Far Sector #1 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: N.K. Jemisin
    Artist: Jamal Campbell

50.00%
    0.00%
    25.00%
    25.00%
    0.00%

Am I the only one who thinks those weird, green sunglasses look ridiculous? The rest of the uniform seems good, but those are just silly.

Comment

Yes, you're the only one.

This feels like a pop star's music video. But I can't wait to read it. Embarrassingly, I thought this was a graphic novel not a monthly mini.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this. Maybe it will be a breath of fresh air or maybe it will be something I don't need to pick up again.

Comment

This is different than the new "hacker" GL, right? Which one is that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            This is different than the new "hacker" GL, right? Which one is that one?
            Teen Lantern is Keli Quintela and so far she's only in Young Justice. Last issue was her origin. They made it clear what she has isn't a proper GL ring/battery, but that's how she got it and they haven't yet revealed how that guy [now dead] got it.

Comment

Sounds like this COULD become canon:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/g...ern-far-sector

Comment

I find it very telling that, when she said she would need to bone up on the character, what they sent her were only collections of Geoff Johns' GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  I find it very telling that, when she said she would need to bone up on the character, what they sent her were only collections of Geoff Johns' GL.
                  Eugh. It saddens me that there's a generation (or two?) that all they know is Geoff Johns' stuff. And now they keep propagating it.

Comment

So, I liked (not loved) Far Sector #1. I'm curious about how her ring is different.

The premise of a far sector (it's a little much that she doesn't know the number) negates the orange wedge/pie slice view of the sectors that I thought was cannon now (because no sector is closer or farther).

The character's little jab of equating "presidential elections" with the rise of the Nazis and the genocide in Rwanda was silly, but technically she didn't say what election.

The world building is interesting---emotionless, nearly crime-free multi-species world. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                      Eugh. It saddens me that there's a generation (or two?) that all they know is Geoff Johns' stuff. And now they keep propagating it.
                      That's true of many of the writers too.

Venditti eventually read some of the earlier material, but he said in the beginning that he has only read the Johns issues. Which was probably why he got the job.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-14-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

The premise of a far sector (it's a little much that she doesn't know the number) negates the orange wedge/pie slice view of the sectors that I thought was cannon now (because no sector is closer or farther).
                        Sounds kind of like the setup in the Animated Series. “Frontier Lanterns “ I think they called them. Didn’t seem to have Sector numbers either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          Sounds kind of like the setup in the Animated Series. “Frontier Lanterns “ I think they called them. Didn’t seem to have Sector numbers either.
                          That's exactly what I thought when I read that. So the only way to redeem this comic is to have Interceptor II (with LAMO) show up with other GLs, or for Razer and Aya to arrive. Switching the comic from the comic universe to the animated universe.

Comment

I liked this, felt like there have been a lot of cookie cutter type GL stories in the last few years and this like Morrison's run felt fresh, albeit in a completely different way than the main book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                              I liked this, felt like there have been a lot of cookie cutter type GL stories in the last few years and this like Morrison's run felt fresh, albeit in a completely different way than the main book.
                              Yep. This one is easier to comprehend than Morrison's stuff. There are unanswered questions, but you definitely get the feeling they're going to be answered by the end (as opposed to Morrison's purposeful cryptic stuff and deep diving, which is also fine) and so far I'm on board for that.

The alien world is nicely different but with that Silver-Age sense of having real-world counterparts like the the essentially Twitter alien species. That kind of thing is fun.

The main character needs more developing, but I assume that's coming. I do like that she's not perfect---she does forensics like most of us would; with the kind of knowledge you'd get from news articles and TV shows, but no more.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else is reading it. It would be nice to get back to conversations on new GL books here.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 11-15-2019, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X