No announcement yet.

The Doctor Who Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wish to go on record as saying yes i will be watching the new Doctor Who series (when it comes to the US, see i only have the BBCA not the BBC so no clue when they'll be getting it) BUT I HATE THIS NEW DOCTOR

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Seriously..I can't wait ANY longer.I'm going crazy.

Comment

Four hours and counting....

M

Comment

fishfingers dipped in custard... fuck me, i love this new Doctor already lol

M

Comment

ok... all doubts gone... Matt Smith is THE DOCTOR... amazing, simply amazing... can't fault one part of that episode... fantastic!!!

M

Comment

loved the new episode, still unsure about Matt Smith, but still had the best line of the episode

"That's great. We've got 20 minutes to save the world and we've got a post office. And it's shut."

Companion is nice, has long legs and generally I think promissing start for the new series and the new doctor

Comment

I loved the new TARDIS... the steampunk feel felt perfect...

I do think Smith's best line was when he got the aliens to come back so he could pull them up on the shit they'd just pulled. "Hello, i'm The Doctor... basically... run!" and they just fled in terror after seeing how protective he was of Earth lol

Absolutely fantastic... can't wait for more... not sure about the opening sequence, but that might grow on me after time...

+ YouTube Video
                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

M

Comment

Full review of Episode 1... 11th Hour...

Overview

So as the familiar theme tune returns to our screens, we’re faced with a new logo, a new TARDIS, a new companion and a new Doctor. But as the episode progresses it’s made perfectly clear that this is exactly the same show we all know and love. But with Steven Moffat and Matt Smith at the helm, it just got better.

Episode Summery

This was an episode that didn’t let up. From the minute the TARDIS crashed, the Doctor was constantly on the move, barely even pausing to get a look at his face or find out what his favourite food was. I think that after Sleepy10, a little bit of manic action was appropriate. Forcing the Doctor to work when all he wants to do is sleep and get used to his body, is something fairly new and it allowed us the viewer to see him in a raw unfinished form. None of this asking what he was like, he found out as we did. Which is to my mind absolutely perfect.

The bad guys were scary if a tad forgettable, but the Doctor (and yes by this point you’ve ceased to think of him as “The Eleventh Doctor” and just as “The Doctor) calling back the Atraxi, just to give them a jolly good telling off.

Are they harmless. Yes, have they broken any of your laws? No. Are they protected because aliens have come here before and every time they’ve been defeated. Hello I’m the Doctor... basically... run!
                  This scene leaves the viewer (even the most die hard Tennant fan) in no doubt that this is exactly the same man.

A brilliant introduction.

The Doctor

This was a Doctor who both knew who he was and yet didn’t. He knew he was the Doctor, yet at the same time he wasn’t sure what type of Doctor yet. But as the episode went on, he shrugged off the Ten remnants he clung to early in the episode and by the end he was clearly and unmistakable Eleven.

This is a man who likes to have the last word, who notices everything, who’s funny and intelligent and that tiny bit barmy. The scene with young Amy and the various foods put this across perfectly. He knows who he is but only the basics, nothing specific.

I think this is going to be the most Doctor like Doctor we’ve seen since the series returned in 2005. No more angst, no more world weary lonely god. Just a madman in a box, who might just show us the universe.

The Companion

When Amelia “Amy” Pond (“Amelia was a bit too fairy tale") meets the Doctor it’s a case of misfit meets misfit. He’s the wandering traveller with neither home nor family to call his own. She’s the Scottish orphan in the English village who for years had dreamed of a man in a flying box, who promised he’d be back in five minutes.

But Amy is no wallflower waiting for the Doctor to come back, she’s moved on with her life. And when the Doctor returns completely unchanged, she is more than a little upset (though the cricket bat to the head was probably a bit far). I don’t think we’ve seen a companion with this much gumption since Ace in the later 80’s (all credit to Donna, she was awesome. But as much as I love her Amy has her beaten in the guts and waiting for the Doctor stakes). This is a woman, who like the Doctor likes to have the last word. When those two are in a room together they crackle and spark like you wouldn’t believe. She’s shaping up to be possible one of the best companions of NuWho.

Of course there is Rory to consider. Though she appears to love him (enough to get engaged once the Doctor leaves again) I think the poor boy is going to have trouble competing with our favourite Time Lord. After all, she did look.

The TARDIS

There is very little I can say about the new TARDIS other than that she is defiantly a contender for the title of “Best Console Room,” an award long held by the Eight Doctor’s TARDIS. As close to perfect as I have ever seen. It even has the hat stand and doorways to other rooms. I really really hope we see more of her across the season.

An honourable mention must also go to the Mark 4 Sonic Screwdriver. It did its job right to the end but unfortunately it had to go. Now we have the copper plated Mark 5 to look forward to

The Costume

Eleven spent most of the episode in the tattered remnants of his suit. While this wasn’t the greatest look, it enforced the idea that the Doctor hadn’t even had a moment to rest and put his feet up, instead being pitched straight into the midst of an alien invasion.

