No announcement yet.

Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes the movie kind of takes you along these weird side plots but culminates in something extremely creepy and unsettling. You essentially follow along with this mental patient as he travels the country, randomly suffering though extreme psychotic bouts and outbursts of insanity, while also learning about a white bread family in FL, pretty much side by side. The killer makes it to the family's house in the end and has a stand off with a clever young boy who also seems a little touched in the head. There's a lot of gore and cheese in between to keep you interested. It's really an odd film the way it comes together. The psycho's nightmares and hallucinations are extremely graphic and unsettling.

I've seen Prophecy too, but remember almost nothing about it.
    BLACK HAND
    Green Lantern Initiate
    Last edited by BLACK HAND; 11-13-2017, 03:31 PM.
    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
      ...I've seen Prophecy too, but remember almost nothing about it.
      Yeah, I'll probably forget about it too within a few years (which is why I try to rate all these titles on Netflix even if I don't watch them from there). I think it's probably more memorable than it might deserve just because of the Native American angle (there's really not a whole lot of modern movies that depict those cultures let alone horror ones).
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Saw a headline about how "Get Out" is being categorized as "comedy" by the Golden Globes.

Humor that film may have, but I wouldn't call it a comedy.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Anybody here listen to the "Say You Love Satan" podcast? I got an advert for them with my last order from House of Mysterious Secrets, and since I never use my phone at work and hardly ever listen to podcasts at home, was curious about getting on-board with this series. (It's an '80s horror theme).
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Saw a headline about how "Get Out" is being categorized as "comedy" by the Golden Globes. .
            Just saw it. [Big Spoilers below in black]

It was very good. I can see how good horror movies often play on a common fear so this one was the discomfort of being a minority in a place alone.

I thought the power of the hypnotism was a bit unbelievable even given that the surgery was in the sci-fi realm. Also, why would granpa and granma be servants? Oh, and I thought the girlfriend being in on it was obvious right away, but that didn't detract from the film for me because it wasn't a rely-on-a-twist kind of movie.

Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 11-18-2017, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Just watched . . .

Leatherface (2017)

"You messed with the wrong family."

So, I went into this expecting little to nothing based on what I heard. My estimation is that this would have been an alright crazy-killers-escape-the-asylum movie if they just hadn't made it a TCM origins movie.

One problem is that the movie works on the premise that one of three patients could be the former Jed Sawyer/future Leatherface (they're renamed in the institution), but I knew from the first seconds of their intro, which it would be and the poster blows one of the suspects.

The major problem is that we get way too much characterization and motivation for Leatherface and I think much of it doesn't work with the usual understanding of him.

Comment

• You're a better man than me Charlie Brown. I gave up on the TCM series and relegated it to head canon status with Hellraiser, Highlander, Jaws and a few other formerly beloved franchises. With this one, have you seen them all now? If you have, how would you rank them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  You're a better man than me Charlie Brown. I gave up on the TCM series and relegated it to head canon status with Hellraiser, Highlander, Jaws and a few other formerly beloved franchises. With this one, have you seen them all now?
                  I have and I own all but this one. [That puts me in a dilemma too because I kind of hate the idea of owning 7/8 of the franchise, but I don't know if I'd watch this again.]

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  If you have, how would you rank them?
                  That's really tough. I can fairly safely say #1 is the best and this is the worst. Some of them, like #3 and 4, are pretty bad, but I get a kind of campy fun from.

Off the top of my head, real fast, I'd say

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
                  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
                  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
                  Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
                  Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
                  Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)*
                  Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation**
                  Leatherface (2017)

*This one had some fun bits and I like the idea of a Sawyer coming into the family, but it has a plot hole so bad, it's really hard to get over.
                  **This one is bats**t crazy and way off the usual TCM, but as an experimental thing and as a time capsule with two Academy Award winners before they were respectable.

Comment

• Worse than part 4! My lord!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      Worse than part 4! My lord!
                      It's always a bad idea to take an awesome, mysterious cinematic villain and explain away their origins in a prequel. *cough*

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        It's always a bad idea to take an awesome, mysterious cinematic villain and explain away their origins in a prequel. *cough*
                        Touche...

Comment

• Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think it was Texas Chainsaw (2013) that I was rather fond of, assuming I have the right story where an unbeknownst Sawyer girl inherits a mansion, finds out who's in the basement, some douche lord cop has a fight with said basement guy, and at the very end, the adoptive parents have a surprise waiting for them at the front door....

Right movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think it was Texas Chainsaw (2013) that I was rather fond of, assuming I have the right story where an unbeknownst Sawyer girl inherits a mansion, finds out who's in the basement, some douche lord cop has a fight with said basement guy, and at the very end, the adoptive parents have a surprise waiting for them at the front door....

Right movie?
                            Yep. I actually like the movie overall. It's just that the girl was supposed to be adopted in the 70s and she's like 20 in 2013. You could assume that it only looks like it, but I remember they make some explicit reference that makes the timeline impossible and then I heard someone review it say the same thing.

But, yeah, the story and the ending in particular were decent.

EDIT: Here's what IMDb has:

The movie takes place in 2012. In the opening scene, set in 1973, Heather is a baby. This would make Heather at least 39 years old throughout the rest of the film. However, her character is obviously much younger than that (her actress, Alexandra Daddario, was only 25 at the time of filming).

The characters of Sheriff Hooper and Burt Hartman are in the 1973-set opening scene. 39 years later, neither character appears to have aged a day.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Ahh, that settles it then. My memory is still actively responsive. Yay for me! Lol

Ok, so I'm taking a break from the gaming world for a bit and need some movie recommendations. Sea horror, monsters, supernatural, etc......you know the drill, boys. Chop CHOP!

Comment

• ^I forget, did you see The Void? That's very Lovecraftian.

Below, you'll see my review for 1979's The Prophecy. That would probably fit the bill in a sense.

I recently saw and liked Q: The Winged Serpent, but if you see that discussion in Last Film, you'll see it's not a beloved movie.

I also recently watched 1991's The Runestone. It wasn't great, but it was kind of fun and is about a Norse-mythology-based creature monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X