Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$169 bucks at the comic store this week?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read this thread when Spy bumped it and had to laugh. I can't believe I was ever spending that much, so often. I still have a few comics from last summer to November in my nightstand I haven't got to. I dropped the GL titles at the end of November and haven't gone back.

Instead I've been spending a ton of money on vintage Planet Of The Apes and finishing my vintage Star Wars collections. Even those are done but they were making me happy. I'm just not going to spend money on things that don't anymore.

I guess the hardest part was coming to terms with the fact that the Green Lantern franchise just doesn't make me happy like it did for so many decades.

Comment

I went to visit a friend who lives near two big comic shops. I did a little better this year as I only spent $65. However, that was after a long internal war over whether to drop $100 on a Flash Icons statue. That wasn't easy to pass up.
      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Man I spend 20 bucks on average in comic shop on a weekly basis, most of the time less than that. I try to keep it reasonable, only way I'm able to read everything week to week.
        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          I got the softcover of GL volume 6, the hardcover for GL vol 7. And the big one was the Geoff Johns GL vol 3. That was over a hundred bucks alone after my discount. The omnibus will stay in shrinkwrap with the other two Geoff Johns GL omnibuses..es on my GL bookcase for a few years.

Comment

Ha! And they are STILL in shrinkwrap!

Comment

Over a year ago I sold off all of my lantern stuff that wasnt green. All of those rainbow brigade figures that were clogging my GL wall are now gone. And I have no regrets. I didn't want that crap dirtying my collection anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                Over a year ago I sold off all of my lantern stuff that wasnt green. All of those rainbow brigade figures that were clogging my GL wall are now gone. And I have no regrets. I didn't want that crap dirtying my collection anymore.
                I still have all those figures on display and I like a lot of them, but there is a part of me thinking they're taking up a lot of real estate I could be using for other stuff.

Comment

It was liberating getting rid of a lot of it. I can almost SEE my GL shrine now. Before it was like a ton of boxes and stacks of merch blocking my GL wall on the floor like debris aftet a landslide. Too much.

Comment

Collecting is an interesting thing. We've been trained that the object is to "catch'em all," but that can also lead to a pitfall in spending money on a bunch of stuff you don't like, but feel obliged to get. Once you're there, the powers that be will prey upon you. Green Lantern is a really good example. They kept (and keep) spamming more Lanterns to prey upon you with more merchandise. Its the same philosophy as all those variant covers.

See, the way they get you is this:

They start off doing cool stuff, and you like all of it. You wind up loving it, so you buy everything you can get your hands on with that brand.

They keep doing pretty good stuff, put out more merchandise and your collection grows as you continue buying it.

The company realizes they have a loyal fanbase that will follow them around, so they stop valuing them. They don't have to hunt for your dollar anymore, because you come hunting them. You are the pursuer now.

The company realizes this and abuses you and their IP. Now they milk it buy spamming product at you. And you buy it. Why should they put in any actual effort when you will buy what they make regardless? They can increase their profits just by spamming product because you will buy all of it, regardless of quality.

You don't like what you're seeing, but you've come this far in your collecting. You can't just stop. You've developed some minor form of OCD. And so you keep buying.

It's a vicious cycle that takes effort to break. The trick is to collect only stuff you like. That's the ONLY stuff you need to keep track of. Not the other garbage just because it has a name on it. That's how companies wind up devaluing their properties. They just spam stuff out there in an attempt to prey upon their audiences. I'm surprised at how shortsighted some of these executives are sometimes, because there are plenty of examples of this cycle. Maybe they intentionally do this, so they can drive a property in the ground and strip mine it. Then they can let it sit for some years and do a revival that acknowledges the mistakes of the past and promises to go back to how things were in the old days of when the property was good, and then hopefully make billions of dollars on the revival. I dunno'.
                    Star-Lantern
                    Weaponer of Qward
                    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-27-2018, 09:24 PM.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

This guy will be hard for anybody to top.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/x-me...002431607.html

Comment

Working...
                      X