We didn’t get a wardrobe scene (or my wished for Amy shopping scene) but what we did get was a nice nod to both the Third Doctor and the Eighth Doctor as Eleven casually picked clothes up from the hospital locker room, mixing and matching them as he headed to the roof for a confrontation with the Atraxi. When he stepped through the eye bubble in full kit, I must say I think my heart skipped a beat. As for Amy’s costume. Well in her own words, “It was either this or a French Maid’s outfit.”

The Bad Guy

Prisoner Zero was “interesting,” A multi form taking the form of coma patients that had been living in Amy’s house for twelve years. It was suitable creepy, especially when the man barked like a dog or the child talked like a woman. Once again Moffat played off childhood fears with pitch perfect mastery.
                  As for the Atraxi, well they came across as a slightly less Vogonish Judoon, all be it ones with some slightly mad ideas about how to capture an escaped prisoner. The eye ship was brilliant though as was the final confrontation between them and the Doctor.

Conclusion

Any lingering doubts I still had about Matt Smith’s ability to play the Doctor were instantly swept away the minute he jumped out the TARDIS. With Steven Moffat at the helm and Matt and Karen in the lead roles, Doctor Who has never been safer. And it’s never been more fantastic.

Comment

For those that are interested, Neil Gaiman's episode of Doctor Who has been bumped away from this season... instead it's going to act as the first episode of the second, longer, season

Excerpt from Neil's latest blog that i found amusing...

Several days spent writing and recovering from travel. My dog is good, my bees are happy, I'm writing (scripts mostly), I'm eating healthy foods and walking and really life is enormously enjoyable and has very little in the way of adventures. The wildest thing I am doing currently is not shaving.

Matt Smith's debut episode of Doctor Who arrived on Saturday, and Maddy and I prepared to watch it. But Maddy, who is now fifteen and a half and has a driving permit, had gentlemen callers, three of, who were not going away. Eventually I wandered into the TV room and said "I'm putting on Doctor Who now, if nobody minds," and since they were all sort of affable and I was mad-eyed and unshaven and possibly dangerous, they said yes.

Maddy was mortified. She loves Doctor Who, but was certain it was the kind of thing that sixteen year old boys would hate, given that it was English and weird and, well, the kind of thing her dad liked. And she was worried that they wouldn't know what was going on.

I, on the other hand, knew that Steven Moffat had intended it as a good place to start, and was not worried.

The result was four people watching on the sofa, one of whom was deeply embarrassed by the whole affair (and, indeed, texted the young men with her on the sofa after twenty minutes, desperately apologising in case they weren't enjoying it). I loved the episode -- I'd spent some months telling people that Matt would be excellent (Admission: I'd seen his audition tapes and completely understood why he'd won the part) and that they should trust Mr Moffat -- and when the episode was done, I got up and thanked them and went into the office next door.

Two minutes later, a baffled but happy (and for the first time in 70 minutes, no longer embarrassed) Maddy shot in to the office to tell me that the gentleman callers had -- unbelievably -- liked it! And they had wanted to know if it was going to be on weekly, as they would like to come back and watch it again! Which left Maddy wondering which episodes she should show them to give them background on the show. Blink, and The Girl in the Fireplace, and Dalek, of course, but what else...

I did my best not to say "I told you so". Also did my best not to think it.

Now happily rewriting my episode to change it from being set at the end of this season to the beginning of the next. I think it'll be fun...
                    M

Comment

Good News Everyone in The US

the new Doctor Who for us starts 9/17 at 9pm thanks to the BBCA

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

yeah i loved the new episode. it was FANTASTIC. just a few things i didn't like. but other then that..cant wait till next episode

Comment

Or you can go to surfthechannel.com and find it there. Or if you torrent it.

It was a bloody brilliant episode, loved it but 2 things bothered me...

1. Geronimo.....

2. He said "wibbly wobbly timey wimey"....it is far too soon for him to be using David Tennant lines....far too soon. He was good mind you but it was the first 10 minutes of the bloody episode for gods sake...did not like that.

Other than that I thought it was great and that Matt Smith did a great job. Looking forward to the next episode and the rest of the series =)

Comment

Originally posted by LanternZar'roc1417 View Post
                            Or you can go to surfthechannel.com and find it there. Or if you torrent it.

It was a bloody brilliant episode, loved it but 2 things bothered me...

1. Geronimo.....

2. He said "wibbly wobbly timey wimey"....it is far too soon for him to be using David Tennant lines....far too soon. He was good mind you but it was the first 10 minutes of the bloody episode for gods sake...did not like that.

Other than that I thought it was great and that Matt Smith did a great job. Looking forward to the next episode and the rest of the series =)
                            oh yeah..meaning to say..i like your Sig Zar'roc.
                            and i didnt really mind #1.
                            but #2 was kinda upset me
                            ____
                            YaY!!!! DOCTOR WHO PARTY!!!!!!!

Comment

I actually didn't mind the two...

Ok, so Geronimo was a bit dodgy... but it was better than "Who da man!" lol

As for "Wibbly wobly timey wimey"... why can't he use it? He's basically the same character, same memories, same past... I don't see the problem with using his old lines again and putting a new spin on them...

M

Comment

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey" is a Steven Moffat thing... of course he's gonna use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X