• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WonderCon 2013

WonderCon - hopes fade to black for a return to San Francisco in the Spring

September 1, 2012
    By: Bill Watters

In an interview with Publishers Weekly, Comic-Con International, announced that they would not be returning next Spring to San Francisco's Moscone Center. This is hardly a surprise as CCI officials had been telling representatives for talent as early as this year's WonderCon that it would be, "Definitely returning to Anaheim in '13."

In addition, there had never been any particular secret in the Bay Area that CCI had been wanting to expand into Southern California for a Spring event - in part with the implied intent to keep Wizard Entertainment from getting ensconced with one of their own events.

With the 2012 construction going on at the Moscone Center, it gave CCI the reason it needed to move from the Bay Area to Anaheim.

Since WonderCon this year was while not as successful as it had been at San Francisco, it was enough to make it worth making turns to keep it around.

Publishers Weekly is reporting that Moscone Center management had informed CCI that there were no Spring dates available in 2013. Moscone did express that there might be dates in the Fall, but could not give a definite answer until this October.

With the chance of winding up with neither dates if CCI passed on the window to secure the Anaheim convention center, they decided to commit to returning to Anaheim in the Spring, and to also pursue Fall/Winter dates (probably around October) for a Moscone based event. “We thought long and hard about it. If we do get the fall dates in Moscone then WonderCon will be in SF and we’ll have to name the Anaheim show something else," said David Glanzer, Comic-Con International's vice president of marketing and public relations.

What effect all this may have on the existing Fall San Francisco based event, APE, has yet to be determined. At the same time, an extended absence of WonderCon as a Spring event in the Bay Area isn't really the end of the world, especially if it simply moves to the Fall. Other events have been developing in to help fill the void, such as with the wild growth and success seen by this year's Big Wow! convention in San Jose as well as the the slow expansion of Fanime into other genres.

With Moscone management continuing to be blamed for an apparent apathy in retaining WonderCon as an event, even if an event returns in 2012, it would seem that it may only be a stop-gap measure.

We have sent emails for further comment to Moscone Center management and will be updating you as the saga continues.

Comic-Con International (CCI) commented on Facebook regarding this article:

Your comment "This is hardly a surprise as CCI officials had been telling representatives for talent as early as this year's WonderCon that it would be, "Definitely returning to Anaheim in '13." "is categorically incorrect. Comic-Con NEVER told officials of talent or any others that we would return to Anaheim. The plan has always been to return to San Francisco.

Also this comment "In addition, there had never been any particular secret in the Bay Area that CCI had been wanting to expand into Southern California for a Spring event - in part with the implied intent to keep Wizard Entertainment from getting ensconced with one of their own events." is also incorrect as Wizard had already established a show in Anaheim. You'll remember that before announcing WC's 2012 move, a join release had to be issued by Wizard, Reed and Comic-Con.

David Glanzer
    Spokesperson
    Comic-Con International
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

I read CCI's response on Facebook and wondered where it was coming from and who they were responding to. Now I know...

Either way, I don't really care and I'm not going to worry about it. If they return to SF, great! If not, I might try ECCC again.

Comment

I care.

WonderCon was my first experience for a comic convention and it was in my backyard. So, it's very disappointing to me to have WonderCon being relocated to Anaheim. If it's in Anahiem in 2013, I'll try to attend this year.

However, from the article, it would appear the organizers of WonderCon is trying to secure an October 2013 date at Moscone Center.
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

WonderCon in October is NOT WonderCon. If they want me to care, they will stop all the double-talk come out and say that they're trying to keep the show in SF, or at least in Northern California.

WonderCon was my first comic convention experience as well, but if they don't care enough to give us a concrete answer and definite dates, why should we? If they want to pussyfoot around, I'll happily spend my money elsewhere.

Comment

Why October? That's just asking for people to split between WonderCon and NYCC.

Comment

^Perhaps that's an underlying objective since the two shows are not affiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
              WonderCon in October is NOT WonderCon. If they want me to care, they will stop all the double-talk come out and say that they're trying to keep the show in SF, or at least in Northern California.

WonderCon was my first comic convention experience as well, but if they don't care enough to give us a concrete answer and definite dates, why should we? If they want to pussyfoot around, I'll happily spend my money elsewhere.
              I actually wouldn't mind if WonderCon was in October, because I wouldn't be able to make to NYCC. Plus, it would just give me another convention to attend locally.

I don't think the organizers are pussyfooting around. The article notes that there are no available dates in the spring at Mosone Center and therefore are trying to secure dates in Oct. 2013. If they wanted to book WonderCon for Anaheim for 2013, they would have done it already. I believe the organizers are trying to make it work in San Francisco, it's trying to find open dates that's the problem.

Originally posted by W.West View Post
              Why October? That's just asking for people to split between WonderCon and NYCC.
              Available dates at Moscone Center.

As noted in the article posted above:

Publishers Weekly is reporting that Moscone Center management had informed CCI that there were no Spring dates available in 2013. Moscone did express that there might be dates in the Fall, but could not give a definite answer until this October.

Comment

I appreciate the effort that they are putting forth to try and keep WonderCon in SF.
                A teacher affects eternity; He can never tell where his influence stops.

-Henry Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                  I don't think the organizers are pussyfooting around. The article notes that there are no available dates in the spring at Mosone Center and therefore are trying to secure dates in Oct. 2013. If they wanted to book WonderCon for Anaheim for 2013, they would have done it already. I believe the organizers are trying to make it work in San Francisco, it's trying to find open dates that's the problem.
                  I disagree. They knew there were no dates available for a while now because of the renovation. Dates aren't magically going to make themselves available. Instead of working on a contingency plan and attempting to move the show to Santa Clara, San Jose or San Mateo, all viable Northern California venues, they're waiting around to see what happens, which doesn't make sense.

For me, the WonderCon is a Spring show, a warm-up and prelude to the SDCC; it just doesn't belong in the Fall. Perhaps competition against NYCC is one of the motivating factors in moving the event to October.

Comment

I hear what you're saying. However, I don't know if the other cities you mentioned have the same cache as San Francisco. Meaning, I don't know if it will draw people outside California to attend WonderCon if wasn't in San Francisco. I would think attendance may drop if WonderCon wasn't in San Francisco. I mean, it would be like moving SDCC to Anahiem or Los Angeles or some other city in Southern California.

It makes sense to keep WonderCon in San Francisco.

San Jose has Big Wowfest which is typically in May and that has been my warm up for SDCC. I wouldn't mind taking an hour flight to Anahiem and attend WonderCon. Moreover, I would mind attending an Anaheim Con in the Spring, Big Wowfest in late spring, SDCC in the summer and a San Francisco Con in the fall.

Comment

Yeah, San Francisco would certainly have a higher visitor/tourist appeal, but that's where clever marketing comes in. I've been to attractions in other cities that let you know what else is in the vicinity. New York does a good job of clever marketing.

While it does make sense to keep the show in SF, it doesn't make sense to completely move the show six months forward when there are other options that haven't been explored. I think it's poor preparation and planning on their part.

Comment

Looks like WonderCon will be in Anaheim for 2013. BOHICA, No-Cal. That stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again. You suck, WonderCon!!

http://www.comic-con.org/wc/
                        Sylent_Asassin
                        Black Lantern
                        Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 10-16-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

+1

Comment

So far they dont have two other events bookedfor the convention center at the same time for next year.

http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.c...tCalendar.aspx

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

^Cool.

Eventhough I'm bummed out that WonderCon won't be in my backyard, I'm planning on attending WonderCon 2013.

Comment

Working...
                              X