Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stepping into Cosplay - (and I have a question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepping into Cosplay - (and I have a question)

Hey all! I'm going to my first Con soon and I decided that now is as good of a time as ever to step into the World of Cosplay. I've always loved it and though I suck at doing all the amazing things they do on the RPF, I figured I could try to put something together on short notice.

Anyhow, I recently bought a Jayne Cobb "Troublemaker" ringer which I wore on New Year's Eve, as pictured (along with my Smorkin' Labbit):

This gave me the divine inspiration to cosplay Jayne for the Con. >_> So instead of just wearing the shirt, I decided to have a corset made in the style of the Troublemaker Ringer. Here's a shot of the corset which I haven't received, otherwise I'd definitely have tried it on by now, lol.

(If the color seems off it's because I didn't correct the color from the photos and the pic of me wearing it was taken with YouCam - ie: not the best in terms of picture quality.)

So in Serenity, Jayne basically wears the shirt with I don't know, a belt with a bunch of pouches, some beige/tan cargo pants, combat boots, gloves, and is strapped with guns. So I had about 3 weeks to put this all together and I got a good amount of it:

It's not exact, but I figure it gets the point across. Next time I have the chance to cosplay, I might try getting the belt right (as in the pouches etc.) and making Vera or or whatnot, but what I gathered should do just fine. Though...I didn't get the Cunning Hat. I dunno, everyone wears the Cunning Hat when they cosplay Jayne, and I didn't think the Cunning Hat goes with this particular outfit.

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I get the Cunning Hat? (lol)

2) I've got a 3-day VIP pass to the Con, and plan on going all three days. Since I only had time to put together one mostly polished-enough outfit to be considered "cosplay", my question is: What is the proper etiquette on wearing cosplay? Should I only wear it one out of the three days? Or can I wear it for two days? (I definitely don't want to wear it all three - I've got kind of a Tim Drake "Robin" casual cosplay I can wear on the least busy day. (Basically a "Robin-style" shirt, leather black shorts, and either dark red or black tights with boots)

Any experienced cosplayers out there have any advice?

Also, I'm going to have another corset made, eventually, in either the Tim Drake Robin style, the 1966 (Adam West) Robin style, or possibly the New 52 Jason Todd Red Hood style (he's back to wearing the bat symbol under his jacket). Which one do you guys think would look best made into a corset? (Obviously it'd be paired with a whole outfit so I'd at least have 2 cosplays to turn to, should the need arise.)

I can't wait to go to the con! Hopefully I'll have some pics to post afterwards, hee.
    "Candy is Dandy, but Liquor is Quicker"

I think it's an awesome idea. Jayne is DA-MAN. and the costume idea is looking damn good. The only issues I see are the guns. I would go to the con's website and read up on their policy for guns with cos-play. most are really strict about not having such lifelike guns with costumes. But everything else, the corset, the pant's, the belt, the leather strap on the wrist is dead-on Jayne.

I've been to a lot of con's. and from my experience, you try to wear your outfit as much as possible. Especially on the first day, get there early and walk around a lot. be seen in it by as many people as you can. So they start identify you with that costume. after the first day. wear it most in the evening hours when the con is in full swing.

As for the hat, Nah, such nice hair shouldn't be covered up by a hat.

and definitely go with Jason Todd. his costume is way better the Burt Ward's

Which con is this for?
    Blue Lantern
    Green Lantern Initiate
    Last edited by Blue Lantern; 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I'd say wear it as much as you're comfortable with. As long as you don't get it dirty (ripeness shouldn't be a problem since it's all outerwear and doesn't look sweat-inducing), it shouldn't be a problem. I'd also skip the cap just because it makes it too easy. At least this way the Firefly fans have to think for a few seconds.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, brotatoes! I just got my corset in the mail today along with some of the other stuff, so I'll have to snap a couple of pics of it on, once I figure out how to get into the damn thing. LOL.

