"Nerd" ridicule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nerd" ridicule

Does anyone get this from friends, families, co workers, peers?

I have one book shelf filled with figures, and pick up books every week, order trades, and enjoy the hobby I've been involved in since December 1993 in Ventura, California with my third family. The first comic I ever read was Green Lantern #50, Volume Three, as we all know is Emerald Twilight. I've come in and out of the hobby from time to time, as most have.

Most people I know are accepting. It's a relatively cheap, easy hobby that is not invasive, intruding, or enveloping. I don't put it on to people, my girlfriend regularly flips through a book and picks me up stuff from time to time. She isn't into the hobby, but she supports it and is understanding. My twin brother (304) is into the same hobby yet his wife refers to us as "hardly functioning adults" due to the hobby.

What brought this along was my brother and girlfriend introduced me into The Big Bang Theory, which is a terrific program, and it's the one where Penny flips out during the time machine episode and calls the rest of the characters "pathetic." It encourages Leonard to get rid of his beloved collection, and he is pretty upset about the experience. Yes, it is fiction, but I think this would probably hit home with a lot of us.
    Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
    Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

My wife likes to kid me about my comics from time to time, but she doesn't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
      My wife likes to kid me about my comics from time to time, but she doesn't really care.
      That could be counted as endearment. I'm talking about snub-nosed holier-than-thou ridicule.
      Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
      Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

Comment

Originally posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
        That could be counted as endearment. I'm talking about snub-nosed holier-than-thou ridicule.
        I haven't really ever gotten any of that.

Mostly just like you said.....friends that don't read comics giving me good-natured grief.

Comment

I used to get it from my boss... but god bless her... she fired me.

..... I hope she fries.

Comment

^ That sucks.

I don't get ridicule by my wife, friends, family or co-workers, because most of them use to be interested in this stuff when they were younger. And now, with the comic book movies scoring big time at the box office, I get asked a lot of questions about comic books and whatnot.
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Not so much from my family (my sister collects Barbies) but my friends is a different story.

Comment

When at college I get it all the time. Usually comments range from "Why are you reading kid's stuff" or "you must be a moron to like comics" I dismiss elitist people

Comment

ive been called worse.... being called a nerd dosent effect me
                  .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

My wife jokes around with me, a coworker calls me one because I come on here, and have my name in kryptonian tattoed on my arm.

Comment

My wife loves my collections. Her view is that a lot of wives worry about their men chasing tail. I just chase Wednesdays.
                      Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                      Nor label his working day "cushy"
                      But you might have to question
                      His endless obsession
                      With superpositional pussy.

Comment

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

My litmus test for nerd is based on if it negatively affects your life. If you get pussy on a regular basis, who really gives a fuck if someone thinks you're a nerd? If you're married, have a girlfriend, or have the basic social skills to attract the opposite sex...then enjoy and embrace your inner geek. Screw everyone else.

Comment

My brother will rib me once in awhile, but I will respond that we are just two different breeds of nerd. I have my comics, action figures and cartoons, and he has his binders of sports trading cards and five different fantasy leagues.
                            Spider-Lantern
                            Corps Honor Guard
                            Last edited by Spider-Lantern; 06-05-2010, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                              ...have my name in kryptonian tattoed on my arm.
                              That sounds like a pretty sweet tattoo! I've always hung out with people with similar interest, so I've never really been given any guff over reading comics and such.

Well actually, I might have been laughed at a bit in high school. But for me that was a while ago...now I feel old.
                              "This is the strangest life I've ever known" The Doors
                              "What is this but my reflection, who am I to judge or strike you down?" TOOL
                              "I will move away from here, you won't be afraid of fear" Nirvana
                              "Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
                              *Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*

Comment

Working...
                              X