for a while yet.

Comment

• Daaamn, as much as I loved Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy on the original Xbox, it really didn't age well. The Switch port by THQ Nordic is atrocious. The only thing they changed was the screen resolution, but the controls, camera, voice-less cut scenes and quests are terrible.

Comment

• That does suck, because THQN isn't a bad studio, and now they have this (admittedly minor) shame on their record.

edit --- killed the giant boar in Dark Souls (didn't get the helmet this time, guess it was because it technically died to fire damage from the environment rather than my sword, but the helmet wasn't great anyway). Got a bit farther into Undead Parish and fought some particular knight-style enemies (not the Black Knights yet, still hesitating on those bastards). Maybe tomorrow I'll clear out more of the Parish itself and activate the elevator to Firelink Shrine, but I'll probably call it a night there because I absolutely don't feel like dealing with that double gargoyle boss fight. That fight was bullshit the first time, I don't want to think ahead to the frustration I'm probably going to feel soon enough.
                                Agent Purple
                                The Illustrated Man
                                Last edited by Agent Purple; 02-07-2019, 01:57 AM. Reason: Dunk Soulssssssssss

Comment

Working...
                                X