Okay, cool - I wasn't sure if it was bad to wear the same cosplay multiple days, but now that I know that's what a lot of people do, I feel better about only having one costume ready go to. It's for the Amazing Arizona Comic Con. I know it's not the biggest (and goddamn-it, I WILL make it to SDCC one of these years!) but I figure it's large enough that Stan Lee and Jim Lee will both be there, and from the pictures there's plenty of people who cosplay. I thought I'd dip my toes into the shallow end of the pool, so to speak.

I agree about the Cunning Hat - I was just going to wear my hair down or pull it back into a half-up, half-down bun thing, but that's neither here nor there.

I am warming up to the thought of my version of a Jason Todd/Red Hood cosplay, sometime in the future, with a corset made in the style of the armor that Jason wears under his jacket (with the Bat symbol). I don't know if I'd do the whole headgear...maybe a domino mask. Anyway, that's way off - if I make it to SDCC one of these years, I'll step up the game with the Jayne Cosplay and then maybe think about a second outfit.

Have you guys cosplayed? Have any pics to share?
        Lassroyale
        Sinestro's Sparring Partner
        Last edited by Lassroyale; 01-24-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I think I might be the forum cosplay whore. XD

Comment

Originally posted by Zander Yurami View Post
            LOL, well then I'll make sure to come to you to brush up on my cosplay etiquette. I actually think that we might make it to SDCC 2013 this year (I just signed up for my Membership ID, so I'm not positive if tickets have gone on sale yet?) and if we decide to go, I'm for sure going to refine my Jayne cosplay and think up a new one.

Four days in the same outfit seems like it could get a little rank. As mentioned I was leaning towards Jason Todd/Red Hood, BUT my husband just suggested maybe I try to do some sort of take on a Lady Punisher outfit.

I think a really cool corset could be made with the Punisher skull, but the question is: Classic Punisher or like Thomas Jayne Punisher for the rest of the outfit?

*ponders*

Comment

Originally posted by Lassroyale View Post
              ...Have you guys cosplayed? Have any pics to share?
              Well, not exactly. I only wear off-the rack stuff because of my lack of skill (see below). When I was a teen I used to wear a GL shirt and rings with a combo of black clothes at cons. I have an Original Series Star Trek blue shirt and communicator I sometimes wear to Trek events. Otherwise, it's mostly been Neo-Victorian (semi-steampunk) getups like in my profile pic. That stuff is warm, which is inconvenient since most cons are late Spring, early Summer (hence my thoughts about freshness).

Originally posted by Zander Yurami View Post
              Well, you actually have skills. That's part of the reason I don't seriously cosplay. I to couldn't sew (or any other artistic use of scissors, glues, etc) to save my life. I wish I could. I'd love to do something really obscure or off-the-wall for the next Godzilla con, like this guy:

Comment

LOL, well then I'll make sure to come to you to brush up on my cosplay etiquette. I actually think that we might make it to SDCC 2013 this year (I just signed up for my Membership ID, so I'm not positive if tickets have gone on sale yet?) and if we decide to go, I'm for sure going to refine my Jayne cosplay and think up a new one.
                Badges have not gone on sale yet for SDCC. For SDCC info., you can check THIS thread. We try to stay on top of things, well, other than me complaining all the time.

As someone that's cosplayed at SDCC, NYCC and ECCC, I'll say there really is no cosplay etiquette. Like that old Digital Underground song says, "Do what cha' like." More than anything, it's all about having fun, keeping a positive attitude and enjoying the attention, especially when folks want to take pics with you. Just check out the SDCC 2012 blog in my signature. If I recall correctly, I believe I delved into that topic a smidge. In addition, there are plenty of cosplay pics of me and a few others from this forum.

I hope you get tickets to SDCC 2013. We started an annual SDCC meet-up at the Tilted Kilt. We got a pretty good turn-out last year. It would be nice to meet you and hang out and "BS and party and BS and party."

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                  Badges have not gone on sale yet for SDCC. For SDCC info., you can check THIS thread. We try to stay on top of things, well, other than me complaining all the time.

As someone that's cosplayed at SDCC, NYCC and ECCC, I'll say there really is no cosplay etiquette. Like that old Digital Underground song says, "Do what cha' like." More than anything, it's all about having fun, keeping a positive attitude and enjoying the attention, especially when folks want to take pics with you. Just check out the SDCC 2012 blog in my signature. If I recall correctly, I believe I delved into that topic a smidge. In addition, there are plenty of cosplay pics of me and a few others from this forum.

I hope you get tickets to SDCC 2013. We started an annual SDCC meet-up at the Tilted Kilt. We got a pretty good turn-out last year. It would be nice to meet you and hang out and "BS and party and BS and party."
                  I'll definitely be watching that thread so I can hopefully know fairly quickly when the badges will be available to buy online. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

So basically what you're saying, is that by cosplaying I will have hot women draping their scantily clad selves all over me, as if they were a fine mink shawl? SWEET! I can't wait.

LOL. ANYWAY - I perused your very comprehensive SDCC 2012 coverage, and omg...you know, it actually slipped my mind that people could want pictures and stuff. I've got a love/hate relationship with the camera as it is, lol. Well, cosplaying a genderbent Jayne Cobb isn't too extraordinary, methinks (not like Morpheus!) and the Con I'm going to is definitely smaller than SDCC or many of the others, so I could fly under the radar... If there's at least a Star Sapphire and a Poison Ivy there, I should be okay and remain ambiguous (what with all the acres of flesh that'd be on display.) I am totally not confident enough to try and slut up a variation of some character's outfit (for some reason I really want to cosplay genderbent versions of male characters). At least not right now.

Still I suppose I should at least try to look my best and make sure my make-up doesn't run and all that.

Y'know, looking through your pictures and seeing your run-in's and seeing photos of other people's run-in's with celebrities, makes me think about what people do or how weird it must be to run into the very celebrity who's character you are cosplaying. I mean, if I were to run into Adam Baldwin, first off I'd have to fight the urge to climb him like a tree stare at him like this:

...though that'd still probably happen. LOL. Even if it was ASkars. Hell, especially if it was ASkars - that man is SIN on two legs. Ahem.

I'm happy there's not this staunch set of cosplayer rules or something for regular people. I'm sure the professional cosplayers hold themselves to an entirely different set of standards. I mean, jesus, where do those people find the time to create such amazing costumes?!
                  Lassroyale
                  Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                  Last edited by Lassroyale; 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I'll definitely be watching that thread so I can hopefully know fairly quickly when the badges will be available to buy online. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
                    No prob, lil' lady. If you're a Facebook or Twitter head, you're better off following SDCC there as the information processes are much faster.

So basically what you're saying, is that by cosplaying I will have hot women draping their scantily clad selves all over me, as if they were a fine mink shawl? SWEET! I can't wait.
                    Pretty much. You're an attractive lady, so you'd probably get a lot of dudes wanting to take pics with you. The big thing is to be accessible. Being cordial and taking a pic with someone can make or break their day. For me, I enjoy being able to put a smile on someone's face. It's funny- a good deal of people just want to shake my hand and tell me my costume is great. Just smile and be appreciative.

I've got a love/hate relationship with the camera as it is, lol. Well, cosplaying a genderbent Jayne Cobb isn't too extraordinary, methinks (not like Morpheus!) and the Con I'm going to is definitely smaller than SDCC or many of the others, so I could fly under the radar... If there's at least a Star Sapphire and a Poison Ivy there, I should be okay and remain ambiguous (what with all the acres of flesh that'd be on display.) I am totally not confident enough to try and slut up a variation of some character's outfit (for some reason I really want to cosplay genderbent versions of male characters). At least not right now.
                    Love/hate relationship? Please! In your short span, you have more pics on this forum than me! BTW, if you "slut up" a costume, you're apt to get even more attention from the masses... and the whole point of cosplay is to be seen, not fly under the radar. If you got it, flaunt it! (That was a quote from Guy Gardner when fighting the Tattooed Man, for you old fogies.)

