Which GL Will DIE?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which GL Will DIE?!?

Hal is in 'The Green Lantern' relaunch. John is in Justice League. Cruz is in JL: Odyssey. And lastly (and thankfully) Kyle is hanging with Donna Troy in another form of Titans.

Ladies and gentlemen that only leaves two GL's that could be the dead Lantern in Heroes in Crisis. Could it be the end of Baz, something many of us have asked for? Or will Guy finally meet his end (again, lol)?!

Place your bets.

I'm hoping its Baz to further cement the end of the Geoff Johns era of the mainstream DCU. DC's stable includes the more than capable writing talents of King, Snyder, Bendis, and Morrison.... I can't wait to see what happens in the near future post-HiC and post-Doomsday Clock.

Guy
    9.09%
    Baz
    63.64%
    Other (who else could it be?)
    27.27%

I dont want to live in a world where Guy Gardner is dead, and Bazarataz is allowed to go on.

Comment

Are we sure Geoff has absolutely no power or sway on the comics anymore? Then Baz.

Comment

If Kyle is safe then Baz is the only GL without Plot Armor. Baz and Jessica have had several comics devoted to their back stories, etc. So Baz taking a bullet is not such a big deal now.

Comment

It needs to happen, Baz was a desperate attempt to infuse political controversy and diversity into Green Lantern (already the most diverse team in comics, I mean there are stinking aliens) and it just didn't work. Maybe if he was a bit more grounded and less of an attempt to be "extreme"...with a gun and hood...urgh...then maybe he would have resonated a bit, but overall he's just not an interesting character. Definitely not someone who should have a power ring for that matter. The most interesting thing they can do for him is kill him haha.
          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Even if Baz didn't suck, I doubt he would have gotten over with readers. For the simple reason alone that there were already too many human Green Lantern characters before he and Jessica were added to an already crowded cast of characters without the demand for enough spotlight for all of them. Even if he was really relatable for readers ( and let's be honest, he isn't), he would still have been at the back of a very long line.

Honestly, I think 3 is the magic number.

Comment

Even if Baz didn't suck, I doubt he would have gotten over with readers. For the simple reason alone that there were already too many human Green Lantern characters before he and Jessica were added to an already crowded cast of characters without the demand for enough spotlight for all of them. Even if he was really relatable for readers ( and let's be honest, he isn't), he would still have been at the back of a very long line.

Honestly, I think 3 is the magic number.

Comment

Heroes In Crisis is still running too. Maybe we'll get lucky and more than one GL will be killed off with the housekeeping being done there. Take Baz and Cruz.

Comment

Looking back on things, Guy Gardner is pretty awesome, and I think he's a great character to have around. He hasn't been that great to me lately (I don't really care that much for him from the Johns era and after, I've realized), but back in the '80s and early 90s, a lot of cool stuff was done with him. It would be a travesty if DC axed him and left Baz, who I see as utterly worthless.

I'll be honest, I do miss the days when it was Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner. I've been reading some old Gerard Jones comics lately, and I think those three characters played off of and complimented each other really well. Say what you will about Jones (and I certainly won't defend him), I do believe he wrote some of the strongest stuff Green Lantern has had, and regardless of whatever else, I won't take that away from him.

Things have gotten way out of hand with the number of GLs these days, and all the characters suffer for it.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-16-2018, 06:27 AM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    Looking back on things, Guy Gardner is pretty awesome, and I think he's a great character to have around. He hasn't been that great to me lately (I don't really care that much for him from the Johns era and after, I've realized), but back in the '80s and early 90s, a lot of cool stuff was done with him. It would be a travesty if DC axed him and left Baz, who I see as utterly worthless.

I'll be honest, I do miss the days when it was Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner. I've been reading some old Gerard Jones comics lately, and I think those three characters played off of and complimented each other really well. Say what you will about Jones (and I certainly won't defend him), I do believe he wrote some of the strongest stuff Green Lantern has had, and regardless of whatever else, I won't take that away from him.

