Thread: EARTH 2
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #460
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Green Lantern Alan Scott of Earh-2 is Gay; Writer James Robinson Interview Roundup

The comics section of the internet has been abuzz about a mysterious DC character rumored to be made gay for about two weeks now. Well, because that section was about to overload, writer James Robinson decided to just confirm those rumors instead of letting you explore it within the book, and did it with a tour stop of comics websites. Yes, Green Lantern Alan Scott is now gay. At least the Earth-2 version. Follow the links below to find out what Robinson had to say about the matter, and see a preview of Earth-2 as well. Beware of potential E2 spoilers. Between the links, there are some tidbits from each interview, for my entertainment and your enjoyment. Earth-2 will be available this upcoming Wednesday.

James Robinson talks with IGN
Quote:
He said that he realized the New 52 would be losing Obsidian – Alan Scott’s biological son, who was actually gay himself – and so his solution was to bring that trait to Alan.
ALAN SCOTT is Gay; Other Gender, Race Changes Coming to DC via Newsarama
Quote:
"I think you have to remember that this is a reboot. It isn't like I'm taking an old character and suddenly making this character gay. This is a brand new interpretation of this character.

Alan Scott is my favorite Golden Age character. So I'm very protective of him, and I'm very reverent of him. And you'll see the character that he is, in terms of his heroism, his goodness, his leadership, his dynamic, his Type A personality."
James Robinson Talks Alan Scott, DC's Gay Green Lantern via CBR
Quote:
"When I was first trying to work out who he was in terms of the archetype, I saw him as part Mark Zuckerberg and part David Geffen. David Geffen is a very openly gay man who's a very, very successful billionaire. Since Alan is out there in the internet and new media, he's been able to achieve a lot of that wealth and that public attention at a younger age. But in terms of his sexuality, I've been asked if people know he's gay. And Alan Scott is a very forthright, type-A personality. When we discover that he's gay in issue #2, it's not like he's coming out. He's gay."
Interview: James Robinson Reveals DC's Latest LGBT Character via ComicVine
Quote:
"At first I'm setting up the team and dealing with threats to the world and everything, but there will be breather moments where we do see what people get up to outside of being a superhero. So yes, you will see romantic relationships."

"Remember, this is a reboot. Not a relaunch. There are sweeping changes that were made in the DC Universe and one of those is that Jade and Obsidian couldn't exist because Alan Scott is just too young -- he's about 27 years old now. So, they couldn't exist in that way but because they were popular characters I have been thinking of a way that they could exist that I might try and implement in the future, but that won't be for a while yet."
DC Comics' Green Lantern relaunched as gay superhero via New York Post
Quote:
He ran his idea by the bosses at DC, "who signed off on it without hesitation."
Gay Green Lantern may be seen in a different light via USA Today
Quote:
The Green Lantern most readers know is Hal Jordan, the man with the green power ring in DC's main Green Lantern series and the hero Ryan Reynolds played in the Green Lantern movie. He and Alan Scott will meet one day, Robinson says, but in the meantime the writer's making sure they're completely different characters, both in personality and powers.

"When they're firing their rings at the same time, you'll be able to tell which energy is which," he says. "That's a very important thing so that it sets them apart."

Artist Nicola Scott's orders were clear, too: Make Alan Scott a big, strapping, handsome man that everyone would instinctively follow and love. "No short order but right up my alley," she says.

"Alan strikes me as an incredibly open, honest and warm man, a natural leader and absolutely the right choice to be guardian of the Earth. His sexuality is incidental. Every time I draw him I love him even more."
Interview with James Robinson via iFanboy
Quote:
"With Alan Scott being about 27 years old, it’s hard for him to have had children, but I’ve actually come up with a potential idea of a way to get those two characters into Earth 2 and I’ll see if I can work on that in the second year maybe."

Click the cover for a quick Earth 2 PREVIEW

Last edited by W.West; 06-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote