The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sector 0 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Green Lantern News Discussion Thread (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23728)

Hypo 02-06-2015 11:38 AM

The Green Lantern News Discussion Thread

The state of the Green Lantern line post-Convergence is starting to take shape:

Continuing Series
  • Green Lantern by writer Robert Venditti & artist Billy Tan
  • Sinestro by writer Cullen Bunn & artist Brad Walker

New Series
  • Green Lantern: Lost Army by writer Cullen Bunn & artists Jesus Saiz & Javi Pina
  • Green Lantern returns to the Justice League in Justice League of America by Bryan Hitch
  • Omega Men by writer Tom King & artist Barnaby Bagenda

http://i.imgur.com/uQa1tk8.png

buffalorock 02-06-2015 12:52 PM

Wow, really interesting development. I guess Van Jensen is no longer around the GL family? Interesting to see what The Lost Army is all about, should be in good hands though.

W.West 02-06-2015 01:28 PM

Bryan Hitch on art. Cool. Bryan Hitch on writing...dunno.

Espronceda 02-06-2015 02:12 PM

I don't know about Hitch's skills as a writer, but I like his art. I saw an art preview on CBR and it looks like Hal is back with the JLA!

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-06-2015 03:27 PM

So...three GL titles? GL, GL: The Lost Army, and Sinestro?

That sounds much better for a monthly schedule. I'm very curious to what they are doing with GL and GL:TLA.

I hope Tan isn't REALLY staying on GL. He's the biggest problem that book has.

Hypo 02-06-2015 03:28 PM

Three titles and two writers, hopefully the downsizing the line gives the books a tight focus.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-06-2015 03:33 PM

Wait a minute! Jesus Saiz is drawing the new GL title?!? Why the FUCK is he not being put on the main GL title?!? That guy is awesome! You put him on one of the spinoff books?

Hypo 02-06-2015 03:35 PM

Because: Billy. Fucking. Tan. /s

W.West 02-06-2015 05:19 PM

Saiz won't even be on the book that long. He never is.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-06-2015 05:34 PM

He's been on Swampy for about 20 issues with a few interruptions.

Trey Strain 02-06-2015 06:54 PM

I'm guessing that Guy and Kyle will be folded into the GLC with John. But Sinestro will keep a title? Seriously?

One good thing might come of this. The damned emotional spectrum might be getting flushed.

jonasmorking 02-06-2015 07:29 PM

This will be great

I'm a positive guy, I think this will be perfect. I hope that in time the main GL title will be good (havn't read it yet) and for me the best thing is to have one GLC book (I actually often prefer these books). I don't really have an opinion of the Sinestro book yet.

Andrew NDB 02-06-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy Smasher (Post 882289)
I'm guessing that Guy and Kyle will be folded into the GLC with John. But Sinestro will keep a title? Seriously?

Terrible state of affairs. Terrible.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-06-2015 07:40 PM

I'd be fine with the Sinestro title running its course and going away to the comic rack in the sky by the end of the year. It doesn't feel like a book that should be an ongoing and should have been a miniseries. It would leave us with two GL titles. I'm done with this cheesy multicolored crap. They could easily make GL: The Lost Army a book that stars Guy, John an Kyle and make it great.

If they care enough to that is.

Trey Strain 02-06-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 882297)
I'd be fine with the Sinestro title running its course and going away to the comic rack in the sky by the end of the year. It doesn't feel like a book that should be an ongoing and should have been a miniseries. It would leave us with two GL titles. I'm done with this cheesy multicolored crap. They could easily make GL: The Lost Army a book that stars Guy, John an Kyle and make it great.

I think you're right. They're just going to continue Sinestro's title until the sales inevitably erode, then let it die.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-06-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy Smasher (Post 882301)
I think you're right. They're just going to continue Sinestro's title until the sales inevitably erode, then let it die.

I think so. And it makes sense. Keep the title running while there's an audience, and kill it when it's run its course. It's not really bad, and (IMO) it's the best one of the current GL titles. I just don't think it's necessary. To me, repairing GL proper IS necessary.

CeltiC5-27 02-06-2015 09:06 PM

Hal's title is continuing unchanged and he's officially returning to the Justice League? Cool!!!

As for Billy Tan staying, I guess I'm okay with it. He's not consistently good but he has his moments.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...-39-ESCAPE.jpg

Hypo 02-06-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 (Post 882329)
Hal's title is continuing unchanged and he's officially returning to the Justice League? Cool!!!

That first part is not cool.

Booster Beetle 02-06-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 (Post 882329)

As for Billy Tan staying, I guess I'm okay with it. He's not consistently good but he has his moments.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...-39-ESCAPE.jpg

That is one god-awful face

Trey Strain 02-07-2015 12:56 AM

Keep in mind though that Red Lanterns and New Guardians were selling well enough to continue, which is encouraging. At some point DC might well try to expand the franchise again, without the emotional spectrum.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-07-2015 03:53 AM

I hope they give it a few years. If they add more titles they'll just give in to endless, hollow crossovers again. I doubt they can even get three right. I'd rather have two that some effort was put into.

Trey Strain 02-07-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 882398)
I hope they give it a few years. If they add more titles they'll just give in to endless, hollow crossovers again. I doubt they can even get three right. I'd rather have two that some effort was put into.

Yes, it need to be done RIGHT, after re-establishing Guy and Kyle as GLs. No gimmicks with a short shelf like the emotional spectrum.

DC has a very long history of trying to turn its "other" GLs into something besides GLs, and it's failed every time. You've got an embarrassment of riches with all these viable characters as Green Lanterns, so use it.

Big Blue Lantern 02-07-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booster Beetle (Post 882353)
That is one god-awful face

That's the worst part of Tan's style: faces. Hal always looks particularly bizarre.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-07-2015 08:02 PM

I can't unsee Tan's Hal mask. He butchers the goddamn thing.

Orion Pax 02-07-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 882297)

If things goes like FE said, Sinestro gets turned into a BL soon enough. I mean everything we saw previously is gearing up for the FE one shots.