Things have gotten way out of hand with the number of GLs these days, and all the characters suffer for it.
                    I agree with all that. Adding Kyle was a blunder but it's too late to undo that, so putting him in Titans is the best solution.

To me the best era of GL was with Hal, Guy and John -- Englehart through Jones. My biggest beef with Johns is that he depicted himself as the greet restorer, but in fact he didn't respect anything that any previous writer had done.
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

even if they kill one or the other they'll be back by next year so what's the point

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
                        even if they kill one or the other they'll be back by next year so what's the point
                        That's true. They're not killing Baz or Cruz, or even the teen Lantern, for keeps. The only way to get rid of them is to give them non-Lantern roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                          I agree with all that. Adding Kyle was a blunder but it's too late to undo that, so putting him in Titans is the best solution.

To me the best era of GL was with Hal, Guy and John -- Englehart through Jones. My biggest beef with Johns is that he depicted himself as the greet restorer, but in fact he didn't respect anything that any previous writer had done.
                          I more or less agree with that, too. Englehart to Jones is my favorite era, by far, barring that little period of time in Action Comics Weekly. I think moving Green Lantern over to that title was a big mistake, and I don't think I liked anything that happened there.

About Kyle Rayner... he's a mixed bag for me. I think that the quality of the Green Lantern book went way down hill near the end of Jones' run, likely due to Jones and Dooley having a poor working relationship. When Kyle Rayner came on board, the book got a lot better, at least while Ron Marz was writing it. I don't agree with a lot of what Marz/Dooley/editorial did, but I will admit that the quality of comic went considerably up compared to what Jones was doing at the time.

However, in the long run, I'm not sure if bringing in Kyle Rayner and destroying the Corps and all that other stuff was a wise decision. That was the start of when the fanbase seriously started to fracture, from what I can tell. Of course, a lot of that has to do with how it was all done, with Emerald Twilight and all, but I believe part of the "problem" has to do with Kyle Rayner's story being so disconnected from what had been going on, for better or worse.

Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart are/were really entwined with each other, so they kind of shared the same story. For example, Hal, Carol, and John all worked at Ferris Aircraft, and Hal, John, and Guy were all together in the Green Lantern Corps in the Englehart book. I mean, they often wound up sharing or trading girlfriends. That sounds really weird as I type it out, but... the Kyle Rayner stuff, again, for better or worse, was like something totally different.

Anyway, now you have fans of that Marz era who feel disenfranchised because Jade, Radu, and New York are never around anymore. So more people that are difficult to make happy.
                          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

There's a longstanding assumption at DC that more Green Lanterns = more Green Lantern fans. But it hasn't worked out that way at all.

What it's done is to cut the camera time for the older Lanterns and therefore pissed off their fans, and to bring in a few people who like the new characters but who won't stick around for the long haul.

Sorta like how a lot of rabid fanboys of Johns inflated Green Lantern's sales for a while but left as soon as he did because they never cared about the property.
                            Trey Strain
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

It's my hope that if TheGL does well that the editors will have more of an idea what to do with the other characters to rebuild the franchise. Don't worry about interconnecting a ton of shit like Geoff did, just have two or three books with their own look and feel and let the creators have a little freedom. Maybe have a multi-issue crossover once a year on the anniversary issues or whatever and that's it.

Guy, Kyle, and John all deserve better. And when DC constantly throws talent and promotional space away on new Catwoman, Batgirl, Robin [ANY Bat-sidekick really...], and those New52 Earth 2 books.... it's almost insulting.

If DC really wanted to push a cosmic title like JL:O they should've made a GL like John the leader rather than Cyborg.

As to who may be taking the bullet.... GUY APPEARS IN DAMAGE #10-12!!! Since I'm apparently the only one reading that series LOL

Baz is a goner.

Ωmega Man
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Ωmega Man; 11-17-2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X