Y'know, looking through your pictures and seeing your run-in's and seeing photos of other people's run-in's with celebrities, makes me think about what people do or how weird it must be to run into the very celebrity who's character you are cosplaying. I mean, if I were to run into Adam Baldwin, first off I'd have to fight the urge to climb him like a tree stare at him...
                    I really don't think I would be star-struck if I happened to run into Laurence Fishburne or anyone else at a con. I think of celebs as normal, every day people, although it would be beyond cool to get a snapshot of the two of us together while in costume... and now that I give it more thought, if I happened to run into Melanie Iglesias, I think I might studder just a bit.

I'm happy there's not this staunch set of cosplayer rules or something for regular people. I'm sure the professional cosplayers hold themselves to an entirely different set of standards. I mean, jesus, where do those people find the time to create such amazing costumes?!
                    Not really. Well-known west coast cosplayer Valerie Perez is a professional that designs her own costumes and such, and she's the most down to Earth person you could meet. At cons, she takes time out to advise people on cosplay and even has her own panels on the subject at some of the larger shows. She advised me on where to buy armor for cosplay and even gave me tips on how to relieve my aching dogs after walking around a crowded convention floor all day... and most cosplayer pros have OTHER people to make their costumes.

Comment

No prob, lil' lady. If you're a Facebook or Twitter head, you're better off following SDCC there as the information processes are much faster.
                      I do follow along on Facebook, so I've got my finger on at least one of the major pulse points. I used to do the twit thing just to follow the ridiculous tweets of Misha Collins, but then I started getting all these followers/people on my feed and I had no idea what the hell anyone was talking about at any given time, lol, so I sort of just wandered away from the chaos, tenuously controlled in 140 characters or less.

I finally relented and have been trying out the Tumblr thing - the jury's still out on that one.

Pretty much. You're an attractive lady, so you'd probably get a lot of dudes wanting to take pics with you. The big thing is to be accessible. Being cordial and taking a pic with someone can make or break their day. For me, I enjoy being able to put a smile on someone's face. It's funny- a good deal of people just want to shake my hand and tell me my costume is great. Just smile and be appreciative.
                      LMAO - "With (somewhat) great Cosplay comes great responsibility." Oh man, I'd pay someone to cosplay this...hero, and his emo haircut and angsting, angsty little heart.

Love/hate relationship? Please! In your short span, you have more pics on this forum than me!
                      *gasp* Hush now...I'm certain that I have no idea as to what you are referring to, my dear gentleman. Mercy me! O_-

Eh heh... lol. Really though, thanks for all the great advice! I'm really excited to see what it's all about.

Comment

I think of celebs as normal, every day people
                        Yes normal people voluntarily abandon all privacy because of their everyday normal job and then bitch and moan like pansy ass retards when they can't any privacy. Normal people spend millions upon millions to get married and then divorce within a year or two.

Celebs are not normal they are abnormal, insane, & hypocrites, just to name a few things wrong with them in the head.

I pity them, you have to be seriously fucked up in the head to put up with the bullshit they voluntarily sign up for.
                        Originally posted by fearless2814.1
                        ...You're a chore, you know that? You are a chore.

Comment

Wow...I would ask who pissed in your cereal this morning, but you are always this little ball of dumbfuckery.

Anyways...

Lassroyale: If ya ever need help or just advice, hit me up.

Comment

Get the Cunning Hat. Don't wear it with this cosplay. Just get it. It's comfy. And warm. And everybody should have one.
                            [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                            DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid Lantern View Post
                              Yes normal people voluntarily abandon all privacy because of their everyday normal job and then bitch and moan like pansy ass retards when they can't any privacy. Normal people spend millions upon millions to get married and then divorce within a year or two.

Celebs are not normal they are abnormal, insane, & hypocrites, just to name a few things wrong with them in the head.

I pity them, you have to be seriously fucked up in the head to put up with the bullshit they voluntarily sign up for.
                              Damn... and here I thought I was an angry poster. Learn to use the dark side of the Force.

...and I disagree with you on this. Celebs are normal people that are pampered, which makes them become headcases (i.e. Lindsay Lohan). Not all of them are like that, particularly the ones that come from humble backgrounds.

If I had to choose, I'd rather be a celeb earning 50x what I make now and gladly sacrifice my privacy for sweet paydays and a better lifestyle for me and my family... but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X