No announcement yet.

Would you be OK with DC Comics ending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be OK with DC Comics ending?

I mean, altogether. Let's say in 4-5 years, DC comics announces they're shuttering all comics publishing -- even digitally. They're just stepping away from that altogether to focus on "larger" mediums. Maybe with some truly final Crisis event and then poof, that's it... no more DC comics ever again.

Good? Bad? Inevitable?
    Yes
    28.57%
    Only if things continue getting worse
    0.00%
    No
    71.43%
    I don't care anymore
    0.00%

I think the main JLA characters should always be in print. I would like to see them maybe get more heavy into animation. Move away from everything being Batman/Superman. I hear them say they want to be a "life style Brand"
    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Ever again? I don't see a world where they wouldn't eventually bring back Batman or Superman comics in any shape or form.

Comment

Even if DC was adamant, it would only be a matter of time before Dynamite or IDW or whatever would purchase the license to make new comics.

Comment

Marvel needs to look at buying DC Entertainment.

Comment

I personally would be OK with it. That doesn't mean I think it should happen, or that I'm going to advocate for it to end.

It just means that, from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd be OK with it going away. I'd still have my old books. I'd save a bit of money without any fear of missing out on anything. I still care about the characters (some of them, anyway), but haven't been so impressed with anything lately that I feel like it is an addition to the story of those characters that I'd miss if it were gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              I personally would be OK with it. That doesn't mean I think it should happen, or that I'm going to advocate for it to end.

It just means that, from a purely selfish standpoint, I'd be OK with it going away. I'd still have my old books. I'd save a bit of money without any fear of missing out on anything. I still care about the characters (some of them, anyway), but haven't been so impressed with anything lately that I feel like it is an addition to the story of those characters that I'd miss if it were gone.
              This. I don't want it to end, but if DC was gone, likr 4/5 of my comics would be done and I'd probably give up going to the LCS. But I could always read my back issues.

Comment

I would totally be fine with it. DC hasn't been in the business of making good comics in a decade, and they stopped trying to raise the bar at least 25 years ago.

My inner compulsive collector would also be very thrilled to be able to walk away from the hobby with my collections complete, and knowing I had outlived the hobby. Part of me doesn't want to have my childhood favorites continue after me, getting worse and worse as the years go by.

The end of print comics is coming soon. Brace yourselves for it. Once DC or Marvel go, the other will follow soon after.

Comment

It's clear that something has to change.The tricks of yesteryear won't work anymore. No matter how many alt covers you do.The good new is people still love these characters. they want to buy Toys,play video games,and see movies with them. If these things are done well enough I feel that comics can still sell as well.

In a age where kids text instead of talk I have a hard time believing you can't get them to read.
                  Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I don't think it matters what they change now and they are past the point of no return.

Comment

The problem with comics today is you can't buy them like you used to at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. And the majority aren't even aimed at kids but instead adults and SJW's they seem to want to cater to. And they cost way more than they should!

The industry was built on the nickles and dimes of children in the 30's and 40's, and the medium NEEDS DESPERATELY to make them more all ages and affordable. There's a place for more mature books and those can always continue, but TPTB need to get their comics back in the hands of kids to make sure they still have fans in the future. The movies and crap cartoons can only do so much to draw children into the characters.

Imagine if unsold comics were donated to schools and libraries how many more kids would get into them. First comic I read was a hardcover graphic novel of 80's era Hulk stories. Checked it out from school like every other few weeks in the 1st grade...

Comment

I don't believe comics in the sense of periodicals made of image and words together will end. It's a medium and one that makes sense. But how it's made and sold is probably going to change in some way. Maybe it will become more independent and rare, but it won't die altogether.

Comment

Exactly. The only thing that DC or Marvel shutting down publications would do is free up the market for more indy publishers like Image and Dynamite as well as others like IDW and Darkhorse. Those may not be enough to keep comic shops afloat, but older back issues for characters now out of publication would go up in value.

Its gonna be like when superheroes were mostly out the window and comics became all about cowboys, military, romance, and horror.

Comment

The industry isn't going under. If nothing else, it could cater almost exclusively to speculators to keep going -- which is just about what it's doing now.

But a merger of DC and Marvel would generate great interest in the mainstream media and would sell a lot of comics. It would sell a lot of movie tickets too.

Comment

Marvel Studios will eventually make a couple crappier movies then we'll hear about 'superhero fatigue' again and eventually the movies will go back to being shit more often than not. Unless they can completely nail F4 or X-Men to carry them forward, you're not gonna keep people into superheroes with stuff like Shang Chi and the Eternals.

Comment

Working...
                              X